SASS Wire Forum

Lookin' for an 8-gauge SxS Mule-ear coach gun

Anybody have an 8-auge "muley" for sale? My shoulder's almost healed from my Remington-Whitworth 10-gauge, so I thought I'd step up from that "sissy" TEN gauge shotgun to a "MAN'S Shotgun"!!! I'll just be shootin' black powder loads so Damascus OR fluid-steel barrels are OK if it's

in generally good shape to shoot. Thanks for lookin' Sweetwater Jack

Anybody have an 8-auge "muley" for sale? My shoulder's almost healed from my Remington-Whitworth 10-gauge, so I thought I'd step up from that "sissy" TEN gauge shotgun to a "MAN'S Shotgun"!!! I'll just be shootin' black powder loads so Damascus OR fluid-steel barrels are OK if it's

in generally good shape to shoot. Thanks for lookin' Sweetwater Jack

That shud do it :lol:

WOW! They ARE a "bit pricey", aren't they? If I had that kinda' money I might as well go with the "Yacht Cannon"..... course, then I'd probably have to buy a bigger boat than my 8' punt....... :lol: SWJ

I believe the main reason anything larger than 10 ga is harder to find and a lot more expensive is because they were banned for hunting by US Fish & Wildlife. The market hunters used the large guages (often called Punt guns) to decimate waterfowl in the late 1800's. Most ended up in museums and private collections. Ammo is almost impossible to find, even though brass empties are available, but really expensive too.

I shoot a 10 ga SxS for SASS bp shoots and also have a Browning BPS that I use for Geese and Turkey. It's as big as I want to shoot. :lol:

Horace, I believe these are rifles NOT shot guns. If memory serves a 4 bore is approximately a 1 inch slug. My double rifle is a small bore, 9,3 x 74R. Real close to .375 H&H size.

Here's a 8 and a 4

http://www.hallowellco.com/antique_guns.htm

Horace

I may be able to help with your gun after the 8 gauge. A friend has what i recall was a 6 gauge double and a 4 gauge single. I don't know what to call his real big ones but they won't fit in an 8' boat.

He'd have to have "ones" that wouldn't fit in an 8' boat to shoot those things.

Well, gentlemen.... considering everything you've told me..... I think I'll TERMINATE my quest........ and if I feel like being more "studly" I'll just continue to pull both triggers at once on my 10-gauge as I HAVE been doing....(occasionally)! SWJ

SWJ,

I think you have made a wise decision. In the event that you touched off BOTH barrels of an 8 ga shotgun at the same time, either accidently or on purpose, the resulting recoil might permanently rattle your BB's and render you unable to enjoy any future CAS exploits.

Stick with the 10 ga and don't put both fingers on the triggers at the same time.

Kid (who has a couple of 10ga coach guns) Kneestone

Calvin, you're absolutely rght! However, there is no restriction in "Old West Re-enacting" which this would have been used for. I'm a founder of "The State of Jefferson Vigilance Committee", whose job it is to regularly shoot up trains, banks and entire small towns in the Great North West. We've been doing this for five years now, and it's a great chance to REALLY let out your "inner 10-year-old". Read my article in the Chronicle on page 77 of the current (December 2010) issue. And if you happen to be in the area, come on out and join up with us. We're always lookin' for gunslicks, bankers, undertakers and trail hands. Soiled Doves, too.. but I don't know how you'd look in a dress....... :blush:

Take a look at: www.sjvcreenactors.com

Sweetwater Jack

Rats! Busted! Guess I'll just have to settle fer my tiny little TEN gauge...... Mebbe if I stoke her up a mite....less florist foam and more FFFg....,

'Course the EPA's lookin' a bit askance at me as it is.........

Here's a 8 and a 4

http://www.hallowellco.com/antique_guns.htm

Horace

YIKES!!! :P This emoticon should have its hair standing on end. :blush:

He'll use it at the reinactments ta git rid of the "street fodder", ya know--- Pergy, Jedi, T J and the like!!! So much smoke, can't shoot back.

Parson

You need to buy some brass 10ga hulls and load them to their full potential. They are a WORLD of difference from modern trimmed down paper or plastic hulls. They will flat knock you loose from your fillings with a full load of BP and buckshot!

Mossyrock;

Got some, and DID just that... Shot it at our Halloween Night Shoot and Pumpkin Blast..... (Chronicle article's been submitted) It do disassemble a pumpkin right well (if you can hit it in the dark).... :rolleyes:

Uncle Sugar let me use one of his for a few years when I stayed with him...a blast to shoot...was a little peeved when he wouldn't let me take it home with me :angry::rolleyes:

The 8-gage used in recent novel series and a movie would have never been the first choice of a gunman in the real west, especially with 30" barrels. Read 'The Earps Speak', or anything by Masterson or about Jeff Milton. The used 12-gages in town; 10-gages were preferred outside of town. Earp and Masterson both speak of 12-gage shotguns with 21 buckshot per load and killing coyotes at 100 yards! The 8-gage would have rendered the shooter useless for follow-ups. Milton stopped four train robbers with an '87 in 12-gage after they injured his left arm in 1889.

My recommendation to this western writer would have been a Colt-Root four-shot 12-gage with a shorty barrel. That would have ruled a saloon, been really neat in the movie, and been historically correct. With that all said, I would not pass up the chance to watch someone else fire this shoulder-artillery.

I recently purchased 21 10g brass hulls, two of which were still loaded. Upon breaking them down, I found the overshot "wads" to be nothing more than crumpled newspaper. I managed to spread out a couple of small pieces that didn't completely disintegrate and dated the paper to December 1897. Underneath the paper were four layers of four .36 caliber cast round balls - sixteen in all - with a combined weight of nearly three ounces. :wacko:

Archived