SASS Wire Forum

Your starting set of guns

G. P. Cobb

If you could only make a first time purchase, what is the best set of SASS guns to accumulate. Never to get another set, just the first set. And to eliminate the Colts, Kimbers and originals, What is the optinum buy for SASS gunz............

Guest diablo slim shootist
If you could only make a first time purchase, what is the best set of SASS guns to accumulate. Never to get another set, just the first set. And to eliminate the Colts, Kimbers and originals, What is the optinum buy for SASS gunz............
YOU MADE IT HARD WITH NO Colts -Originals or Kimbers(?)

answer: Rugers-Hammered SxS ,&73 in 45colt -Then you can shoot any category but Frontier

answer: Rugers-Hammered SxS ,&73 in 45colt -Then you can shoot any category but Frontier

Yep, well let me add and edit to this one, let's put "Brand" in there also. Thanks DSS

Guest diablo slim shootist

Yep, well let me add and edit to this one, let's put "Brand" in there also. Thanks DSS

you lost me on that one Cobb(?) :P Is this a trick question?

For durability, Ruger

For authenticity, Uberti.

I have Ruger Vaqueros ("old version") in 45 LC. Use them also for back-up while hunting & hiking (I live in marginal grizzly country and hunt in grizzly country). Blackhawks would be more versatile over all and likely a little cheaper. Springs have been replaced with Wolff springs. Old Vaqueros and Blackhawks will handle real "warthog" cast loads for bears. Wife has "new" Vaqueros in .357 (38 spl).

I also have Cimmaron (Uberti) Artillery models. Black powder frames, RAC cartouches. Good looking. Cheaper than Rugers. Again, Wolff Springs. I've had no problems.

Shotgun: I have a rossi coach (haven't used it ye)t and an original Win 97 (marked "Adams Express Co"). No problems. Some clones aren't "legal". Some Chines is junk. Read up on the Wire for good/bad of each model.

Rifle: Too many choices to list. Henry Golden Boy is the least authentic (if that matters to you). Uberti's (etc) are the most authentic. Marlin's likely the most durable. A good starter is a bare bones Marlin 94. I have one in 44 mag that I use as a camp gun and a loaner to "newbies" Wife uses a Marlin Cowboy in 38 spl.

I tend to lean towards authenticity, so I usually use the Uberti's, a '73, and the '97. I'd recommend going to a few shoots and trying out some variety.

Good luck and welcome!

Well my starter set certainly hasn't done me wrong at all. Two Ruger Bisley Vaquero's, a Rossi 1892, and a Stoeger SXS. All in tip top shape and running order and from the looks of things will continue to do so. Smithy.

For best long term use:

Ruger Pistols in the caliber of your choice

Uberti 73 Rifle with the Marlin as an alternate

(Note a Spur tuned Marlin is as good, but hard to get. A Widdowmatic may be a good alternative.)

Shotgun:

for a SxS, best is an SKB or Browning with the Baikels as an alternate

For pump - a good IAC copy of the 97

Howdy

No Colts huh? Then I would get a pair of New Vaqueros. Hands down. Probably in 45 Colt, just like all my other CAS pistols.

Too many choices for rifles and shotguns. I keep running into so many nice, reasonably priced old guns.

Recently picked up a nice old Winchester '92 for under $500. Could do a lot worse than that. Lots of nice old Stevens SXS shotguns on the used gun racks too.

Pistols: Rugers.....either Vaqs or Blackhawks (prefer Vaqs)

Rifle: I've handled the best. And its a toss-up on 'the feel'. The Marlin just feels better on my shoulder and handling, even before the Widdermatic mods. Thanks for the flowers, Marauder.

SG: SxS (although I use the 97, I'm prone to always have a couple backups with me)

..........Widder

A pair of Rugers, a Baikal (Spartan, etc) SXS, and a marlin or 73, yer choice. If ya take care of em, they will last MOST shooters a lifetime (excepting some who are real rough on equipment and shoot/practice waaay more'n most)

Howdy

No Colts huh? Then I would get a pair of New Vaqueros. Hands down. Probably in 45 Colt, just like all my other CAS pistols.

Too many choices for rifles and shotguns. I keep running into so many nice, reasonably priced old guns.

Recently picked up a nice old Winchester '92 for under $500. Could do a lot worse than that. Lots of nice old Stevens SXS shotguns on the used gun racks too.

Well, having seen the "nice old Winchester '92" that Driftwood has, which I was on my way to purchase one day, only to find gone, (but I did get a different one the week before, so it's okay) I have to say that your "no Colts or originals" puts a real damper on things. For one thing, that Winchester IS an original! :P

I guess I'd have to go with a pair of Uberti SAA clones, an Uberti '73, and whoever it is that makes the reproduction 97s. Caliber would be either .44-40 or .32-30.

First pair of pistols I started with...

Ruger Vaquero's 357.... still shootin'em' have a back up pair.. yeah.. done a little work to them.. but not much.. mainly just shootem'

First rifle..

1866 Yellowboy 38 special.. still shooten' it.. had a little work done to it..

First shotgun...

Stoeger 12 gauge SxS.. still shootin' it.. well I guess I'm shootin' my second one.. cuz"

My wife (and shootin' partner) Lacey...

Confiscated my first set of Vaquero's... :D I'm shootin' the back ups.. that's ok :huh:

then she confiscated my Stoeger.. :blink: I got to get a new one... and break it in again.. that's ok :D

I got her a yellowboy... so I got to keep mine :P

She's switched to a Spur Marlin.. and tried to switch to a pair of 32 Vaquero's.

But she keeps comin' back to the old 357's..

