SASS Wire Forum

Proper Gun Storage

Flatbush Kid

I'm sure this topic has come up in many a forum, but I would like to ask for the opinions of you all. What is the best way (if there IS any ONE way) to store long guns in a safe. Trying to not get them banged up too much. I had considered getting those gun socks, but I am not sure if they

1. Trap moisture and

2. Remove oil from the gun.

It's not that I am trying to baby them or anything, I'm not. In the course of shooting my guns, things happen and I know guns get nicked up. On the other hand, I'm thinking if I can avoid any unnecessary damage right in my own safe... why not?

If anyone would like to share any info on this to a relative newbie, I'd be much obliged.

If not, may the New Year bring to each and everyone of you cowboys and cowgirls good health and straight shooting to you and your families. In the short time that I have joined SASS, you folks have taught me a great deal. I'm much obliged.

Flatbush Kid

Spray guns down with Rem oil or Bull Frog protecterant,. place in gun socks, preferably ones impregnated with Teflon. If your safe is drilled for a golden rod use one, if not buy some dessicant. They should be good to go.

Tennessee Deadeye :P

Put a Golden Rod in the safe and hang a Bull Frog Emitter Shield, replace annually. Spray and clean guns with Bull Frog Rusthunter Firearm Cleaner. For the ultimate protection and long term storage use Bull Frog Lubricant with Rust Blocker and Bull Frog Gun Sleeves. Good Luck

http://www.bull-frog.com/products/

Jefro :P

What is the best way (if there IS any ONE way) to store long guns in a safe.

Kid, from multiple sources:

Yes - Per the NRA, 50% humidity and 70 degrees temperature. Firearms in the NRA Museum are stored under these conditions

Yes - Store all long arms muzzle down. Why? Butt stock down can crack the wood and metal has to grabbed for storage and removal

Yes, add a dehumidifier to you safe. I am partial to the Eva-dry EDV-E-500 Renewable Wireless for $24

No - Do not store any firearm in the safe in a container of any type, case, sleeve, sock, etc ... self explanatory

Trying to not get them banged up too much

Buy a safe large enough to store your existing and future purchase of firearms. Put the expensive least used ones in the rear of the safe. For all of them ... put them in carefully and take them out the same way. Might add, every firearm I own is wiped down with a shop rag with Eezox on it before they are put in the safes

Archived