SASS Wire Forum

Out on a limb with True Grit

I saw True Grit today, and I was a little bit disappointed.

I had been reading the hype about it and the spin was that this version was more true to the book than the John Wayne version.

I was pretty excited, because, except for the ending, the Wayne version followed the book very closely. I figured this one would be even better. In fact my son and I both re-read the Portis book last week in preparation for our screening today, To say we were excited to see this version would be a gross understatement. We have both been dieing to see it since the trailers came out.

As far as the new version being truer to the book, actually nothing could be farther from the truth. The ending is truer to the book, and much better than the original movie. But the rest of the movie deviates substantially from the book. Especially the role of Lebeouf (Matt Damon). I was really looking forward to seeing him play Lebeouf because he is such a good actor. But the changes in the role kind of ruined it for me.

Bridges played the Cogburn role very well and the girl who played Matty was good too. I enjoyed the movie overall, but the plot changes the Cohen brothers made did nothing to improve the movie.

I know I'm holding the minority view here, but that's the way I see it.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Mike you went in with too big of expectations i think .

this happens when everyone you talk to has seen the movie

version but has not read the book .I have seen both movies

and liked both for different reasons-but i will now read the book

and enjoy it more because i will be able to picture the people

better -some times its not best to read the book first-to make

a 90 min movie things have to be changed to make a script. :unsure:

. . . the plot changes the Cohen brothers made did nothing to improve the movie.

And that is surprising because??? That is pretty much what I would expect from them.

I'll probably go see it though.

But I'm Sorry to hear about your disappointment.

I'm only 57 but I've yet to see a movie that contained every story or scene in any book. I don't believe too many folks would pay $50 to sit through a 12 hour movie and they can't make a living selling only DVDs. If they put all the good parts in Lonesome Dove in that miniseries it would have run 24 hours instead of only 4.

My wife and I enjoyed the movie for what it was - a well told story with good acting, especially Hallie Steinfeld as Maddie Ross.

It isn't a question of leaving scenes out. They changed scenes that were in the book, and that were in both movies, in ways that were detrimental to the story...at least in my opinion.

For instance, in the book, and in the first movie, Lebeouf doesn't leave Cogburn and Mattie, as he does twice in the Bridges movie. Also, in the book and in the Wayne version LeBeouf is shot by Ned Peper's gang. In the Bridges version Cogburn shoots him by accident. That changes the whole nature of their partnership and it really changes the whole episode at the dougout including the first confrontation with Ned Pepper's gang. I don't see where it improves on the original.

I understand things change in movies verus books, but I wonder why the reviewers said it was closer o the book than the Wayne version when it clearly isn't.

Also, you should read the book. It is great, and very short. Just about every pertinent scene from the book is in both movies. My only beef is with the spurious deviations in this version.

I still enjoyed it, and I will buy the DVD when it comes out...but I expected better.

Howdy

I enjoyed the movie simply because it was a really good movie. A movie is a separate art form from a book. A movie stands all by itself as a piece of art and does not have to follow the plot of the original book. There are all kinds of cinematic reasons. I have read the Godfather and have seen the movie a zillion times. The Godfather is very different from the book in many ways, and the screenplay was even written by the same author who wrote the book. With all due respect, comparing a movie to its book form is just not fair to the movie, and as you can see, it can set you up for disappointment.

I do intend to read the novel one of these days and will be interested to see how it varies from the movie, but I will not be expecting them to be the same.

I don't get too disappointed if it strays from the book...that is what they do...

Have you ever read the story that the movie "A Christmas Story" was gleened from?? It is basicly a chapter the book called "In God We Trust, All others Pay Cash", by Jean Sheppard. Give it a read some time...

still gonna go see the movie. And I anin't even gonna compare Bridges to Duke....

will let ya know what I think

curley

I get it...really I do.

As I point out in my Guns of the Old West article in the current issue, Elmore Leonard's "3:10 to Yuma" was a 15 page short story. It has only one scene in common with the 122-minute Russel Crowe movie. But the movie is fantastic.

For what it is worth, if you enjoy reading, and you haven't read the Portis book, "True Grit", you owe it to yourself to pick it up.

As a book it is just about perfect, and I don't say that lightly.

