SASS Wire Forum

California pards buying ammo

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

As I'm sure you know Cheaper Than Dirt will no longer be selling ammo to CA addresses. It's not pleasant to ship firearms there with the new paperwork so I guess that means ammo is restricted as well. Are more reloaders popping up in CA?

Joe

I've reloaded for so long I can't remember the last time I bought any ammo.

You do know there are about a dozen law suits waiting to be filled as soon as this law takes affect. From my understanding California DOJ doesn't even have any guide lines set up for this new law.

New law requires anyone who transfers by any means...gift, trade, sell needs to have a DOJ identification card and a hard records book for signatures and thumb print. Anyone who receives by any means...gift, trade, buy needs a DOJ buyers card.

This all goes in to place Feb 1, 2011.

One of the problems is the DOJ has not yet made public any regulations, hard bound book guideline, applications for DOJ ammunition ID cards or regulations for enforcement. Besides the Face to Face transfers Only and the no Mail Order portion that is unclear at best.

So all Californians at this time can not comply with the new law when it goes in to effect Feb 1, 2011. The law will make anyone who transfers or received ammunition without the necessary DOJ ID cards after Feb 1st a criminal.

Another problem as we can already see is out of state suppliers are already stopping their shipping to California without knowing how the law will really effect everyone. This is preemptive I'm sure. No one what's to have anything in transit on Feb 1 to avoid being caught up in this mess.

Local suppliers are preparing to not offer ammunition while the law is being tested in court.

So everyone in California can expect a dry spell when it comes to ammunition here in California until this new laws disposition is decided. And once decided it may take some time to get everything sorted out to comply with what ever the out come is.

We can hope it is over turned.

Just remember to have some boxes with fired brass in them and a shooters book from some match when you get to the produce inspection station where you will most likely start hearing ....

"You have any Fruits, Vegetables or Ammunition with you?"

;^)

Could all of our California SASS pards please move either to Arizona or Texas, so we can start praying for that state to slide into the Pacific Ocean? :rolleyes:

BSD

Are these restrictions to apply to components as well?

It sounds like any circumventing of the new regs , ie, buying out of state, would endanger your "free" status.

Joe

So reloading for personal consumption is not affected by the new law? How about purchasing reloading components?

My heart really goes out to you California pards. I thought the political groundswell in this last election would finally provide the momentum needed to clean house in the Golden State, but now I'm thinking y'all are destined to be screwed in perpetuity.

Regards, TJH

The young people who now vote in Cal do not remember Jerry Brown has already been governor. Or his dad Pat Brown was also our governor. They even voted to keep Barbara Boxer as senator, again.

Moving is an option.

I was born here and have major ties. But the largest and most important is my dad. But over the weekend he came in to the shop and asked me if I was ready. I asked, "Ready for what." He responded, "To move to AZ." He had friends visiting for AZ.

I took a box from under the bench and started pushing stuff off the work bench in to the box. He asked what was I doing. I said "Packing! You're ready to go aren't you?"

I don't think you folks understand, this law is going to make the Golden State safer. When the crooks can't go down to the gun store and purchase ammo they will quit being crooks, don't you see? There is currently a bill being considered to eliminate matches and lighters from our state so people won't smoke pot or tobacco, if you can't light them they won't hurt you, right?

Could all of our California SASS pards please move either to Arizona or Texas, so we can start praying for that state to slide into the Pacific Ocean? :rolleyes:

BSD

==========================================

The blue states are dying, hemorraging jobs and their working, taxpaying population to the red states, which are are thriving in comparison. The 2010 census figures point that out. Blues states losing population will lose representatives in Congress, while red states gaining population will have their representation increased.

I have ZERO sympathy for blue state residents who keep voting for the same people who got their states in trouble in the first place, 'cause they did it to themselves and they're commiting economic and political suicide if they continue down that path.

I would encourage all my CAS pards who are unfortunate enough to live in blue states to move to a red state, if possible. The future is indeed bleak if you stay where you are.

There is no criminal penalty for violating the law. It's a civil violation like overtime parking. Does not apply to the purchaser or giftee. It does not apply to components. CA had similar law the last time Moonbeam was the gov. It didn't work to reduce firearms crime either.

Could all of our California SASS pards please move either to Arizona or Texas, so we can start praying for that state to slide into the Pacific Ocean? :blush:

BSD

NO! NO!! I don't want to live on no beach!!! :rolleyes:

Lets just git all our pards out THEN build a fence around the place to keep the resta "them" in..... :D:D:P

According to the Cal. Rifle and Pistol Assn. (CRPA.org), there will be a summary court trial on Jan. 18th. This will give both sides (whichever side loses?) time to appeal before Feb. 1st when the law goes into effect. More to come. Go to the CRPA website for info. This is big people. If this law is successfully rammed down our throats, look for it to show up soon in your state. The NRA is involved also. Baddog N.

