SASS Wire Forum

Another Newbie Howdy

Chickahominy Charlie

Just got my SASS stuff in the mail yesterday, so I guess I'm "legal." :D

Just wanted to say "Howdy" to all the good folks here on the wire. I've been lurkin' on here for the better part of a month. I observed my first local shoot in early December. I went to another a week later, and I took my 13 y/o daughter with me. We're both hooked now. :rolleyes: That, of course, is good and bad. Instead of "buyin' for one" I've managed to double my initial costs......but I wouldn't have it any other way. (She got her stuff in the mail yesterday too....ever seen a teenager paradin' 'round the house in her pajamas with a SASS badge on?) :D

I seen/read the threads on "Is Your Club Friendly" etc. and there's a couple of things I'll say....comin' from the newbie standpoint. First, I can't say enough about how great the folks at the local clubs have treated us. Everyone is helpful, nice, and unbelievably hospitable. Folks have made calls and posts (on the SASS Classifieds) tryin' to help us acquire guns (on a budget) which lead to us meeting a couple of other wonderful SASS folks who sold us 3 pistols to get us started.....and gave my daughter a complete leather rig to get her started and other "extras" to help us out. We shot our first match right before Christmas. My daughter and I shared a pistol and club members provided not only the long guns for us to use but also the ammo. The fella I've come to think of as my "mentor" has provided the loan of a holster rig for me and supplemented me with a huge amount of brass as well as a "loaner cart". I spent most of Christmas afternoon and the day after loading a bunch of rounds for our New Year's Day shoot (yeah, the ammo requirement doubled too.... :D ). We can't wait for Saturday.

So, all of you kind folks should be proud of your breatheren and sisters in the Orange County Regulators and Up the Creek Gang. They have provided a wonderful, welcoming environment to "the newbies" and have done a great job of promoting SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting. I doubt that I'd have put this much investment (with more to come) in this hobby/sport if'n the folks didn't present themselves the way they have. I owe all of them (and the kind folks I purchased our first leg irons from) a great big THANKS!

I look forward to meetin' more of ya'll as time goes by. We ain't real fast (yet :blush: ), but we do tend to hit what we be shootin' at..... :P

agreed great post...and WELCOME!

Sounds like my story (except it was my 30yo son), and agree 100%...the "People" do make this what it is. The reminants of "old school" sharing, comaradory, and the excitement of compitition...what more could one want!!!

Again, welcome!

We are proud to have "Chickahominy Charlie" and "Ellie Mae Maverick" as our newest members!! They are really great folks, and should be a great asset to the future of our club and the sport in general. By the way, they really do "shoot straight" and true!!

Your pard, Capt Hill

Glad to see you on the wire. Sure enjoyed shooting with you two. Pards here are two really great people. We will see you two Saterday

Welcome Welcome Welcome!!

I will tell you from a parent's point of view...

it's so awesome to watch your kid shoot and then get better and better

Her friends might think it's alittle strange that a girl is shooting but that's okay. We know how cool it is!

And for you and your daughter to be shooting together...really great... building memories

I hope I get to meet both of you soon.

The folks at Badlands Bar 3 in English, TX are going to start shooting the 3rd weekend of each month.

Come hang out with us

A big welcome to both of you and the best of luck in your gear acquisition (all part of the fun of SASS). I'm envious of you as I have three kids aged 16 to 20 and I can barely beg them to come shooting with me, but none of them will volunteer to take part of SASS. Who can figure? Guns aren't a problem and neither is ammo. My daughters do state a big reluctance to the "dress up" part, but I've even downplayed that stating that the first go around didn't have to be so formal. Still no doing. So enjoy this time you have with your daughter to its fullest as you are a lucky man to have this opportunity to be able to share your sport with her and raise her in something you love and will be able to pass on. Smithy.

Welcome to the fire!!!!

Enjoy yourownself, shoot safe, and by all means, have fun!

HOWDY,

Welcome to the fire. Great post Pard. Glad to hear that your off to a great start with SASS & CAS. I got hooked on our sport much the same welcoming way. The greatest friends that I have ever come to know are from my association with SASS & CAS. This sport gets better and better with each passing year, and the large annual matches are the best, you don't want to miss them. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you on the wire.

Happy trails,

Ricochet Roy

Welcome, we are glad to have both of you :rolleyes: If you are ever up here in SW Colorado, drop by for a visit. I am sure you will find us the same great folks as down there in Texas :blush:

Welcome aboard.

Yes, this truly is a family sport. I will have my daughter shooting with me this year, and really looking forward to it. You are associated with a great bunch of people, in both of those clubs. A nicer bunch of people you wont find, friendly, helpfull and a great bunch of shooters as well. Im looking forward to making a trip down there to shoot again. Wished I could make the New Years shoot, but it doesnt look like its going to happen. But....Bayou Blast is right around the corner and I do plan to be there. Im looking forward to meeting you and your daughter.

Welcome, Charlie and Ellie!!! Have fun shooting, and have a Happy New Year!!

Hi-Yo and Awaaaaaaay,

That Masked Man

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the fire. I think you and your daughter are going to have a great time. We haven't met but I hear you are from my old camp area, Silsbee. But, I also heard you might even be from Caney Head. :unsure:

Holler if you get down south county way.

Nope, we ain't quite got the Caneyhead disease....but we're carriers. :FlagAm:

I'd hoped you make it to the New Year's shoot.....I wanna bend yer ear on them fabulous 92's I've been hearin' about.

Thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome as well. Ellie Mae (seems strange to call my daughter by a different name :FlagAm: ) and I got to put 150 rounds downrange the other day with our new pistolas. She's chompin' at the bit to shoot again on Saturday.

Chick

Archived