SASS Wire Forum

Anyone else having trouble getting .45 ammo

Blue Steel Duke

Since our kids are grown and on their own, all of our SASS guns are loaded along with the others, and I especially like to have my Henry loaded and handy if needed, plus it goes with me on trips into the woods, but my choice of factory ammo seems to be either subsonic CAS ammo or +P JHP's (which aren't recommended for tube fed rifles). I've been looking for a pretty hot round with a SWC or some version, but no luck. Any ideas or suggestions?

BSD

Contact "Mike" at --- ammodirect.com. He can do whatever ya need, good pard too!!

You can look no futher than the Rossi Judge for the shortage of factory HV 45 Colt. This was told to me by a Local Gun Shop Owner. The Judge is a hot item now.

The Judge owners do not reload. And gobble up all the 45 Colt they can find.

I see some at our Glendale Cabela's now and then.

I have seen ammo but brass is getting hard to get in bulk. Midway has nickle plated on back order till mid feb. Want nickle to make it easier to tell from the 44 mag stuff.

Midway (and others) have always been hit or miss on 45 stuff and as such I have found it best to get my order in and thus get in on a back order and just wait. It will eventually come through. My preference has always been nickeled Remington brass. My last order of 1000 rnds of Remington brass took about three weeks to come through. Some times though you can piece meal it by acquiring it through different lots, ie. instead of buying one box of 1000, getting two boxes of 500 or 10 of 100 etc. So when they seem to be out of your particular brand, they may not exactly be out, just out of the lot sized box that you are after. Smithy.

You can look no futher than the Rossi Judge for the shortage of factory HV 45 Colt. This was told to me by a Local Gun Shop Owner. The Judge is a hot item now.

Interesting comment. A few weeks back I was up in Wisconsin for a wedding, and my Hotel was across the street from a brand new Gander Mountain, so of course I spent a few hours (and dollars) there. The first thing I noticed was that they had 4 times the amount of space and inventory of rifles compared to our store here in Indianapolis, but as I browsed on I also noticed that instead of the 30 or 40 feet of counter space for handguns, they had one small 6 feet glass case, and it was pretty much full of different versions of the Taurus Judge :rolleyes: Then I remembered that I was in a State that didn't allow concealed carry or even issue permits, so the stock of over sized home defense weapons made sense. It's a beautiful state, but I shore wouldn't want ta live there! :blush:

BSD

For optimum performance we do not recommend storing LEVERevoultion ammunition in tubular magazines for extended periods, as this can result in tip deformation.

So does that make them more UNSAFE? What about the effects of temperature on the polymer tip? Does extreme cold make it harder?

I wouldn't shoot anything hotter than CAS loads in ANY Toggle Link Rifle!! ;)

You could end up with the bolt in your right eye!

As hated as the Henry Big Boy is, it will handle the hottest ammo out there. :FlagAm:

BSD

Archived