For what it is worth, if you enjoy reading, and you haven't read the Portis book, "True Grit", you owe it to yourself to pick it up.

As a book it is just about perfect, and I don't say that lightly.

I watch the Duke Version every time it comes on TV and yesterday I saw the new version. It was like watching a brand new movie. The Cogburn and Mattie characters were not duplicates of the Duke version; they were brand new to me! I think I'll take BD Mike's suggestion and read the book.

Zack McGee, Lonesome Dove is 8 hours for the first installment, I just got the whole collectors edition, 8 DVD's, covers the whole timespread. Have only seen parts 1-4, the first 2 DVD's so far.

I enjoyed the heck out of it. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Very solid acting, especially Mattie. The Coens did a fabulous job working in some humorous lines and the timing was great.

Guns were great.

I am just halfway through the book now and I find it very well in line for a film adaptation.

-Nate

Its best to take each project as its own thing. The book is the book and the movies are the movies, they all have something to offer, and while they can be compared (which is better etc.), its possible for them all to be different, yet still good. I think this is true in this case.

I enjoyed the new version a great deal and believe it is a great addition to the catalog of western movies. With any luck, it might inspire other good directors and actors to make new westerns.

It isn't a question of leaving scenes out. They changed scenes that were in the book, and that were in both movies, in ways that were detrimental to the story...at least in my opinion.

For instance, in the book, and in the first movie, Lebeouf doesn't leave Cogburn and Mattie, as he does twice in the Bridges movie. Also, in the book and in the Wayne version LeBeouf is shot by Ned Peper's gang. In the Bridges version Cogburn shoots him by accident. That changes the whole nature of their partnership and it really changes the whole episode at the dougout including the first confrontation with Ned Pepper's gang. I don't see where it improves on the original.

I understand things change in movies verus books, but I wonder why the reviewers said it was closer o the book than the Wayne version when it clearly isn't.

Also, you should read the book. It is great, and very short. Just about every pertinent scene from the book is in both movies. My only beef is with the spurious deviations in this version.

I still enjoyed it, and I will buy the DVD when it comes out...but I expected better.

Mike, Thanks for the information about the changes, I see what you mean. I do plan on reading the book. I just read Appaloosa as well as Resolution and Brimstone (on my iPhone no less). I was amazed at how much of the dialog came straight from the book. That was probably the closest adaptation of a book in any movie I've ever seen.

Regards,

ZM

Minority yes but i'm there too-

The promos ruined it for me-

I wont pay a dime to see it <_<

Cable------Sure

I have heard others say "I'll wait for it to come on TV." In the next breath I'll read "why don't they make westerns any more." If people like us don't support westerns by seeing them in the theater do you think the X-Box addicted teenagers will?

If you want to see Hollywood make more westerns go see the ones they do make. I'm not talking about the wierd stuff like Jonah Hex and Cowboys vs Aliens but any genuine western. They won't be going to cable if they don't make it in the first place. And before you say that the theaters are too pricey think about what you spend on ammo and travel for even a local shoot. It's all for entertainment.

Thus endeth my rant for the day.

Buck (I enjoyed the movie) Rio

I enjoyed the new version a great deal and believe it is a great addition to the catalog of western movies. With any luck, it might inspire other good directors and actors to make new westerns.

I thought the Movie was Awesome and I agree wholeheartedly with Doc. We need more westerns

Mike, Thanks for the information about the changes, I see what you mean. I do plan on reading the book. I just read Appaloosa as well as Resolution and Brimstone (on my iPhone no less). I was amazed at how much of the dialog came straight from the book. That was probably the closest adaptation of a book in any movie I've ever seen.

Regards,

ZM

While fun, Parker's Appaloosa is not a very long or sophisticated novel, so its adaption as a screenplay worked very well. Did you have an audio-book download on your iPhone or an ebook, like a kindle download?

