SASS Wire Forum

Antelope Hunt

Blaze Dawson

I am booked on a wilderness elk hunting trip next fall with Hidden Creek Outfitters, Powell, Wy. (which is near Cody). They also do deer and antelope hunts in Wyoming. The outfitter is Bill Perry. If you contact him, tell him Roger Lawrence from Dolores, Colorado sent you. www. hiddencreekoutfitters.com Check out their website.

BD do you really need an outfitter. Contact Wyoming Game and Fish or Fish and Game, whatever it is, and they will send you the proper applications. In the application package, it will give you many areas to choose from and fill it out as you see fit. I believe they must be returned by April 15th or around that time of year. They pick all the permits in June/July, when you recieve your info you can start planning travel arrangements, etc. I reckon if you must spend the money just search for Wyomiing Outfitters on the net. Antelope are not the toughest critters to hunt. I can talk to a few of my friends that are in the outfitting business and get some info. Just remember Wyoming is big country and one can get lost and never found, many areas are many miles from any form of civilization, cell phones don't work in much of the state. My antelope hunt lasted about 2 minutes this year. I actually had to leave the porch.

Good Luck!

LL'

Unless things have changed in Montana,you contact the Fish wildlife and Parks dept and they will tell you how to apply for a non-resident license.You only need to do that for a Buck.If you just want meat,they usuallly have over the counter non-resident doe tags in most areas.There's a whole lot of BLM land that anyone can hunt on and 99% of that is loaded with speed goats.Last time I bought a non-resident tag(doe) was back in 2000.At that time it was the tag,plus a conservation license and if memory serves me it came to a total of $60 or $70.

BD do you really need an outfitter. Contact Wyoming Game and Fish or Fish and Game, whatever it is, and they will send you the proper applications. In the application package, it will give you many areas to choose from and fill it out as you see fit. I believe they must be returned by April 15th or around that time of year. They pick all the permits in June/July, when you recieve your info you can start planning travel arrangements, etc. I reckon if you must spend the money just search for Wyomiing Outfitters on the net. Antelope are not the toughest critters to hunt. I can talk to a few of my friends that are in the outfitting business and get some info. Just remember Wyoming is big country and one can get lost and never found, many areas are many miles from any form of civilization, cell phones don't work in much of the state. My antelope hunt lasted about 2 minutes this year. I actually had to leave the porch.

Good Luck!

LL'

I agree, not hard to hunt proghorn. With elk, the REAL work starts the minute you put one down. With pronghorn, you just field dress, drive over to the carcass and pick him up, done deal. BTW, a good 10x+ binocular on a tripod is a decent way to locate likely critters for a stalk.

-Chris

I've been hunting Wyoming for antelope, deer & elk since 1980. It was a learning experience at first. As stated, lots of public land available. The Wyoming Game & Fish Dept is a good resource, check their website. They have stats on every hunting unit...drawing odds, harvest stats, etc. Their hunting booklet also has a good indicator that you should be aware of, they indicate unit where there is difficult public access due to private land issues. If you are successful in the draw and get a tag, do some summer scouting if possible. Wyoming started selling preference points 5 years ago and the best areas are getting harder to draw without any points (even for antelope). Buy some points this year for next year. I have 5 for all big game tags now. Good luck. :lol:

I am booked on a wilderness elk hunting trip next fall with Hidden Creek Outfitters, Powell, Wy. (which is near Cody). They also do deer and antelope hunts in Wyoming. The outfitter is Bill Perry. If you contact him, tell him Roger Lawrence from Dolores, Colorado sent you. www. hiddencreekoutfitters.com Check out their website.

Great...thank you!!!!

Thank you!!! I will check them out.

I've been hunting Wyoming for antelope, deer & elk since 1980. It was a learning experience at first. As stated, lots of public land available. The Wyoming Game & Fish Dept is a good resource, check their website. They have stats on every hunting unit...drawing odds, harvest stats, etc. Their hunting booklet also has a good indicator that you should be aware of, they indicate unit where there is difficult public access due to private land issues. If you are successful in the draw and get a tag, do some summer scouting if possible. Wyoming started selling preference points 5 years ago and the best areas are getting harder to draw without any points (even for antelope). Buy some points this year for next year. I have 5 for all big game tags now. Good luck. :lol:

Great..thank you for the info.

Believe me boys - Ol Blaze needs a guide!!! Why he can't get around town without his GPS!!!!!! :blush:

You got that right....funny, when they were suggesting I go out on my own and hunt that is exactly what I thought. I get lost on my own property some times...ha.

Never been much of a hunter personally, but have on occasion licensed up, geared up and gone out on my own or with a partner to go hunting usually unsuccessfully. Then a more experienced friend would offer to take me out hunting with them and I would learn the ropes the correct way and be on my way to being a more successful hunter. This has happened for rabbit (my most shot game animal), dove, quail, turkey, and antelope. Most of the hunting seemed normal for me except for the dove where I was told to sit at a fence post, the guy's dogs were let loose and the next thing I knew it was like a shooting gallery blasting away shell after shell at the incoming doves. I have never seen so many doves in my life. My other odd hunting experience was antelope. I got my tags for doe in Wyoming and gear together and off we went for a two day drive. Along the way I read up on the regulations to be up to speed and one peculiar thing that I noticed was the regs said a legal shot you had to have one foot out of your car and touching the ground. I didn't think too much about it until we started hunting by driving the back woods and spotted a legal antelope for me to shoot. The driver said "There she is. Take your shot." I opened the door of the van, put a foot on the ground and using the door as a rifle rest, took aim and dropped my antelope. Easy as pie. We then switched places and I drove as my partner hunted and that's how it went. I felt guilty until I found out all the other folk that I ran into did the very same thing, thus the line in the regulations. So with that in mind I would say, BLM land and go for it. It was the easiest hunting I have ever done in my life. Smithy.

Where my property is in Montana (Smith River Valley) area, the Antelope are all over the place you cannot drive through the valley or for that matter through the ranch where my property is without seeing at least a few dozen. There is a bunch that tend to graze right across the street from my property, they like to drink out of Battle Creek. This past year the Antelope and Mule Deer were pretty thick on the ranch.

Doc

Archived