SASS Wire Forum

OT: Any Veterinarians Online?

Dusty Morningwood

Looking for some quick input. We are traveling and left our dogs with my inlaws. One of them, a 3 y/o male Shihtzu, got a little stove up playing in the snow and my mother inlaw gave him half an Ibupropen (about 100mg). This is alarming, as we know that Ibupropen is toxic to dogs and can cause their organs to fail rapidly. We found this out several hours after the fact - too long for forced vomiting to help - and wonder if there is a real danger here. The dog is not large, maybe 15 pounds, and are concerned. Don't want the inlaws running around trying to find a vet on Christmas Day unless absolutely necessary. Any advice?

Looking for some quick input. We are traveling and left our dogs with my inlaws. One of them, a 3 y/o male Shihtzu, got a little stove up playing in the snow and my mother inlaw gave him half an Ibupropen (about 100mg). This is alarming, as we know that Ibupropen is toxic to dogs and can cause their organs to fail rapidly. We found this out several hours after the fact - too long for forced vomiting to help - and wonder if there is a real danger here. The dog is not large, maybe 15 pounds, and are concerned. Don't want the inlaws running around trying to find a vet on Christmas Day unless absolutely necessary. Any advice?

I am NOT a vet....

The toxic dose is about 50mg per lb. so it looks like the dose was well under the lethal level,

Here is a link regarind the treatment>>Ibuprofin toxicity

Looks like the best course of action is to take the pup to a vet as treatment needs to be as an inpatient.

I hope the dose was small enough to not cause any permanent damage...

JJJ-D

;):ph34r:

Archived