SASS Wire Forum

Questions on Rio Bravo & El Dorado

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

Okay so last night I started to watch Rio Bravo again for the upteenth time on TMC and is my favorite second only to Rio Grande, and once again saw Harry Carey Jr.'s name in the credits at the beginning. I believe I remember hearing that he had upset Howard Hawks and his part, whatever it was endedon the cutting room floor. I was hoping someone could tell me what his part was as there doesn't seem to be anything missing in the story?

And here is a question that I would bet hasn't been here before with regards to the rifles used in El Dorado. Robert Mitchum's looks similar to the "D" style used by Chuck Connors and of course John Wayne's model has the elongated version he always used. My question is that the script has Mitchum saying he had it it fixed up like Wayne's yet it is different, anyone know the reason for the two distinctly different loops when they were supposed to be the same?

Thanks ahead and Merry Christmas!

Okay so last night I started to watch Rio Bravo again for the upteenth time on TMC and is my favorite second only to Rio Grande, and once again saw Harry Carey Jr.'s name in the credits at the beginning. I believe I remember hearing that he had upset Howard Hawks and his part, whatever it was endedon the cutting room floor. I was hoping someone could tell me what his part was as there doesn't seem to be anything missing in the story?

And here is a question that I would bet hasn't been here before with regards to the rifles used in El Dorado. Robert Mitchum's looks similar to the "D" style used by Chuck Connors and of course John Wayne's model has the elongated version he always used. My question is that the script has Mitchum saying he had it it fixed up like Wayne's yet it is different, anyone know the reason for the two distinctly different loops when they were supposed to be the same?

This is from the IMDB for the movie Rio Bravo. "Harry Carey Jr.

Harold (scenes deleted) "

I read somewhere that Harry Carey Jr had called Howard Hawkes by his first name while on the set, which apparently was a no-no for minor actors to do. Can't remember where I read that. I guess it's kind of like the Corporal calling the Colonel by his christian name.

Not nessarily the answer to your question but JW didn't always use the same style. Many folks assume he only used the 3/4 style on a 16" trapper. I have several picture of JW with several different configurations. There were three different style loops on both 16" and 20" guns. If you will email me here;

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

I will email you those pictures.

On second thought I think that may be the answer to your question. The guns were different because that is what the prop folks had on hand. Probably one of the other JW guns.

Archived