SASS Wire Forum

For you amateur photographers like me...

Nice shot Okie! I've been a diver since '85 and I know just how hard it is to get those kind of shots. Never fails, I've got my macro setup when a whale shark swims by, or my 35mm lens when I see a new nudibranch (sp). Still love the old Nikonus V!

Dogmeat Dad

Deadwood, I got certified in 1971, when the Nikonos II was top dog. I didn't have the coin to get one back then, but I sure wanted one. Dang, that got me to thinking about the old steel tanks, J valves, hard backpacks, hard lead squares on the belt, and dive tables. Now everything is aluminum tanks with nitrox, dive computers and BCs with integrated weights. I think I like today better. :P

Deadwood, I got certified in 1971, when the Nikonos II was top dog. I didn't have the coin to get one back then, but I sure wanted one. Dang, that got me to thinking about the old steel tanks, J valves, hard backpacks, hard lead squares on the belt, and dive tables. Now everything is aluminum tanks with nitrox, dive computers and BCs with integrated weights. I think I like today better. :wacko:

Okie, I got certified in '74 and my diving experience was just like you describe. We used steel double tanks when going to 200' off "The Wall". Damn those were heavy and awkward before getting in the water. Note the ancient equipment I'm wearing in the photo at the link below. That Fenzy vest was with its separate air bottle was top of the line back then. I haven't diving in 20 years, so I haven't even seen any of the new stuff.

Damn, that was a great summer! :P

Freeport '74

Okie, I got certified in '74 and my diving experience was just like you describe. We used steel double tanks when going to 200' off "The Wall". Damn those were heavy and awkward before getting in the water. Note the ancient equipment I'm wearing in the photo at the link below. That Fenzy vest was with its separate air bottle was top of the line back then. I haven't diving in 20 years, so I haven't even seen any of the new stuff.

Damn, that was a great summer! :FlagAm:

Freeport '74

Tune in next week for another adventure of SEA HUNT! :ph34r:

I used to love that show. Now I wonder where the hell their technical advisor came from? :FlagAm::ph34r:

Yeah me too. Somehow the fights always ended with someone getting his air hose cut or face mask knocked off.

Do you remember the scene in "Thunderball" where Sean Connery fights off the bad guys while breathing from his 'emergency air tank' which was the size of a couple of CO2 cartridges? I'd like to see that done for real!

:P

Yeah me too. Somehow the fights always ended with someone getting his air hose cut or face mask knocked off.

Do you remember the scene in "Thunderball" where Sean Connery fights off the bad guys while breathing from his 'emergency air tank' which was the size of a couple of CO2 cartridges? I'd like to see that done for real!

:FlagAm:

We snorkeled Thunderball Grotto at Staniel Cay in the Bahamas, where the water scenes in T-ball werre filmed. The cave was cool! The roof had the chimney that Bond was lifted out of by the rescue helicopter, so there was enough light to see inside ~ and come out the other side of the island.

The books said that one could feed cereal to the fish, so Calico brought a plastic bag of Cheerios ~ and got mobbed. She put the bag away, and we went into the cave and came out the other side. There we met a family just going in, with a little girl about 8 years old. I asked if she wanted some cereal to feed the fish and we gave her the bag.

Right after they swam into the grotto, we heard these shrieks...... :ph34r:

So we went AROUND the island to get back to our boat.

I snorkled off Kona several years ago. The only danger was the dummy at the dive shop that rented a camera with no film!

Archived