I don't think you folks understand, this law is going to make the Golden State safer. When the crooks can't go down to the gun store and purchase ammo they will quit being crooks, don't you see? There is currently a bill being considered to eliminate matches and lighters from our state so people won't smoke pot or tobacco, if you can't light them they won't hurt you, right?

Gud point :rolleyes:

:angry:

This is big people. If this law is successfully rammed down our throats, look for it to show up soon in your state. Baddog N.

You know, I really get tired of hearing this as a blanket statement. Yes, there are states where this will happen. But I live in Nevada which borders California so one would assume if this statement is correct, we would be one of the first affected.

We can own: machine guns, "assault rifles", silencers, 50 cal rifles. We can buy whatever handgun is available for sale, we can buy more than one a month, in fact if we want to buy a case of Glocks at once, we can. Outside of Clark County there is no waiting period for anything. In Clark County there is a three-day waiting period for handguns, unless you already own one, then no waiting period. We are a shall issue CCW state. We can buy any amount of ammo from any source we want. Heck, we can even carry openly. We can even have a pocket knife with a blade longer than a nail clipper.

There are other states where this is the norm. In fact, there are more states that have liberal gun laws than those that don't. Just because it happens in California, doesn't mean it will happen anywhere else. It will only happen in states where the libs have taken over the state political regime. Unfortuantely, the good folks of California have ceded their political authority to the liberals of the state, not by their own choosing but by being the minority population.

The only way all these California laws will "soon be in your state" is if the Federal government is allowed to go completely to the liberals. This, I'm sure will happen over time, but I don't think it will happen in my time. Until then, conservative states will continue to have reasonable gun laws.

Bystander

Guest Hashknife Willie, SASS# 59308

I live in California now and have property in New Mexico. I'd love to move there but the economy has made sure I'm going to stay put until the housing market goes up some. When I reach the point where it is economically feasible then I'm out of this land of fruits and liberal nuts!

You know, I really get tired of hearing this as a blanket statement. Yes, there are states where this will happen. But I live in Nevada which borders California so one would assume if this statement is correct, we would be one of the first affected.

We can own: machine guns, "assault rifles", silencers, 50 cal rifles. We can buy whatever handgun is available for sale, we can buy more than one a month, in fact if we want to buy a case of Glocks at once, we can. Outside of Clark County there is no waiting period for anything. In Clark County there is a three-day waiting period for handguns, unless you already own one, then no waiting period. We are a shall issue CCW state. We can buy any amount of ammo from any source we want. Heck, we can even carry openly. We can even have a pocket knife with a blade longer than a nail clipper.

There are other states where this is the norm. In fact, there are more states that have liberal gun laws than those that don't. Just because it happens in California, doesn't mean it will happen anywhere else. It will only happen in states where the libs have taken over the state political regime. Unfortuantely, the good folks of California have ceded their political authority to the liberals of the state, not by their own choosing but by being the minority population.

The only way all these California laws will "soon be in your state" is if the Federal government is allowed to go completely to the liberals. This, I'm sure will happen over time, but I don't think it will happen in my time. Until then, conservative states will continue to have reasonable gun laws.

Bystander

Not quite, IB. This WILL happen in your state if the population centers (in your case Las Vegas, Reno, and Carson City) are overrun with liberal, inner-city, welfare receipient types like what's happened here. Los Angeles and San Francisco determine CA's destiny becasue there are more votes there. The same will happen to you if Las Vegas continues to be overrun with this type of "citizen". I threw Reno and Carson City in as they are your next two largest cities. Don't pooh-pooh that such things won't come your way. It is very possible. After all you all just re-elected Harry Reid.......

Howdy IRT!

Well, somehow I just knew you would reply to my post :-) And maybe you are right, IF the liberals take over Las Vegas and IF they take over the state legislature, POSSIBLY we could see some gun laws change. BUT, in the first place, "our" liberals aren't as liberal as "your" liberals. Secondly, as to Harry Reid, even though I didn't vote for him, he has consistently been given high marks by the NRA. He's been in the senate for something like 16 years or so and has never, I repeat, NEVER, said he'd like stronger, more restrictive gun laws in Nevada. He was the driving force to obtain more than 2400 acres from the BLM to build what will become one of the best gun ranges in the country. No, I don't like him, won't vote for him, but he is a friend of the shooter, make no mistake about that.

We also elected a republican to take a dem out of the House and returned a republican governor to the state.

