SASS Wire Forum

Wire editor first pass won't show cursor or place text

Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Here's a strange problem I've been seeing on the wire. The first time I reply to a thread in the Wire, the editor that comes up refuses to display the cursor, and places the cursor at the front of any quoted text. I can't see the cursor, move the edit point to below the quoted text, and several other functions. It has also been balky at letting me type text into a new topic.

Since no one else has complained in public, I take this as a rather limited problem. But, it is one I have had for a month now, on several different computers, and this problem on each started at the same time.

If I re-edit my original reply item, either the quick or full editor works fine. So, I've been having to make a short reply, save the reply, then edit it again to gain control of the cursor. Nothing else on the computers is more funky than normal. All Windoze systems, from XP to Vista to Seven.

Any clues?

Thanks, GJ

PS - Editing on the Wild Bunch Forum works fine for me. Closing and reopening browser does not clear problem. Restarting Windoze OS does not clear problem. I run Windoze for a living, so, yep, I tried the obvious ways to get around memory leaking programs.

GJ

Well, here's a test of fast reply. In Mozilla Firefox. ..... Yep, fast reply seems to work without a glitch.

This may narrow down to be an incompatibility between the Wire Software, and maybe the newest version of Mozilla Firefox browser (Firefox upgrade to 3.6.13 happened within the last month, as I remember). I'll google some on that and see if there are hits.

Thanks, GJ

Yep, googling for the interaction between Invision's editor (which is what we use here on the SASS wire) and Firefox browser shows a bug someplace between the two - not yet narrowed to one culprit or the other.

Here's the single post I could find on this (FF is Firefox browser):

FF 3.6 breaks Invision power board editor?

This bug seems to have been around since February 2010 and not yet fixed (or perhaps the Invision software used here needs to be updated?)

Anyway, time will probably pass sufficiently fast that this problem eventually will get fixed.

Thanks all! GJ

Well, further digging has shown that the bug IS indeed in a chunk of the Invision software that powers the board. Seems like version 2.3.5 that the Wire runs is badly out of lifecycle (in other words, should not be used any more). In fact, 2.3.6 is out of supported lifecycle, too.

I'll message the moderators about this condition and let them know that there are both patches for the older version of IPBoard and newer versions of IPBoard available.

Thanks again, all. GJ

Had the same problem:

I fixed it by going to My Controls, then Board Settings, Type Of Text Editor, then changing the option to Standard Editor.

Your posts won't be WYSIWYG, but you should be able to see you cursor.

Luck.

Had the same problem:

I fixed it by going to My Controls, then Board Settings, Type Of Text Editor, then changing the option to Standard Editor.

Your posts won't be WYSIWYG, but you should be able to see you cursor.

Luck.

Yes, that fixup works for me as well. Thanks, UM!

GJ

Archived