SASS Wire Forum

shotgun rules?

Shooter's Handbook Page 10

SHOTGUN REQUIREMENTS

Any side-by-side or single shot shotgun typical of the period from approximately 1860

until 1899 with or without external hammers, having single or double triggers is allowed.

Automatic ejectors are allowed on single shot break action, lever and pump action shotguns

ONLY. Side-by-side shotguns may not use automatic ejectors. Lever action, tubular feed,

exposed hammer shotguns of the period are allowed, whether original or replicas. The only

slide action shotgun allowed is the Model 1897 Winchester shotgun, whether original or

replica. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of shotgun and ammunition to be

used. Military configurations are not allowed (i.e., trench guns). Please see the shooting

categories for further information.

SHOTGUN GAUGES

• Side-by-side, single shot, and lever action shotguns must be centerfire of at least 20 gauge

and no larger the 10 gauge.

• Slide action shotguns must be centerfire of at least 16 gauge and no larger than 12 gauge.

• Side-by-side, single shot, and lever action centerfire shotguns in .410 gauge are allowed

within the Buckaroo Category only.

Sounds like you have not yet been to a match.

I would highly suggest you to do so before buying ANYTHING for SASS.

A lot of things become very clear once you go and watch one.

And folks at most matches are happy to answer questions and let you try there guns.

For years I thought ventilated ribs weren't allowed. I can't find anything saying you can't use them now. Has something changed in the rules?

Thanks,

Mosey West

An external modification, such as a vent rib, is not allowed in Main Match competition, but can often be used in side matches.

I have an old Blackhawk with a vent rib. It has NO IMPACT on performance, but it IS an external Mod. Sometimes I use it with a pretty stout .357 load for the "Long Range Pistol" side match. But it is a no-no for a Main Match sidearm.

I'm sure someone will have posted the "External Modifications" rule before I get this note typed.

FWIW..YMMV..SOso

For years I thought ventilated ribs weren't allowed. I can't find anything saying you can't use them now. Has something changed in the rules?

Thanks,

Mosey West

Page 4 "Original barrels may be replaced with new barrels of correct styles (e.g., round, octagon,

half-round) for that particular model firearm."

I may be wrong, but I don't think vent rib barrels were available until around 1950.

Archived