You and I will have to agree to disagree about whether California is the bell weather of national gun laws. Personally, no offense, but I believe you think too highly of your state's ability to shape national politics when it comes to gun laws. You've had an assault weapons ban for what, 15 years? Enlighten me, what other states have said "because California has banned assault weapons, so will we." You've banned 50 bmg. Same question. And then there is the handgun drop test, the lead ban and now the ammo bans. Sure, Mass, Ill., N.J., NY and Washington D.C. have many of these bans, but not because California banned these items, they were either first or did the bans simultaneously.

Can it happen in any state? Sure. Will it happen in all states? Not unless it becomes federal law. Can that happen? You bet. But again, I don't think it will in my lifetime. Now, I don't expect to live much over 20 more years or so, so let that be the test. In 20 years, if Nevada has all the gun laws that California has, by God, I'll buy you a brand-new wax bullet rifle to use in SASS :rolleyes:

Bystander

They are already callin us Brown Baggers and Box lunchers :rolleyes: And i still believe the others won,you sure haven't seen them celebrating and gloating on tv news have ya.Somethin is up..They would usually be parading up and down Sandy Fanny Frisky,they been way to quiet..

Not quite, IB. This WILL happen in your state if the population centers (in your case Las Vegas, Reno, and Carson City) are overrun with liberal, inner-city, welfare receipient types like what's happened here. Los Angeles and San Francisco determine CA's destiny becasue there are more votes there. The same will happen to you if Las Vegas continues to be overrun with this type of "citizen". I threw Reno and Carson City in as they are your next two largest cities. Don't pooh-pooh that such things won't come your way. It is very possible. After all you all just re-elected Harry Reid.......

That's it exactly! In California, with rare exception, folks in San Francisco and Los Angeles don't go shooting (not counting the drive by's). Their interest in shooting sports or rural gun ownership is nonexistent yet their populations are sufficient enough to override any statewide vote. Therefore any gun related vote goes down in defeat. A very similar thing occurs in New York with New York City overriding the states vote on gun issues. As our state looses its shooting areas to populated liberal voting centers we will continue to loose our grasp on our legal ability to own and to shoot the guns that we love. Smithy.

According to the Cal. Rifle and Pistol Assn. (CRPA.org), there will be a summary court trial on Jan. 18th. This will give both sides (whichever side loses?) time to appeal before Feb. 1st when the law goes into effect. More to come. Go to the CRPA website for info. This is big people. If this law is successfully rammed down our throats, look for it to show up soon in your state. The NRA is involved also. Baddog N.

====================================================

Not flippin' likely, unless one is unfortunate enough to live in another gun-hating blue state. The red states ain't goin' for it.

Howdy IRT!

Well, somehow I just knew you would reply to my post :-) And maybe you are right, IF the liberals take over Las Vegas and IF they take over the state legislature, POSSIBLY we could see some gun laws change. BUT, in the first place, "our" liberals aren't as liberal as "your" liberals. Secondly, as to Harry Reid, even though I didn't vote for him, he has consistently been given high marks by the NRA. He's been in the senate for something like 16 years or so and has never, I repeat, NEVER, said he'd like stronger, more restrictive gun laws in Nevada. He was the driving force to obtain more than 2400 acres from the BLM to build what will become one of the best gun ranges in the country. No, I don't like him, won't vote for him, but he is a friend of the shooter, make no mistake about that.

We also elected a republican to take a dem out of the House and returned a republican governor to the state.

You and I will have to agree to disagree about whether California is the bell weather of national gun laws. Personally, no offense, but I believe you think too highly of your state's ability to shape national politics when it comes to gun laws. You've had an assault weapons ban for what, 15 years? Enlighten me, what other states have said "because California has banned assault weapons, so will we." You've banned 50 bmg. Same question. And then there is the handgun drop test, the lead ban and now the ammo bans. Sure, Mass, Ill., N.J., NY and Washington D.C. have many of these bans, but not because California banned these items, they were either first or did the bans simultaneously.

Can it happen in any state? Sure. Will it happen in all states? Not unless it becomes federal law. Can that happen? You bet. But again, I don't think it will in my lifetime. Now, I don't expect to live much over 20 more years or so, so let that be the test. In 20 years, if Nevada has all the gun laws that California has, by God, I'll buy you a brand-new wax bullet rifle to use in SASS :rolleyes:

Bystander

IB,

You may be too complacent in your thinking - no insult intended - just a warning for us all. Complacency (recognized, or not) can ultimately lead all of us to the loss of our original (2nd amendment) gun rights, not to mention capitalism and other individual rights. We must be ever vigilant on this!!!!!

