SASS Wire Forum

Slide Action .22

Marshall John Joseph

I have been looking for a reasonably priced "shootin' gallery" style .22 pump of good quality. I see that Henry makes one. Anyone have any experience with the Henry pump .22? I have not seen one and would like to know if there are plastic parts like their entry level lever action .22. From what I have read, they seem to be well made.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Not interested in "Henry bashing". I too object to their advertising practices/Henry connection, but their pump is, I believe, proprietary and not connected to any original Henry.

Happy New Year.

MJJ

I too was looking at the Henry Pump .22 and finally found one. I'm not sure if no one had removed the milling material after assembly or not but I could hardley work the action. The same toy store had a Taurus pump action that, although it wasn't "race ready", was fairly smooth. It was also a lot less expensive. I spent a couple hours with my handy dremel tool and polishing media and it is a smooth, very accurate rifle.

My $.02.

I too was looking at the Henry Pump .22 and finally found one. I'm not sure if no one had removed the milling material after assembly or not but I could hardley work the action. The same toy store had a Taurus pump action that, although it wasn't "race ready", was fairly smooth. It was also a lot less expensive. I spent a couple hours with my handy dremel tool and polishing media and it is a smooth, very accurate rifle.

My $.02.

Excuse my "denseness", but did you buy the Henry and polish it, or buy the Taurus? Does the Henry have plastic parts... barrel retainer, sights?

Thanks

MJJ

I would suggest you consider an original Winchester 1890 or model 1906 slide action. The 1890 will be caliber specific, but most of the 1906 models will shoot 22 short, long, and LR. There are a bunch listed on gunbroker, with shooters going from $275 to $450. The Taurus/Rossi 62 is a pretty good copy, but it ain't a Winchester! :blink:

As for the Henry pump......... :unsure:

Guest diablo slim shootist

My Rossi works fine-Winchesters around here are too pricy IMHO

do you just want something to plink with or do you want something to

put in the safe and take out only to show your pards :unsure:

The one neat thing about the Rossi is it will slam fire like the 97 shotgun. Have don't have a Henry but have several other pump 22's They are a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!!!

The older guns are just more fun to shoot....

Winchester Model 61..or..Winchester Model 62..or..Remington 572

just fun guns with an attitude!

QDG.

Howdy

I'm a little bit prejudiced on the subject of old gallery rifles because I have my Dad's old Winchester Model '06. His dad bought it for him in the 1930s. The Model 1906 was a more reasonably priced modification of the Model 1890. And unlike the Model 1890, you could fire either 22 Shorts, 22 Longs, or 22 Long Rifles in it. Most 1890s I have seen were for 22 Shorts. In any case, they were all specific as to which version of the 22 they could feed.

I have handled the Taurus version of the '06, and frankly I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for one. Rough as a cob compared to a real Winchester. Of course, I am spoiled.

There were a couple of other nice 22 gallery rifles that were made, and they may not be quite as costly as the Model '06. There was the Remington Model 121, and the Winchester Model 61. These are both hammerless models. The Winchester Model 61 was made specifically to compete with the Remington Model 121.

The Winchesters usually run a bit more, but you might be able to find a nice old Remington Model 121 for not much more than $300.

Personally, I would buy ANY old gun over a Henry, but everybody knows that.

I would suggest you consider an original Winchester 1890 or model 1906 slide action. The 1890 will be caliber specific, but most of the 1906 models will shoot 22 short, long, and LR. There are a bunch listed on gunbroker, with shooters going from $275 to $450. The Taurus/Rossi 62 is a pretty good copy, but it ain't a Winchester! :blush:

As for the Henry pump......... :lol:

+1 for the Win. 1890 mine in 22 WRF, or the 1906, which I love both of mine, I also love my Rem. 121 which was made in 1948 and in about 97% condition.

Ricochet Roy

As D.J. said Taurus is one thats not to slick. The Toy Store told me to stay away from the Taurus, thats why i bought the Rossi. Plus You can get a Rossi in stanless. If your just wanting one to shoot the older guns are great. I have all differant makes and models they all still shoot real accurate.

You can find a lot of them on gunbroker from $150-$300 for a shooter. The little pump guns are my favorite gun to shoot, take one or two every thime we go to the range.

"You can find a lot of them on gunbroker from $150-$300 for a shooter. The little pump guns are my favorite gun to shoot, take one or two every time we go to the range."

Been lookin'. Most are going $400-$500 plus and you don't know function, shot out barrels, cracked stocks. Saw one called NRA fine, piece of the butt plate missing, slight rust. :lol: I prefer buying on the Wire Classifieds. :wub:

Anyone want to sell one? :blush:

MJJ

Howdy Marshall JJ, it just takes time to find the deals. Bought most of mine the last couple of years. Most of of them were nicer then the pictures? Only had one not work out of the box! I guess i've been lucky they all shoot just fine. Also lucky that have friends that have the shop i deal with they have found me a couple of good deals.

Just Keep looking yo'll find one.

I emailed Henry this AM and was suprised to get an almost immediate response from the owner (or someone using his email). I was first told that if I was a new Henry (made in the USA) customer, to look at their Frontier model, since lever actions are their specialty and they had no plastic parts. <_< He said that the pump did have a plastic trigger guard.

