SASS Wire Forum

Resizing resized brass

Just Bruce

Howdy pards.

I figured someone here would have the correct answer.

I bought some used brass from a guy I work with. His dad used to reload and when his dad died, he got the brass.

He sold it to me. Some had new primers, but most didn't.

The brass that has new primers has been cleaned.

When I tried to reload the brass with new primers, the bullets slip in. I can actually load the bullets by hand into the cases.

I think he resized them by hand.

The bullets slip down into the cases when I try to seat them with my Dillion 550.

I have 330 primed cases like this; 200 brass & 130 nickle. Is there any way I can make the case mouths smaller?

I've tried closing them with the crimper and then resizing them again. They're still too big.

Any ideas on how I can use make this brass usable?

You didnt give enough info. Is this straight wall pistol brass or bottle neck rifle? Bottle neck pistol etc. what caliber? Have you miked the case mouths? Personally, if you run them through the sizer die and the case necks do not size down and hold a bullet, you have brass that is ready for the recycling can. I do not think a crimp die would get you anywhere near tightening the neck down enough to load a round. A crimp die just puts a crimp in the edge of the case (or if you get over zealous with 223 brass and run the die all the way to the ram face, you can buldge a case something fierce so I hear)

Remove the decapping pin from your sizing die and run the primed cases through your sizer, then expand the mouths, load and crimp as normal

Perfect info for you. Follow it and you will be good to go! Smithy.

FWIW, what probably happened is the previous owner of the brass had mistakenly primed a bunch of cases using a universal decapping die and a handheld priming tool after they were previously fired, and he forgot to size em before priming em.

The same procedure you are using now is also useful if you ever have to pull bullets from loaded cases, and wish to reload the primed brass afterward.

Guest diablo slim shootist

I SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR BULLET SIZE IS SUPPOSE TO BE .

sorry for speaking too loud -i have seen times when a box gits miss

marked and are actually 9mm ;)

Could be the previous owner was shooting 38 Special in a Victory S&W model 10 38 S&W. I had a Military Victory 38 S$W.

Some one after the War reamed the chambers to 38 Special. I shot it a few time and traded it off. It would swell those Special case's.

Archived