SASS Wire Forum

California pards buying ammo

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

Howdy IRT!

Well, somehow I just knew you would reply to my post :-) And maybe you are right, IF the liberals take over Las Vegas and IF they take over the state legislature, POSSIBLY we could see some gun laws change. BUT, in the first place, "our" liberals aren't as liberal as "your" liberals. Secondly, as to Harry Reid, even though I didn't vote for him, he has consistently been given high marks by the NRA. He's been in the senate for something like 16 years or so and has never, I repeat, NEVER, said he'd like stronger, more restrictive gun laws in Nevada. He was the driving force to obtain more than 2400 acres from the BLM to build what will become one of the best gun ranges in the country. No, I don't like him, won't vote for him, but he is a friend of the shooter, make no mistake about that.

We also elected a republican to take a dem out of the House and returned a republican governor to the state.

You and I will have to agree to disagree about whether California is the bell weather of national gun laws. Personally, no offense, but I believe you think too highly of your state's ability to shape national politics when it comes to gun laws. You've had an assault weapons ban for what, 15 years? Enlighten me, what other states have said "because California has banned assault weapons, so will we." You've banned 50 bmg. Same question. And then there is the handgun drop test, the lead ban and now the ammo bans. Sure, Mass, Ill., N.J., NY and Washington D.C. have many of these bans, but not because California banned these items, they were either first or did the bans simultaneously.

Can it happen in any state? Sure. Will it happen in all states? Not unless it becomes federal law. Can that happen? You bet. But again, I don't think it will in my lifetime. Now, I don't expect to live much over 20 more years or so, so let that be the test. In 20 years, if Nevada has all the gun laws that California has, by God, I'll buy you a brand-new wax bullet rifle to use in SASS :rolleyes:

Bystander

Problem is, he doesn't have anything to do with Nevada laws, he votes for federal laws.

Reid's voting record on the issues

Voted YES on allowing firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak trains. (Apr 2009)

Voted YES on prohibiting foreign & UN aid that restricts US gun ownership. (Sep 2007)

Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)

Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)

Voted YES on background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)

Voted NO on more penalties for gun & drug violations. (May 1999)

Voted NO on loosening license & background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)

Voted YES on maintaining current law: guns sold without trigger locks. (Jul 1998)

Rated B by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record. (Aug 2010)

Notice how he can't seem to make up his mind. He'll vote one way one time and then the complete opposite the next time. It seems like a contradiction to use the word "consistent" when talking about Harry Reid but, he is. He consistently votes whichever way he feels with earn him the most political capitol. He doesn't give a damn about the people of Nevada, or anyone else for that matter. All Harry Reid cares about is Harry Reid. :blush:

Sounds like California is going to be worse than Canada when it comes to firearms.

Sir as a pearson who spends six months in Arizona and six months in Ontario Canada, I can buy as many firearms as I can afford, and as many components as a retail outfit can, I can travel the length and breadth of Canada hassel free. CanYou say the same, NEW JERSEY, NY and many of the other eastern states. Surely as a Law Dog it is obvious you do not have a clear picture of Canadian firearms Requirements, or you would know that any American with a clean record may apply for the same privaleges as all of the folks up home, and travel hassel free following very little paperwork and commonsence. KA Mule

It will only happen in states where the libs have taken over the state political regime.

It will not. You are wrong.

Vermont is arguably the most liberal state in the union, and it has virtually no gun or ammunition laws, whatsoever. In fact, it has so few gun laws that, if we want to carry concealed under another state's reciprocity, we have to get a New Hampshire visitor's CC permit because Vermonters CC without permits. Even conservative states won't recognize a Vermonter's right to carry concealed, without a piece of paper.

Every conservative state in the country has more restrictive gun laws than does the most liberal state.

It will not. You are wrong.

Vermont is arguably the most liberal state in the union, and it has virtually no gun or ammunition laws, whatsoever. In fact, it has so few gun laws that, if we want to carry concealed under another state's reciprocity, we have to get a New Hampshire visitor's CC permit because Vermonters CC without permits. Even conservative states won't recognize a Vermonter's right to carry concealed, without a piece of paper.

Every conservative state in the country has more restrictive gun laws than does the most liberal state.

uhhh...yeah...

List the top 10 most liberal states...and compare them to the top 10 most conservative states...let me know how that goes.