You are arguing only states laws here, and while you may be proven correct, the historical gun law creep led by CA and other liberal dominated states argues quite differently as the urban populations continue to grow in metropolitan areas (they vote overwhelmingly left).

Without Las Vegas (and to a lesser extent - Reno/Sparks/Carson City) Harry Reid would not have kept his seat. On the state level, just over 20 years ago, CA voters defeated a very restrictive gun ban (prop 16 if I remember correctly). I seriously doubt it would fail again, given the the results of our most recent elections. Yes, I am currently a subject of the Peoples Republic of California - I have intended to retire here for decades, but am now looking to move to a state that respects, honors, and follows our nation's constitution. Nevada is not immune from this creeping, urban ignorant trend unless WE all organize and speak against it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, we are (and have been) very lucky on the federal level to have a congressional and court position that is much more correct and expansive regarding the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. Even then, this interpretation has continuously eroded since the founders wrote the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and faster since the end of the draft and the advent of the majority of both houses NEVER having served in in our armed forces.

We are only u]ONE VOTE[/u] AWAY on the Supreme Court from losing the original interpretation of the Second Amendment!!!!

Constant Vigilance is required, and our responsibility as citizens.

Harvey

:blush:

So what happens? We all move out of California. California is then overrun by you know who, and so goes the nation.

Something is going to happen. The pot is going from melting to boiling over. Even the most mellow of us are becoming extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY upset (to put it politely).

A day is coming.

Harvey Mushman

Read my posts again (both of them). In them I very definitely say that the feds may overrun all states rights. In fact, I do believe it will happen that way. But not in my lifetime (as I stated 20 years or so). So I kind of agree with you. I'm not complacent in my thinking, just don't think it will happen in the next two decades or so. And I do vote my mind on the federal, state and local level. As for sending e-mails and letters to out-of-state legislators as many suggest, I think it's really a waste of time. If I was a legislator in California and I got an e-mail from someone in Nevada telling me that my law was against the Second Amendment and ill-thought out, I would just hit the trash button. What the heck would I care what someone in Nevada has to say about California laws. The only place my vote (and opinion) counts outside of Nevada is in federal elections.

L.T. Trish:

And to all who say, if it happens in California, then so goes the nation...Well like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree. I have yet to see any of the recently (last two decades) enacted restrictive gun laws that California has passed spread outside that state to any extent.

By the way, I'm not in the least saying that you Californians shouldn't fight this tooth and nail. If I lived in California, I would be on the front lines trying to stop this insanity. All I am arguing is that I'm tired of seeing the people in California giving the blanket warning to everyone else who doesn't live in the state, "You need to watch this carefully and write your e-mails and letters because if this law is passed, your state is next." That said, if I lived in California, I would be looking to move out, unfortunately I truly believe that the war is lost in that state. And that saddens me because I think California is one of the most beautiful places in the world I have ever been to.

And in the interests of this post not getting pulled on account of it being too political, that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

Bystander

Great discussion guys! I'm saying to look for this type of legislation to appear. I'm NOT saying it will become law where you are. BE VIGILANT! I was born and raised in California and I dearly love it. That said, as soon as I retire, I'm out of here! Arizona and Nevada(and others), please stay strong. I'm a headin' your way soon. Respectfully, Baddog N.

One point that needs to be made here, with all the people from those states many of us view as "liberal" states moving to the "conservative" states, the infection comes with them. For an example, in Texas, the influx of high tek and computer related jobs and manufacturing to the Austin area has brought a huge influx of people from some of those liberal states; California, Mass., Ill, and a couple other states. Austin has gone from being a normal Texas city to being a little Semicon valley.

Votes in the city and county are ultra liberal. The city council are ultra liberal. The hype here is "going green" Heck the only thing that keeps CA from being a swear word here is Phatom, proves there is good influence from CA. Attempts have been made in the last few years by certain groups to ban guns, reloading, gun ranges in the Austin area, though none have really gotten any serious weight to move in legislative form, yet. The Austin police chief came here from LA and tries to run the PD like LA - CHP (heck even changed our patrol cars from the blue and whites to LA looking paint jobs and the uniforms are LA PD style now too).

My point being, that with the migration of people from those liberal states to the conservative ones, votes get diluted, money and power shifts, strange notions come with the pilgrims folks, keep a watchful eye on your local and state politics.

Folks along the east coast know how fireworks are either openly sold,, or a verboten menace as you cross from state to state. The result, since he 60s, has been huge fireworks stores near state lines where shopping cart loads get loaded into out of state car trunks routinely.....

I see Western NV and Southern OR as the biggest ammo selling points in the country if this stands. There are not enough CHiPs in the bag to handle this......

Archived