Rance :blink:

Thinkin' never shoulda taught that lady about guns :blush:

But I wouldn't change a thing as long as she keeps shootin' with me :wacko:

If there were a SASS legal way to address the poor fitting grip design, no doubts or second thoughts about the short barl '58 Rems. With converters you would have good shooters, history and lots of versatility all in one pair that spans most anything SASS offers. Rifle, I would reluctantly leave y more popular guns behind and go with the beauty, fun and uniqueness offered by my Henry cc/blue frame. The shotgun would be a bone tough hammered double and, who knows, sticking with the one might actually improve my performance! Best of all when you are wearing some old Confederate uniform/indian garb with guns like these, one never feels pushed to take a bath! :P:wacko::blink:

Or B-Western. No 73's in BW.

For me.

Ruger Bisley's in .357 I only shoot Duelist or GFer. And like these best.

73 for rifle. Again. .357 Like the Border rifle with pistol grip.

SKB for SG.

Am shooting all the above at this time.

Have no desire to change any of them.

Freedom 97's 3 1/2 bbl. 38 Spl cylinder rounded grip butt and factory trigger job

Marlin 38 Spl Cowboy Competition aka "CBC"

Coyote Cap tuned Norchester 97 12 Ga.

Mernickle leather

If'n I got all this fancy stuff, why am I still so slow? Ya mean ya gotta practice too and can't just buy the "Magic"?

I started with 2 Ruger Vaqueros (Old) in 45, a Rossi 92 in 357 and a Rossi Hammered double in 20ga.

I have since gone to Rossi 12ga due to ammunition problems way back when. The 20ga plastic hulls changed and would not come out without help. I am on my third Rossi Hammered 12ga as I have broken two frames just behind barrel the hinge pin. The current gun is made up of parts from the first two. ALl the wood parts, barrels and locks.

I have back ups for them all but quit taking them to the range years ago. The number 3 & 4 Vaqueros have been loaned out to new shooters over the years but I have yet to shoot them myself in a match. They have been sited in for me.

The Rossi 92 has had the firing pin replace twice. The Ruger Vaqueros have had the original hammer springs cut a coil and a half. This was before spring kits. Those cut springs are still in the guns. The Rossi 92 Carbine is slicked up from wear and dirt.

I don't know how many rounds have gone through these guns. I use to shoot 5 and 6 matches a month and I use these same guns to test loading data in the ammunition shop.

My first match was EoT 1992.

I have other guns for other categories but these are my primary main match guns. Smokeless of Black Powder. Either is fine with me and them.

My vote is Ruger Vaquero's in .45 Colt. I started out that way, they shot great out of the box (original models), and after several years of shooting them 2 to 3 weekends a month they got slicked up and now are ever greater!

First set I bought were not a good pick.the number two set were Ruger Bisley they did not fit my hand,the set I shoot are Cimarron P models. First Shotgun was a Rossi open hammer S X S, hammers were to far apart for me, I have 2 Baikal S X S now. My rifle was a 92 and now I have two 92s one done by Nate the other stock.

For best long term use:

(Note a Spur tuned Marlin is as good, but hard to get. A Widdowmatic may be a good alternative.)

Shotgun:

Nuff said.

I started with a pair of EMF Dakotas (ASM frames) 9 years ago. I'm still shooting that pair of pistols. Also got a used Rossi 92 and a new Baikal Bounty Hunter, both of which I had slicked up by Joe West here in Cumming, GA (who does great work, BTW). The only firearm I no longer have is the 92. If I were starting now, I would go pretty much the same route, as it served me pretty well for a number of years.

I got mine, and still I "want" more, but don't need them

RNV SS 357

TTN Hammered double

Marlin slicked up by Jimmy Spurs

Even if I can't afford more for a long long time, these should keep me shooting.

Well my starter set certainly hasn't done me wrong at all. Two Ruger Bisley Vaquero's, a Rossi 1892, and a Stoeger SXS. All in tip top shape and running order and from the looks of things will continue to do so. Smithy.

If you ever want a change, consider me interested in some Bisleys.

A pair of Smoke Wagon's (Colt Clones) 1873 Comanchero Rifle from Taylor's & Co. They come slicked-up out of the box. and a I.A.C 97

This is why all my pards call me Gamer Rudy.

The Smoke Wagon's Became back-ups when the Runnin'Iron's came out. Had to have the blinn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope ya'll have a Merry Christmas

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

If I had to do it all over again it would be Ruger .357 Blackhawks, Uberti 73 in .357 and a Winchester 97

For best long term use:

Shotgun:

Yep

I've been cowboy action shooting 4.5 yrs now,still shooting same Uberti '73,same IAC 97,I started with New Vaquero's switched to older model now I'm back to New Models.

I also switch back & forth between oringinal Win 97 & IAC,but that IAC has thousands of rounds thru it & still very tight.

If'n I was a double guy it would probaly be a SKB.

The USFA Rodeo's are also great guns.

I also think Mernicle Leather is the best !

Regards AO

I've tried to analyze my post by size as well, guess I didn't post and accurate query. Thanks for your opinions though as well. It looks like thus far nine (9) folks did not mention calibur in their posts. As far as those that did, and this is approximate; one mentioned .44-40 and 32.30, otherwise it looks like this: 357/38 -- 8, .45 -- 5, SxS -- 3 and the 97's -- 3 interestingly balanced. Obviously the choices were heavily weighted 38's against the larger caliburs. In conclusion I would estimate the Ruger, the 73 and the 97 pretty much rules the choices, again just an estimate.

Thanks to all respondents. Have a Happy Safe New Year. Cobb

Archived