SASS Wire Forum

The Duke changes long guns

Buffalo Creek Law Dog

My Son and I were watching the Searchers in Blu-ray and noticed the scene where the Indians chase them across the river and they set up a defensive position behind some large driftwood. When the Duke is firing his rifle I noticed that it was a '92 short rifle with the metal end cap on the fore stock and no barrel band. In the following scene where the Indians have left and they decide to take the wounded Nesby back, the Duke is squatting down and reloading his rifle however it is now a '92 carbine with a barrel band and no metal end cap.

I have watched this movie many times and never noticed this before on regular DVD format. Blu-ray is so crystal clear that this long gun switch jumped right out.

I also noticed that unlike CAS shooters he lowers the rifle each time he levers it, not that that is a big thing but only a CAS shooter would take note of that.

Looking forward to watching the new True Grit.

This was one of several movies that John Wayne should have won an Oscar for. Stagecoach and Angel and the Badman are two others that rank, in my mind WAAAAY ahead of True Grit. I think that The Cowboys is another and that Bruce Dern should have received a Best Supporting Actor for his role in that movie. Dern became one of the most hated personalities in the movie world for that character. A great piece of acting if ever there was one!

This was one of several movies that John Wayne should have won an Oscar for. Stagecoach and Angel and the Badman are two others that rank, in my mind WAAAAY ahead of True Grit. I think that The Cowboys is another and that Bruce Dern should have received a Best Supporting Actor for his role in that movie. Dern became one of the most hated personalities in the movie world for that character. A great piece of acting if ever there was one!

Bruce Dern became one of the most hated personalities in the movie world for that character...His comment was, they love me at Berkeley...Did a great job...

Texas Lizard

Many people feel that Wayne was slighted on numerous ocasions by the Academy and it's members when it came to either nominations or the actual vote. That too is my feeling. The Searchers was probably John Wayne's finest acting performance. Like many movies the role was different than what was written in the book on which it was based. Except for the fact that it isn't grapfic enough for today's market, The Searchers would play well in today's market. Come to think of it it might work anyway.

It has been said that the Oscar for True Grit was a concession to Wayne's longevity as the most popular actor in the industry. A part of me tends to agree with this. The movie would have been a miserable failure without the Dukes presence if you ask me. The Rooster Cogburn sequel was more enjoyable to me and neither was dramaticaly as satisfying as many of John Wayne's other, (better) movies.

John Wayne is STILL my favorite major dramatic actor! He could hold his own in any movie with any actor or actress with the possible exception of Maureen O'Hara. He helped and supported many other cast members in their careers. He was a patriot. He, like Robert Mitchum, didn't take himself too seriously. He thought America should never lower her standards for any reason. He had a moral compass. <_<

Agree about his performance in the Searchers, and the Oscar for True Grit. He did a good job in it, but it was a late-life gift. These days they would give him a lifetime achievement award and call it good.

Back to The Searchers. When he tossed the Colt to Ward Bond, was that shot into the ground an AD, or do you think it was in the script, given the fact the Duke had told him to be careful because it was loaded? I think it was an AD and they just kept the cameras rolling. It looks like John Wayne almost laughs when it happens.

Newt, I've wondered that myself!

Bond was a great actor but the look on his face was a VISA moment! "PRICELESS!!" <_<

Archived