SASS Wire Forum

True Grit

Street Howitzer

Several of our club members went to the openning of True Grit last night and were blown away. I love John Wayne but, this new movie is by far IMO better. IF everyone goes in with and open mind you will not be disapointed. It is a great Christmas present to all of us who love westerns.

Street Howitzer

I agree 100%- no disrespect for the Duke, he has no bigger fan than I. But Mr. Bridges, with a different take on the character, has redefined Rooster for a new generation of film-goers. Virtually every role in the film was better in this version, especially Mattie and LaBoeuf (sp?). I will see this film again and again. No beef with those who prefer the John Wayne version, but IMHO the 2010 version is the better film.

The remake was a better movie the originial better entertainment. The remake was a little slower and left me wanting more. Also Mr. Bridges had an interesting pistol that held more than the standard 6 rounds perhaps we could get it approved for SASS.

Howdy Pards,

I haven't been in a movie theater in years. It's also been a while since I rented movies. So, I hope it makes it to "non-premium channel" TV soon.

Every now and then I watch and enjoy an old movie. However, acting, directing, editing, sound, special effects ... have progressed so much that a remake should be better unless the actors, directors, and editors are not so good.

So, I feel that it is no offence to John Wayne or his fans that a remake is better in many ways.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Howdy Pards,

I haven't been in a movie theater in years. It's also been a while since I rented movies. So, I hope it makes it to "non-premium channel" TV soon.

Every now and then I watch and enjoy an old movie. However, acting, directing, editing, sound, special effects ... have progressed so much that a remake should be better unless the actors, directors, and editors are not so good.

So, I feel that it is no offence to John Wayne or his fans that a remake is better in many ways.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Do yourself a favor and see it on the big screen. The gunfire sounds authentic for a change.

Howdy

I have not seen it yet, but I hope to soon. So...........does the Tom Chaney character still carry a Henry?

As an aside, TNN was running a bunch of JW movies last night. True Grit was one of them. I never noticed before that the Henry carried by Jeff Corey is unloaded. Yup, the follower tab was up all the way by the frame. I'm an expert on Henry rifles ya know.

TV & Movie Henry's are ALWAYS unloaded.

Then how did Kevin Costner shoot so many rounds out of his? I know they were blanks, but he sure as hell was shooting it in the close up scenes.

Several of our club members went to the openning of True Grit last night and were blown away. I love John Wayne but, this new movie is by far IMO better. IF everyone goes in with and open mind you will not be disapointed. It is a great Christmas present to all of us who love westerns.

Street Howitzer

+2

Aimless Jane & I went to see it this afternoon. There are very few movies I would pay to see again at the theatre. But this just happens to be one of them. Acting, costuming, dialogue, set design & locations couldn't be better. Would be very surprized if 14 year old Hailee Steinfield doesn't garner an Oscar for her performance as 14 year old Mattie Ross. In fact, IMHO, this movie just may be the top Oscar winner of the year. Bridges & Damon also out did themselves.

JW has no bigger fan than me. But I have to say that this True Grit is the better of the two. If you liked the first one, you'll love this one.

Judy "D" Fangpuller and I went to early showing last night. Came home and watched the John Wayne True Grit. We were both impressede the way this movie came across. all acting was SUPERB. Probably in my top five of all time westerns. (But the Duke still lives)

Howdy

Just got back from seeing True Grit. Man, I loved it.

A couple of things. Movie making has changed a great deal from when the John Wayne version was made in 1969. The JW version stands up just fine as a piece of 1969 movie making. I never much liked the Glen Campbell character, but the rest of the movie was fine. It was of course a great showpiece for the Duke. I seem to remember he said he would have worn an eye patch much earlier if he knew it would win him an Oscar.

I have not read the book, but my understanding is the new version of True Grit stays much closer to the original novel. That may be part of the reason it is different. I think I will put it on my reading list. The new version sure is grittier. But that is true of many movies made today.

