SASS Wire Forum

Case for Flying

Doc Cole 52765L

Has anyone tried this case from the NRA? I may start flying with my match guns, and this looked like it might set up for a set. Please let me know if you have any experience with it.

Thanks,

Doc

:blush:

NRA Tactical Case

First off, I wouldn't want to let a case that has a prominent logo which screams "Guns Inside!" like that one does get out of my sight.

Second, be careful about a case that can hold all four guns.

Some airlines restrict the number of guns in a locked case.

And it may end up overweight & you'll pay dearly for the privilege to check it.

First off, I wouldn't want to let a case that has a prominent logo which screams "Guns Inside!" like that one does get out of my sight.

Second, be careful about a case that can hold all four guns.

Some airlines restrict the number of guns in a locked case.

And it may end up overweight & you'll pay dearly for the privilege to check it.

+1 I don't know why the NRA thinks they have to plaster their logo on everything they sell. The locks on that case are easily picked too. Would rather have 4 padlocks.

When I used to fly with my Skeet gun I used a case similar to the SKB. It worked very well. What I did do was go to a Music store and get some stickers from several mfg and slap em on my case...........sorta like Camo Bandit

I would NOT trust that case to last long with the airlines.

Take a look at Americase out of Tx. NONE better.

Pelican in Torrance, Ca. make great cases also and is a mil. supplier.

I have the non-NRA version of the case the OP speaks of and it's a good case, BUT it will NOT hold up to airline use. I say this as I was "Ramp-Rat" for WAL(LAX)back in high school and have seen first hand the "beating" luggage takes.

Respectfully,

LG

Has anyone tried this case from the NRA? I may start flying with my match guns, and this looked like it might set up for a set. Please let me know if you have any experience with it.

Thanks,

Doc

:rolleyes:

NRA Tactical Case

It'll be heavy with 4 guns. I wouldn't recommend anything you have to carry... and fitting long luggage pieces on airport carts is sometimes a bit of a juggling act.

Check out Cabela's metal cases (believe made by Kalispel), and you can get an over-cover with wheels, including one that'll also hold additional stuff. Weight limit per luggage piece is the biggest issue.

Browning, SKB, and Pelican all make (probably somewhat lighter) versions with built-in wheels. (Browning's may be made by SKB?) You could compare the base weight of each luggage piece before deciding... Light weight is not always a virtue when it comes to durability, though.

-Chris

http://www.skbcases.com/

They CAN be had with built in wheels. SKB has been making cases for musical instruments for decades.... professional on the road cases. I would NOT place any stickers on any cases that would give an indication of holding something of great value.

Doc Coles;

I use two different cases when traveling to shoots in the lower 48, depends on if its just me shooting or if the wife is shooting as well.

If it is just me I have a Pelican 1720. In it I carry my ' 73, ' 97 and 2 Single sixes, along with 200 rounds of .32 and 200 rounds of . 38.

Weighs right at 50 lbs.

If the wife is shooting as well I use an SKB case. It has 2 layers. Bottom layer gets my '73, ' 97 and the single sixes. Top layer get her

'73 and double coach gun. Again weighs right at 50 lbs. Put her pistols in a locked case in regular suitcase.

To date have had no problems with airlines or TSA. As mentioned check airline requirement for number of guns per case and amount

of ammo you you can carry. Once past the airlines TSA don't seem to care about amounts.

These have been my experiences. Your mileage may very.

Marshal Stone

Thanks to all for the advice. I've had some concerns about the NRA markings making the case a target. Though the shape would seem to be a fair giveaway regardless. I have an aluminum case now, that is strong and holds the right amount of guns. I need to check the weight.

I'm not planning on traveling with them often, but I am moving to Texas for a few months for a new job. If that works out, I'm considering taking the plunge in traveling with them more often. The best thing about this trip is that it is non-stop on American from Cedar Rapids to DFW.

Doc

I used the Pelican two rifle case when I flew to New Mexico.

I used TSA approved locks that allows the TSA to open them after they are checked.

Do call the airline before flying or look on the internet website to make sure of their restrictions.

Also, getting one with wheels is a plus.

Good Luck

KK

PS: Got mine at Pro Bass for about 109.00

Karl, if I remember correctly, the TSA does NOT want locks that they can open on firearms.

I have always used keyed locks.

Straight from the TSA Site:

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you.

FYI, to ALL that fly with their "toys". :angry:

Print out the regs for EACH airline(airlines DO differ)you are flying on and have them with you at the check-in counter :lol:

There are ALLOT of airline folks that have NO CLUE of the gun regs. for THEIR airline, :blink: BTDT :rolleyes:

Also carry a list of the serial numbers etc. with you to have "just-in-case". ;)

Lastly, stencil in at least 1"-2" letters you last name on BOTH sides of your gun case because baggage theives are not as likely to steal a bag that is "named".

Respectfully,

LG

Thanks to all for the advice. I've had some concerns about the NRA markings making the case a target. Though the shape would seem to be a fair giveaway regardless. I have an aluminum case now, that is strong and holds the right amount of guns. I need to check the weight.

I'm not planning on traveling with them often, but I am moving to Texas for a few months for a new job. If that works out, I'm considering taking the plunge in traveling with them more often. The best thing about this trip is that it is non-stop on American from Cedar Rapids to DFW.

Doc

Non-stop is always better when checking valuables.

-Chris

Karl, if I remember correctly, the TSA does NOT want locks that they can open on firearms.

I have always used keyed locks.

Straight from the TSA Site:

You can't use your own locks and several don't want you to have just the combination type, there are black locks with the Red TSA insignia on them and they are numbered and keyed for the TSA. I put them on mine to and from New Mex in October. That is another reason to check the individual airline before you go.

KK

PS Thanks for the help with the website. I ended up using a separate host.

Archived