I love to read, and have read True Grit, Appalosa, the Searchers, and many other books that have been made into movies. Without fail, something is changed, some for time and others because the director thought it was better, I guess. One thing books can do that movies can't, due to time constraints, is fully develop the characters and the storyline. With that said, I don't think the changes in the movie detracted from the story at all. I liked the book, enjoyed the first True Grit and thoroughly enjoyed the second. What I really liked was although I was very familiar with the story the new version was different enough to keep it interesting with a fresh perspective. It was a remake in the sense both movies were made from the same story, but the new movie presents it in a much more realistic setting, period appropriate costuming and firearms, and dialogue that fit the era. In the 1969 TG John Wayne and cast always looked like they had just had a shower before putting on fresh clothes to ride out into the beautiful mountains of Colorado. This version is a lot grittier, and not wanting to be a spoiler I'll leave it at that. I suggest everyone do themselves a favor, spend the few dollars it takes and go see this at a theater if just to hear realistic gunfire. I'm sure you'll find more to like than dislike.

I just went to see the new one and enjoyed it immensely. I very seldom go to movies anymore due to rude loud mouthed people that think theyare watching in their den, however, I did go to this one and there were no distractions, everyone seemed to enjoy the movie as much as I did, Jeff Bridges was great as Rooster and guns sounded like guns and it was not filmed in the CO Rockies.

Found out as I was leaving, it was "seniors" night which probably accounted for the lack of noise and chair kicking.

I really enjoyed it and will recommend it to others in the area, shooters and non-shooters.

We saw it today and I recommend it to anyone, including those who saw Wayne's version of True Grit.

The original book told the story through the 14 year old's eyes. This version did just that. The producers did an excellent job at presenting a tough as nails frontier woman bent on avenging her father's murder.

Further, when was the last time you saw some fire a gunshot from hundreds or thousand of yards away and immediately heard the report of the gunshot? They get pluses for that, but I don't see how you explain the lighting at the dugout along the river.

There were plenty of scenes that weren't in the book or were different. That said they by and large caught the spirit of the book, the scene, or the interaction between the characters. Cogburn was not the central character but he was just as colorful as the Wayne character was.

Besides being an excellent western, the producers took the risk of remaking a popular classic. This movie is worth seeing just to see how well a remake can be done. The producers had the luck that Wayne's version showcased Wayne and not Mattie and drifted far away from the book.

My feeling is that it is an excellent western, well worth the money and time to go see. When it comes out on DVD it will be added to Sassy and mine's library. Not only that Sassy is thinking about teaching True Grit again in her 6,7, 8th grade literature class. She thinks this movie is much closer to the book than Wayne's production, but she will like show the Waybe version in class.

Finally, a prediction...the final scene in the new version shows the older Mattie having a very limited discussion about Cogburn at the Wild Wesy Show...I am thinking they may have done that to have some sequels with Cogburn. Only time will tell...

Since a good portion of the movie was filmed in New Mexico, took my family and that of my foreman for a Christmas Eve dinner and movie. Any horse opera filmed here we go and see. Certainly this film gives a darker and gritier (more realistic) view of that period in history, or for some in this part of the world, it's still just as gritty :P

Liked most of the film, except for one character during the middle wearing the bear skin. We thought this actor was the weakest part of the whole film, and didn't seem like perfect match for the part. Maybe he was a down & out friend of the Coen Brothers needing work? This seems to happen quite a bit with modern directors; Ron Howard hiring his down & out brothers (Clint "Gentle Ben" Howard and older brother Rance) to appear in every film he makes.

This new Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld) was actually better than expected. This film does not replace the Duke's film, but I will certainly add it to my stable of Blue Ray cowboy epics.

T.H. O'Sullivan

Black Mesa Ranch

New Mexico

:blush:

Guest Hashknife Willie, SASS# 59308

Sassy and I went to see it, she enjoyed it very much, I laughed most of the way through it and really enjoyed it as well. Maybe I just wanted it to be good but I thought it was very entertaining! Isn't that the point of going to the movies? That is besides the popcorn with just doesnt taste as good anywhere else.

It was ok, Just don't see why they couldn't make a new movie, instead of a redo of the True Grit story, then we'd have another good western, instead..........we have True Grit 1 or 2 ?????????? I must agree with a previous post....the bear guy scene was.............well just stupid!!!!!!!!! Just my view.....

