SASS Wire Forum

Out on a limb with True Grit

Most everyone seems to be comparing it to the book or movie in some way.

WHAT IF you never read the book or saw the movie before?

Would it hold up on its own merit?

Haven't seen it yet but plan to... without any associations.

I saw Appaloosa when it came out and thoroughly enjoyed it, although it felt like I saw it before, somehow.

Then a few weeks later I saw the book in my bookshelf and I realized I read the book about 8 months before.

Could be early dementia. :wub:

I like almost all of their movies...loved "oh brother..."

But I can't spel to save my lif. :wub:

Years ago I gave a dry run of a presentation to my CO (a two star), that I was scheduled to give to the Chief of the Navy Supply Corps first thing the next morning.

My boss said, "Great pitch Mike, but I hope that before you give it you learn it's 'I' before 'E', except after 'C'."

The word "receive" was in that pitch about a hundred times. So I was in the office until 10 PM fixing it and re-printing everything. But, thanks to that evening "Receive" is the only word I'm sure I can spell correctly.

My IQ is 142, but I have a big barren area where the spelling part of my brain should be...hence I'm a writer, not an editor. :wub:

Without a doubt, the Coen boys changed some big things in the movie, but, at least to me, it was an excellent movie and here's why:

It was a period movie and kept to the period.

It was beautifully spare, but not simple.

The characters were completely believable.

I have to admit that the addition of Dr. Bearskin was a little jarring to me, but I guess that you can't have everything.

Essentially, the reasons that I enjoyed the movie are the same reasons that I enjoyed the book many years ago.

Incidentally, the 2010 version didn't come across to me as a remake of the 1969 version. I didn't see Jeff Bridges redoing The Duke's Rooster Cogburn. Each movie stands on its own as its own interpretation of the book. I like them both equally for different reasons.

As a movie watcher it is not important to me whether or not a film follows the book. This is especially true when I haven’t even read the book which is usually the case. However, when a movie such as the 2010 True Grit comes out, it is almost impossible NOT to compare it to the original 1969 version. This is doubly difficult when much of the dialogue is almost word for word as was the case in this most recent movie.

Did I enjoy the new version? Unquestionably yes. Would I recommend the movie to folks who haven’t seen it yet? Absolutely! Will I buy the DVD when it is available? This SOB will fill his hands. But, is it as good as the prior version? In my opinion no it is not.

I didn’t think any of the actors carried their roles as well as the original actors. The young girl, Hailee Steinfeld is a very talented actress and I predict will have a great future. I think she did the best job of all the actors in the movie. But did she own the role like Kim Darby did? I didn't think so, but your mileage may vary.

Much like Alison Arngrim (who played Nellie Oleson on Little House on the Prairie) who to this day is reviled by some, Kim Darby left an indelible impression as Mattie Ross. Forty years later I still want to slap the snot out of Darby’s Mattie Ross. Ms. Steinfeld played the character as a confidant and perhaps even somewhat cocky young lady. But I don’t think in 2051 I will still think of her in this role.

Much like Alison Arngrim (who played Nellie Oleson on Little House on the Prairie) who to this day is reviled by some, Kim Darby left an indelible impression as Mattie Ross. Forty years later I still want to slap the snot out of Darby’s Mattie Ross. Ms. Steinfeld played the character as a confidant and perhaps even somewhat cocky young lady. But I don’t think in 2051 I will still think of her in this role.

It's a matter of taste, of course, of all of us, but Kim Darby to me was a 21-year-old tomboy, and I never liked her in the role. I hope (and expect) that Hailee will have much more of a movie career than Kim Darby.

It's a matter of taste, of course, of all of us, but Kim Darby to me was a 21-year-old tomboy, and I never liked her in the role. I hope (and expect) that Hailee will have much more of a movie career than Kim Darby.

I agree with you about Hailee. I think she will go far. Please don't misunderstand me as I am NOT a Kim Darby fan per se. In fact, without checking with IMDb I can't think of a single other role I've ever seen her in. But her job as an ACTor was to portray a character who was obnoxious, cocky, arrogant, and generally a royal pain in the arse. I think she fulfilled the role admirably. To this day I can't stand her Mattie Ross or even Kim Darby.

I have nothing against Hailee and look forward to seeing her in more movies. To me, since I didn't come away hating her (like I did KD) that means she wasn't as believable in the role as a p.i.t.a. In fact, I ended up feeling sorry for her because of the circumstances which thrust her into becoming her family's matriarch much too soon.

Minority yes but i'm there too-

The promos ruined it for me-

I wont pay a dime to see it B)

Cable------Sure

You better take mama out to dinner and a movie!!! B)

Archived