There are always exceptions to the rule.

:rolleyes:

I find all of the laws concerning firearms, ammunition and such the biggest joke

ever played on the folks of California! WAKE UP CALIFORNIA...when the dust settles

all your going to see are bad guys just waiting to take from you all the precious

things you hold dear to your hearts! They might even take your life or the life

of someone you care about! If you think you will be protected by law enforcement

remember they can't be everywhere at the same time! WAKE UP CALIFORNIA

God Bless America :rolleyes:

Happy trails

QDG 48525 :blush:

all i have to say is Sonoma county just elected a pro gun sheriff and he setting up class to start issuing CCW

List the top 10 most liberal states...and compare them to the top 10 most conservative states...let me know how that goes.

I'm not interested in "The 10 Most..." My response was to the claim that a liberal state automatically means tougher gun laws. It demonstrably doesn't.

There are always exceptions to the rule.

Yeah, like California. It's only one state, and there's no law that says California rules the nation.

California as a whole is in bad shape when it comes to firearms and ammo!

Here in Bakersfield the Sheriff grants more CCW permits than anywhere

else in CALIFORNIA. We have to get on the ball and ban together to

protect our rights! NRA's a great way to go! :blink:

California as a whole is in bad shape when it comes to firearms and ammo!

Let everyone in Goverment know your not happy about the laws being passed.

Sure looks like reloading might be next........I hope not, but who knows?

Here in Bakersfield the Sheriff grants more CCW permits than anywhere

else in CALIFORNIA. We have to get on the ball and ban together to

protect our rights! NRA's a great way to go! :blink:

"L.T. Trish:

And to all who say, if it happens in California, then so goes the nation...Well like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree. I have yet to see any of the recently (last two decades) enacted restrictive gun laws that California has passed spread outside that state to any extent."

Point taken.

"By the way, I'm not in the least saying that you Californians shouldn't fight this tooth and nail. If I lived in California, I would be on the front lines trying to stop this insanity. All I am arguing is that I'm tired of seeing the people in California giving the blanket warning to everyone else who doesn't live in the state, "You need to watch this carefully and write your e-mails and letters because if this law is passed, your state is next." That said, if I lived in California, I would be looking to move out, unfortunately I truly believe that the war is lost in that state. And that saddens me because I think California is one of the most beautiful places in the world I have ever been to."

When I write/wrote "so goes the nation", all I am feeling is, if one state falls, what is to follow? Do we just grab the dry eraser and rub "California" off of the board? Do we just all move out and count our losses? After many years we cannot seem to get California on board with what this country is all about.

I was born and raised in Southern California. I love So Cal, or at least what it once was. If I were to leave Cal, I could never afford to come back.

I have voted time and time again to unseat the incumbents who have done nothing for me and nothing for the people who continually vote them in. So far I have not been successful.

Besides this issue, our border issues, and having to worry about whether somebody who has broken into my house is going to rape/threaten me with a lethal weapon or not before I can defend myself in kind, I am becoming VERY angry, not scared, ANGRY.

Thanks for the reply....

L.T.

I'm not interested in "The 10 Most..." My response was to the claim that a liberal state automatically means tougher gun laws. It demonstrably doesn't.

Yeah, like California. It's only one state, and there's no law that says California rules the nation.

Good Liberal answer...but yer fooling no one into thinking that a liberal state is no different then a conservative state when it comes to gun laws.

Of course we could do further analysis by examining Cities...that would be fun!!!!

:FlagAm:

"L.T. Trish:

And to all who say, if it happens in California, then so goes the nation...Well like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree. I have yet to see any of the recently (last two decades) enacted restrictive gun laws that California has passed spread outside that state to any extent."

Point taken.

"By the way, I'm not in the least saying that you Californians shouldn't fight this tooth and nail. If I lived in California, I would be on the front lines trying to stop this insanity. All I am arguing is that I'm tired of seeing the people in California giving the blanket warning to everyone else who doesn't live in the state, "You need to watch this carefully and write your e-mails and letters because if this law is passed, your state is next." That said, if I lived in California, I would be looking to move out, unfortunately I truly believe that the war is lost in that state. And that saddens me because I think California is one of the most beautiful places in the world I have ever been to."

When I write/wrote "so goes the nation", all I am feeling is, if one state falls, what is to follow? Do we just grab the dry eraser and rub "California" off of the board? Do we just all move out and count our losses? After many years we cannot seem to get California on board with what this country is all about.