Some of the dialog is identical. Interesting to see the way the dialog was delivered by the actors in two different eras. I loved the Mattie character. She was just annoying in the original, here she really shows she has 'sand'. But my favorite character of all was her horse, Little Blackie. I don't wanna give anything away, but I will say he brought tears to my eyes a couple of times.

Go see it, it is a great movie. Just don't pay for the popcorn, sheesh, do they charge too much for that now.

P.S., see it in a theater, don't wait for the DVD. ALL movies suffer when they are seen on the small screen. There is nothing like seeing them as they were meant to be seen, on the big screen in a movie house.

That's all for now, gotta make some popcorn, It's A Wonderful Life is on tonight, my favorite Christmas movie.

Watched it late last night and was very impressed. Excellent job by all but I agree Mattie's role stole the show! The only thing that bugged me during the movie was Jeff Bridges speech mannerisms. Kept reminding me of Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. I was expecting to hear him say "I like the way you talk, mmm hmmm"!! Y'all have a Merry CHRISTmas!

I have not read the book, but my understanding is the new version of True Grit stays much closer to the original novel. That may be part of the reason it is different. I think I will put it on my reading list. The new version sure is grittier. But that is true of many movies made today.

Driftwood, I highly recommend the book. It is one of my favorite reads and is absolutely my favorite Western.

Well I went last night to see the new True Grit...The night before JW version was on TV..SO I watched it again.Then the next night seeing the new version!!!

Glad it happened that way!!!

Of course it is based on the same book so I was not surprised to hear the same lines!!!

But there was a real difference in the Part of the Texas Ranger.

I love John Wayne, but never thought that Rooster was a good part for him. I didn't like Glen C. Ranger at all. But I loved the movie!!!

Now I will get a DVD of the old and keep it..and when the new one is available I will have that as well!!!

If I ever watch one I will always watch the other too!!!

Go see it and be glad they are still making westerns!!!!

I don't want to put too much on here about it, because I don't want to spoil it for anyone!!!

Gun fire did seem realistic though!!

KK

Saw the movie today. Mixed emotions. It was refreshing to see a more authentic portrayal of the old west, but Bridges' performance seemed forced, as if he was trying to be as different from JW as possible. The ending was a bit depressing, but probably closer to reality than the original movie was.

Watched it late last night and was very impressed. Excellent job by all but I agree Mattie's role stole the show! The only thing that bugged me during the movie was Jeff Bridges speech mannerisms. Kept reminding me of Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. I was expecting to hear him say "I like the way you talk, mmm hmmm"!! Y'all have a Merry CHRISTmas!

I belive ya- He' the main reason i'm in no hurry to see it-

Kin ya say OVERACTOR

He's like that Quade ? brother who played Doc with that disgustin little Costner in the movie Wyatt Earp :ph34r:

I went this evening and enjoyed this old west movie. Don't consider it a remake of the John Wayne movie, consider it a new version of the book. It was GREAT and a must see for all who love westerns. Also wore my range duds to the theater including my chaps, spurs, vest, badge, pocket watch, wild rag, and hat. This is a must see on the big screen, don't wait for the DVD.

My boy and I talked the girls into seeing it for our annual Christmas Eve movie. He's a big Coen Brothers fan, and I'm, well, a cowboy [wannabe]. We enjoyed it. Better film making, I think, than the original, better casting, especially Matte and LeBoeuf. I did prefer Jeff Corey, though, as Tom Chaney in the original. This has great visuals. Good movie, not great, IMHO, certainly worth the money.

Guest diablo slim shootist

I saw it at the afternoon movie for only $5.00 what a good deal

now if i can just get it on DVD so i can write down the dialog lines

for writing stages :P

Go see this movie! Go now, tomorrow at the latest.

What a story, what dialogue, what characters, what cinematography. WOW and Made in Texas to boot! This rendering is EPIC.

See it in the theater with friends.

Olen

Just got back from seeing it, and I'll have to throw my hat in with the folks that think it's better than the Wayne original!

BSD

Archived