SASS Wire Forum

Safe/vault pedestal

Dungannon Gunner

Carpeted vault/safe pedestal

I want to build a carpeted pedestal. Ft Knox offers these for $59.00 regardless of size. Does anyone know how these are constructed? X number of 2x4s cut and hammered and then carpet applied? Maybe someone has a better design than Ft. Knox

Probably not even that much in the pre-made unit.

I'd simply use 2 or 3 rails of 2X4 or 2X6 on edge (depending on desired height), and a "topper" of 3/4 ply. use scrap ply to make a front facia. Cover the whole works with a scrap of indoor/outdoor carpet (homey depot or lowes sells "runner" by the foot). SCREW the whole works together and tack on the carpet.

The reason ya don't need 2X lumber on top is the weight is gonna be on the rails anyway, so the top just holds em in place until the safe is set on em. Now, GOOD LUCK getting that pup up on there. Probably need some jerry rigged ramps when ya wheel the safe in.....

Howdy folks, I placed mine on a heavy duty rubber mat, mayby 1/2 inch thick.

That way I was still able to fasten it to the concrete floor and walls. I didn't

want to make it to easy for the bad guys...

Happy trails and Happy holidays folks

QDG :P

Actually, I just built one. I made the perimeter of 2x4, with two 2x4 pieces inside in a "ladder" formation. I figured, just like AJ said, most of the weight would be on the perimeter.

I used framing nails for the 2x4, then covered the top and bottom with 3/4 ply. I attached the ply with glue and 8d nails, being sure to catch all the x-members and perimeter pieces.

I got a piece of I/O carpeting from HD. One thing I can suggest is DO NOT use carpet adhesive, as that stuff is really slow drying and will fill your house (and lungs) with VOCs for some time afterwards. Just staple and call it good. Once the safe is on it, the carpet is not going anywhere.

I was careful to build the pedestal the height of the FK optional one so that the dealer would have no issues when delivering the safe. One 2x4 and two thicknesses of 3/4 ply comes out to five inches, the height of the factory offering. As it turned out, the pallet jack the dealer used to deliver and install the safe was JUST high enough to get the safe up, onto the pedestal. So, I'd be reluctant to recommend the use of any material thicker than 2x4.

:FlagAm: Had my new Superior Safe delivered by sales rep. He suggested setting it on top of four hockey pucks. Cheap and works great.

Mine's sitting on a concrete floor on four wood wedges that I cut out of 2x4's and used to level it. The wedges also create an air space underneath it so moisture doesn't get to it.

Archived