I emailed back that I already owned a made in the USA Marlin 39A and did not understand why he recommended a lever action if I wanted a pump. I politely asked why in the world use a plastic trigger guard - when a metal one could not possibly cost a few bucks more in manufacturing and lend more quality to the gun.

His response back was that the pump had a plastic trigger guard, no metal replacements, and if I wanted one, that's the way they come. :huh:

We wished each other a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Anybody have an old Wnchester 22 pump that they want to sell? ;)

MJJ

As D.J. said Taurus is one thats not to slick. The Toy Store told me to stay away from the Taurus, thats why i bought the Rossi. Plus You can get a Rossi in stanless. If your just wanting one to shoot the older guns are great. I have all differant makes and models they all still shoot real accurate.

You can find a lot of them on gunbroker from $150-$300 for a shooter. The little pump guns are my favorite gun to shoot, take one or two every thime we go to the range.

I believe the Taurus and the Rossi are the same exact gun. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I always thot. Taurus bought out Rossi and just kept the assembly line rolling right along. I do believe.

I believe there is one for sale in our local paper,a Winchester i believe.Will see if i can find it.The Visalia Times Delta classifieds.

I have an old Remington I bought at a Pawn Shop for $200.00 it function flawlessly and is a tack driver.

I like checking out local pawn shops adn have gotten some real good deals from them especially on not so popular guns.

Doc

Just go to their website and click on "Own a Henry" and download the owners manuals. I looked at them and the internals on the lever and the pump look almost identical. Which makes sense. Common parts help keep down costs.

I have two of the 16" Rossi pumps, one in blue and one in nickel. Both have been trouble free and are fun to shoot, I'll probably pick up a long barreled one someday. I have friends who have the Taurus version of the same rifle and theirs work fine as well. My rifles don't have the safety on top of the bolt which I consider unnecessary and ugly, I think those were added after the Taurus buyout. The blued one shoots shorts, longs and long rifles, the nickel one will only feed long rifles. The only difference is that the blue gun has a cartridge stop on a pressed in pin in the carrier, but the nickel gun's carrier is drilled for the pin and I THINK it could be easily converted to feed the shorter rounds which would then allow the use of CB caps.

My Rossis are acceptably slick and I've seen some junior shooters using similar rifles in matches. I never had a Winchester pump as a kid so I'm happy to pay Rossi prices rather than what others pay for a nice Winchester for nostalgia's sake.

Just go to their website and click on "Own a Henry" and download the owners manuals. I looked at them and the internals on the lever and the pump look almost identical. Which makes sense. Common parts help keep down costs.

Honestly, I would not mind buying the Henry pump. It looks well made; their 22's get pretty good reviews by owners. I just "dunt like plastic" - if I knew I could replace the triggerguard with something that looked good and would fit properly I would probably buy the Henry and replace the guard. I know that this sounds like a trivial point, but .... things like this drive me crazy. :huh: If the manufacturer touts that it is Made in the USA and then cheaps it out with a 50 cent trigger guard, for cryin out loud. ;) For a couple of bucks more, use metal - display the pride you say you have in your Made In the USA rifle. And this is NOT just meant for the Henry's - others do it too.

In the meantime, I will keep searching. <_<

If any of you Pards come across a 22 pump that you "aint a gonna buy", and want to pass the info on to me, I will certainly appreciate it. :D

Safe shooting

MJJ

I had a new short-barrelled Taurus. It worked fine, but was too muzzle light to use for indoor CAS .22 shoots. It bounced too much at speed to keep the front sight on target. It was fine for plinking. Worked OK for the price. I've had 1890 and 62A Winchesters. They were class acts. I stupidly sold them for the passing fad of the day; dumb. The Winchesters always worked fine.

My latest CAS .22 rifle is a Marlin 39A made in 1941. Hopefully I can hang on to it.

• 3 weeks later...

This reply is duplicated in another thread, but it is worth repeating.

I was in a quandry trying to decide which pump action 22 to buy. It had to shoot short, long and long rifle. The advice was to find an old Winchester; 100 year old gun with no warranty, but with great style points and a history about it. They gorun from $300 to $600 or more on the auction sites. I looked at the Henry (not in person, but in the catalog and in pictures on line), but this plastic trigger guard turned me off.

After some soul searching, I went with the Henry Pump. I lost patience looking for a good Winchester that was not "shot out", cracked stock, rusted, and out of this world priced. I just got the Henry today. Well shut my mouth!!! :FlagAm: It is really a beautiful rifle. Full octo barrel, Marbles sights, beautiful walnut. (and the trigger guard is not some cheap plastic crap but a metal lookalike polymer.) The action is a little snug, but it is supposed to wear in. It is truely a beautiful rifle. Wood to metal fit is great. Do I wish the receiver was solid like the Marlin 39A. Sure. But I paid $399.99 NEW with a lifetime warranty from Henry and Davidson's. (the .22 Magnum version is $56 more). I am so far very satisfied. Will report back after I shoot it for a couple of hundred rounds. And it fits with the persona of my Ruger Convertible Single Sixes as well.

MJJ

Archived