I was born and raised in Southern California. I love So Cal, or at least what it once was. If I were to leave Cal, I could never afford to come back.

I have voted time and time again to unseat the incumbents who have done nothing for me and nothing for the people who continually vote them in. So far I have not been successful.

Besides this issue, our border issues, and having to worry about whether somebody who has broken into my house is going to rape/threaten me with a lethal weapon or not before I can defend myself in kind, I am becoming VERY angry, not scared, ANGRY.

Thanks for the reply....

L.T.

+1.

After 34 years serving in the military as well as in our commercial market economy (and living in the increasingly bankrupt "Peoples Republic of California" for the last several years) I may finally be losing my optimism that all of us conservative, [b]very involved[/b] California citizens and voters can really change what is happening in Sacramento. After this last election I was greatly disappointed and I'm very seriously reconsidering my 30 year old plan to retire (in two years) in CA.

It will be most interesting to see how this California ammunition law goes in the courts - the precedents set in these court cases WILL have national implications for ALL the states, like it or not - so what happens in CA is important to all.

We informed Californians will fight it tooth and nail. The volume of contacts with our national legislators, particularly Senators who are chartered to have the bigger, national picture, is in fact important. While out of state contacts to senators may not equal the value of in state constituents, the sheer volume of the comments DOES have a weight and value, most recently demonstrated in the 2008 immigration reform bills.

I'll stop there to hopefully keep this thread from "political" destruction.

Happy New year to All!!!

Harvey

Harvey, the relocated peoples of Ridgecrest would welcome you with open arms here in Nevada..... We are starting our own enclave here in Carson/Minden Area.... Just saddle up and come on when your ready

Cronus Walker

:FlagAm:;);)

Hey CW,

We miss you and your contributions down here - I've heard the stories. Sorry I never got to shoot with you before you moved up to Neeevada!'

I've been up in that area many times each year, and love it! It is on the short list of candidates if we finally decide to give up the California ghost ( I still have hope, in spite of the last election).

Good to hear from you and hope you can make it down occasionally for a shoot with the RRV. As I do get up your way occasionally, I'd be interested in maybe joining a shoot up there (love the countryside).

Have a Happy New Year!

Harvey

In one sense us Californians are just going back to the way it was not too long ago with the ammunition thing (no I'm not saying that's a good thing)! Some years back we could not mail order ammo and always had to buy it directly from an ammunition dealer signing his/her bound book with your name and address printed for easy retrieval. I seem to recall that it was for handgun ammo only and now of course it's any ammo but still very similar. We also had to wait 15 days for a handgun instead of the now 10, so things do change back and forth. I do admit that it is much more difficult to get things headed in a favorable direction than it is a negative one. It seems that how I want my politician to act is best tested by the litmus test of firearms. If he/she is pro-gun, then they will also be pro-life, against socialized healthcare etc. Everything seems to just fall into place with the rest of my beliefs, with the exception of spending and debt. These last two traits both major parties are guilty of and most of the voting public doesn't like it. So they switch things up every now and then as was the example our last election when Arnold showed that he could put us into debt with the best of them (same holds true on a national level as well). So now we have Democrats running the show. After a bit the people will see that they make us broke too so it will once again be time for a Republican (Yeah). The hope is that not too much anti gun legislation gets passed during the Democratic times that can't be undone during the Republican times. Smithy.

Good Liberal answer...but yer fooling no one into thinking that a liberal state is no different then a conservative state when it comes to gun laws.

Of course we could do further analysis by examining Cities...that would be fun!!!!

:FlagAm:

VT is a case study in oddball politics. Though largely rural, homogenous in population, etc, the politics are run out of the couple of small cities dominated by relocated massholes and Long Islandites who hug trees but are afraid of people.

As one "freedom index" put it, if you like to carry guns or smoke pot, VT is for you. IN EVERY OTHER RESPECT, it is very restrictive, taxed to death, etc.... The gun law position of VT is in a sense a sop tossed to the rural population while the rest of their lives are strangled by liberal folks. Bennington College hosted Solzynitzen in his days in exile, and he fit right in. Nuff said.