Blood Washed

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about this redo of such a classic. but I have to say, it is a good movie, I especially liked Hailee Steinfeld's Mattie..........much better than Kim Darby. nothing against Ms. Darby, I just never could buy her as a 14 year old in the original. As much as I doubted Jeff Bridges as Rooster, I have to say, the "Dude" abides ! He's no John Wayne, but he did an admireable job.

my only complaint with the whole movie, is being able to see the italian proof marks on the Dragoon early in the movie. ( I know,.........thats nitpicking)!

as for those who will wait for the DVD to come out,.....we, as cowboy enthusiasts owe it to ourselves to support the kind of movies we want to see made. if we fail to see them , they will dry up and go away...........again.

do yourself a favor,.........take a night off, go see a good western !

Saw True Grit at the theater last night. GREAT MOVIE! I liked every character, every line, and every scene. Loved the musical score! I thought the choosing of an old gospel hymn (Leaning On the Everlasting Arms) as the theme background music was a stroke of genius.

What a fellowship, what a joy divine,

Leaning on the everlasting arms;

What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,

Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Refrain:

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,

Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,

Leaning on the everlasting arms?

I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,

My kids (22 & 24) and I went saw it last night. I'd read Captain Baylor's comments on Facebook that if one took it as a stand-alone movie as opposed to going in with the mindset of "It's a remake of a classic" it was good, and he was right. I enjoyed it immensely. I even liked the guy in the bear skins...

This is one that's going into my library when it comes out on DVD...

And I agree with Mister Quail regarding the background music...

God help us all if anyone ever tries to re-imagine "Lonesome Dove"....or "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon"...or "The Searchers"..or [fill in the blank].

The Searchers could definitely do with a remake. That one, however, won't be remade, for John Ford's work as much as for Wayne's.

I have heard others say "I'll wait for it to come on TV." In the next breath I'll read "why don't they make westerns any more." If people like us don't support westerns by seeing them in the theater do you think the X-Box addicted teenagers will?

Ain't that the truth. I saw the new version and it cost a lot less than a box of ammo. If folks wait for it to come to DVD, they'll stop making them.

This seems to happen quite a bit with modern directors; Ron Howard hiring his down & out brothers (Clint "Gentle Ben" Howard and older brother Rance) to appear in every film he makes.

Rance Howard is Ron Howard's father, not his brother. It is called ensemble casting. John Ford did it all the time. He used the same actors over and over again in his movies. Almost every John Wayne movie he made had Ward Bond in it. He used Ken Curtis, Victor McLaglen, Mildred Natwick and his own brother Francis Ford many times.

It was ok, Just don't see why they couldn't make a new movie, instead of a redo of the True Grit story, then we'd have another good western, instead..........we have True Grit 1 or 2 ??????????

It's called Free Enterprise. The Cohen Brothers are very successful Hollywood producers. They come up with the money and they get to make what they want. If you come up with the money you can make what you want.

Saw True Grit at the theater last night. GREAT MOVIE! I liked every character, every line, and every scene. Loved the musical score! I thought the choosing of an old gospel hymn (Leaning On the Everlasting Arms) as the theme background music was a stroke of genius.

What a fellowship, what a joy divine,

What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,

Refrain:

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,

Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,

Leaning on the everlasting arms?

I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,

Birdgun, I was raised Southern Baptist. The use of the older, traditional hymns throughout the movie was a brilliant stroke IMHO. I think it deserves an Academy nomination for musical score. It wouldn't have been 1/2 the movie it was (and I think it is the best western since Lonesome Dove) without it.

Thanks for posting the lyrics.

"Coen". Not "Cohen". I know spelling isn't important on this website, but it's difficult to take a review seriously when names aren't spelled correctly.

As to the movie, I went to see it yesterday. The theatre was packed! Only 2 empty seats in the first rubberneck row.

It was memorable. I look forward to seeing it again.

Birdgun, I was raised Southern Baptist. The use of the older, traditional hymns throughout the movie was a brilliant stroke IMHO. I think it deserves an Academy nomination for musical score. It wouldn't have been 1/2 the movie it was (and I think it is the best western since Lonesome Dove) without it.

Thanks for posting the lyrics.

It's already been determined ineligible for the Oscar for score, because the score incorporates largely pre-existing material. A great score can get ruled out of the competition on that basis.

• 2 weeks later...

No big deal Mike. I just happen to like a few of the Coen Bros. films... (Fargo, True Grit) ... so I know how to spell their names.

If you woulda botched Sara Pailend's name, I wouldn't said a thing. :wub:

Archived