SASS Wire Forum

Bought me a

Captain Gus's "Walker" would surely raise a knot on a snotty barkeep's noggin.

Some how .... I can see ya doin just that!!!! <_<

O Course, ONLY AS a Last resort, ta teachin better manners!!!!!

Merry Christmas to you and your Family and to findin your new MR Manners Walker!

Kansas City Sneed

Oklahoma Dee

The Houston Gun Collectors Association gun show is in January, 2011. If you have not burned that pittance away on a Noggin buster, come to Houston and see the options you will have there!

See ya

Oklahoma Dee

Go with a Dragoon. I've owned both, and found the Dragoon to be overall more handy, more durable, and more historically plausible. With only 1100 made, the big Walker was an extreme scarcity, even back in the day. But Colt made THOUSANDS of the Dragoons. Yep, I'd go with the Dragoon. But YMMV.

Mingo and Springfield, I sent ya both PM replies.

Can anyone tell me if purchasing/shipping a cap & ball pistol, such as the Dragoon, requires the involvement of an FFL or C&R type person?

After seein BOTH True Grits, that Horse Pistol Maddie Ross carries looks like something I might wanna own (the "Colt's Dragoon").

or Captain Gus's "Walker" would surely raise a knot on a snotty barkeep's noggin.

Anybody got an old C&R Horse Pistol for sale (Lookin for a "SHOOTER", not a "Display Piece")

I'll probly mosey over to gunbroker.com and some other similar sites, but thought I'd put my first WTB here.

I got a LITTLE (and I mean a LITTLE) Christmas money, and have not purchased a new (to me) gun in several months of Sundays and reckon it's about time to add a really big hunk of iron to the collection!

So, if'n you have one you are tired of, or just wanna ditch, lemme know.

You can respond to this thread; PM me; or Email me at shire-reeve.oso (at ) sbcglobal.net (SBC would not not let me use the use Sheriff, so I had to go with the old English version, Shire Reeve ).

I'd be much obliged.

SOso

p.s. - if it comes from someone at one of my "home clubs", i'll shoot a complete match with it!

I don't have either one in stock right now but if you have a choice I recommend the Dragoon. They are just a little lighter and have a latch to hold up the loading rod. The Walker does not and the lever will fall and lock up the cylinder. I got a Uberti Dragoon in from Cimarron awhile back and its an awesome pc of ordinance.

Now that you have a Dragoon, may I suggest an R&D .45LC conversion cylinder for it? I just bought one. I took it out of the box, and with no difficulty or issues of any kind, it fit and worked in both my Uberti 2nd model Dragoon AND my Colt Signature Model 3rd model Dragoon. I am extremely happy with it, and urge you to get one, too. I felt like Gus McCrae shootin' that Dragoon (in the book Gus had a Dragoon, not a Walker). I think you are gonna have a lot of fun with that big, old hogleg!!! Happy Shootin'!!!

From Wiki:

The word Dragoon originally meant mounted infantry, who were trained in horse riding as well as infantry fighting skills. However, usage altered over time and during the 18th century, dragoons evolved into conventional light cavalry units and personnel. Dragoon regiments were established in most European armies during the late 17th century and early 18th century.

The name is possibly derived from a type of firearm (called a dragon) carried by dragoons of the French Army. There is no distinction between the words dragon and dragoon in French.

The title has been retained in modern times by a number of armoured or ceremonial mounted regiments.

From Wiki:

The word Dragoon originally meant mounted infantry, who were trained in horse riding as well as infantry fighting skills. However, usage altered over time and during the 18th century, dragoons evolved into conventional light cavalry units and personnel. Dragoon regiments were established in most European armies during the late 17th century and early 18th century.

The name is possibly derived from a type of firearm (called a dragon) carried by dragoons of the French Army. There is no distinction between the words dragon and dragoon in French.

The title has been retained in modern times by a number of armoured or ceremonial mounted regiments.

Some of the Dragoon revolvers had "U.S. DRAGOONS" roll engraved on the cylinder, some had "U.S.M.R.", which stood for the U.S. Mounted Rifles. The Regiment of Mounted Rifles were a return to the concept of mounted infantry, who would be very mobile on horseback, but would dismount and fight on foot as infantry. They were issued the .44 caliber Dragoon revolver and the .54 caliber "Mississippi" rifle. With the reorganization of the Army just prior to the Civil War they became the 3rd Cavalry, IIRC.

Hey Oso,

Bring that Dragoon to the Ormbsy Ranch next time we meet.

:D

you better bet I will, Doubletap! It'll come with some balls (like I need more balls!), a powder flask, holster & other accessories.

Only thing lacking is POWDER & CAPS!

But I think I might be able to rustle up some b4 Sat 1.8.11. I dont have any fff on hand right now, but I DO have some "Goex Cartridge".

I plan to see if Rawhide Red can "hook me up" with some Goex fff and some caps by then.

So you be there, I'll be there, & we can all have a grand old time!

Oso (who now has his own noggin thumpin horse pistol!) :unsure:

:D

you better bet I will, Doubletap! It'll come with some balls (like I need more balls!), a powder flask, holster & other accessories.

Only thing lacking is POWDER & CAPS!

But I think I might be able to rustle up some b4 Sat 1.8.11. I dont have any fff on hand right now, but I DO have some "Goex Cartridge".

I plan to see if Rawhide Red can "hook me up" with some Goex fff and some caps by then.

So you be there, I'll be there, & we can all have a grand old time!

Oso (who now has his own noggin thumpin horse pistol!) :unsure:

Oso

I've got a slew of #11 caps.

Al

Archived