I can assure you that the informed CA residents are fighting this nonsense tooth and nail. I know Gov. Arnold's office received literally thousands of faxes, e-mails, phone calls and letters not to sign our stupid ammo bill into law. And Arnold, being the very difinition of a RINO signed it. He could have weasled it and not signed it into law and it would have been automaticlaly enacted 30 days after passage, but no...he boldly signed it proclaiming it would stop bad people from getting ammo illegally.

Oh, I think IB asked about assault weapons bans in other states. If you look, I think you'll find New Jersey, New York, Mass., Hawaii and Wasington D. C. all have almost identical AW bans as CA in place. So much for CA not being the guide for other states...hmm?

Red quiet wasting your time the people who slam California, they are going to find something to slam California about no mater what. We could have no gun laws and they would still find and always will have something negative to say about California. Most of them are haters Red even though they might say they are not.

You California Pards need to QUIT WHINING and MAN UP!

How would you like to live in a state where everytime we have a tornado it drops a Winnabago full of out-of-state tourists killing one of our leading civic leaders, get a bunch of midgets, er little people, to quit working and start partying and singing, then they wander down the highway insisiting the yellow line in the middle of the hiway is a yellow brick road, introducing witchcraft to our children, then kiill our other leading civic leader just to go back home without paying their bill?

p.s. How do you get these damn midgets to quit singing "Follow the Yellow Brick Road?"

You California Pards need to QUIT WHINING and MAN UP!

How would you like to live in a state where everytime we have a tornado it drops a Winnabago full of out-of-state tourists killing one of our leading civic leaders, get a bunch of midgets, er little people, to quit working and start partying and singing, then they wander down the highway insisiting the yellow line in the middle of the hiway is a yellow brick road, introducing witchcraft to our children, then kiill our other leading civic leader just to go back home without paying their bill?

p.s. How do you get these damn midgets to quit singing "Follow the Yellow Brick Road?"

:FlagAm::):D:blink::ph34r::)

I can't tell you in this forum

So, you're saying that Vermont has more restrictive gun laws than, say, Arizona? After all, any conservative state has better gun laws than any liberal state, right? That *is* one of the things that makes them different, right?

Adirondack Jack: "The gun law position of VT is in a sense a sop tossed to the rural population..."

Sorry, AJ, you're wrong. Vermont's gun laws, or lack of, were here long before there was an urban population. In fact, the US 2nd Amendment is only two years older than Article 9 of Vermont's constitution.

Man this is gettin good! I'm actually learnin sumthin! :D

I have a chance to retire in two years (actually semi-retire) in Cal. and live with my son who is in the music business. My son is checking out counties outside the L.A. area for houses/rentals. We'll see. My other plan is Henderson,NV but there I'll be living by myself. Anyway, Ca. gun laws are on the top of my list as far as making up my mind where to spend my twilight years. Ohio has great gun laws or lack of, but the weather sucks! Life is a trade off. If I could shoot year round in nice weather that's just great!!

IMHO Cal. gun laws are no worse than NY, NJ, D.C. and some other states. Things do change. Ohio just got Concealed carry 6 years ago. Never thought I'd see that day come but it did.

Keep this post alive. It's educational as well as entertaining.

Happy New Year, Rye

So, you're saying that Vermont has more restrictive gun laws than, say, Arizona? After all, any conservative state has better gun laws than any liberal state, right? That *is* one of the things that makes them different, right?

Adirondack Jack: "The gun law position of VT is in a sense a sop tossed to the rural population..."

Sorry, AJ, you're wrong. Vermont's gun laws, or lack of, were here long before there was an urban population. In fact, the US 2nd Amendment is only two years older than Article 9 of Vermont's constitution.

Typical...just can't address the question I put forward.

Enjoy your delusions...which of course you're entitled too...thank God it's America!

:D

Sir as a pearson who spends six months in Arizona and six months in Ontario Canada, I can buy as many firearms as I can afford, and as many components as a retail outfit can, I can travel the length and breadth of Canada hassel free. CanYou say the same, NEW JERSEY, NY and many of the other eastern states. Surely as a Law Dog it is obvious you do not have a clear picture of Canadian firearms Requirements, or you would know that any American with a clean record may apply for the same privaleges as all of the folks up home, and travel hassel free following very little paperwork and commonsence. KA Mule

Just make sure you're not trying to buy or take a 32 H&R Mag into Canada. Remember, thats an " ASSASSIN Caliber" !!! :D

Archived