SASS Wire Forum

Went to the movies tonight...

I must say that I could find no fault with this presentation.

Oh heck... it was great!! :FlagAm:

For those who claim that only the Duke could play the part, well, Bridges has redifined the role of Rooster Cogburn, and has done so quite well~! Actually, all the parts were well cast, in my not-so-humble opinion.

For those who are asking if it's okay for young kids, I'd not recommend it... it's pretty brutal.

And there are a few story variances from the book... but different from those with the Duke's movie.

Think I'm a-gonna go see it again!

I must say that I could find no fault with this presentation.

Oh heck... it was great!! :P

For those who claim that only the Duke could play the part, well, Bridges has redifined the role of Rooster Cogburn, and has done so quite well~! Actually, all the parts were well cast, in my not-so-humble opinion.

For those who are asking if it's okay for young kids, I'd not recommend it... it's pretty brutal.

And there are a few story variances from the book... but different from those with the Duke's movie.

Think I'm a-gonna go see it again!

Thanks for the update, I can't wait to see it on Sunday!! 3:10 to Yuma, I had rented the old one, and then saw the new one and I liked them both. I guess I just like westerns even when they change those in the leading roles. While John Wayne may have made True Grit his own it does not mean someone else can't too. Like a great song, it can have some great covers made of it too and you can enjoy all of them.

True Grit was on at the McCurtain Cinema, but I took the kids and grandkids to see Yogi Bear. :P

Actually, it was pretty good, and the first 3D movie I've seen since I was a littly bitty tyke back in the long time agos.

That 3D is about the coolest thing ever.

Well said, Deadwood! It'd be like tryin' to compare Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth... two different characters from two different times.

As far as Bridges' character... well, you could almost SMELL the man!

Saw it last night myself. Absolutely loved it. I think Barry Pepper had the "Lucky" Ned Pepper character nailed down perfectly. And I really enjoyed Jeff Bridges version of Rooster.

I'll not be getting rid of my DVD of the original, but I will be including a copy of the newest one into my collection.

Saw it last night myself. Absolutely loved it. I think Barry Pepper had the "Lucky" Ned Pepper character nailed down perfectly. And I really enjoyed Jeff Bridges version of Rooster.

I'll not be getting rid of my DVD of the original, but I will be including a copy of the newest one into my collection.

AMEN to that. A great film with fine performances and a tribute to the original!

I think Barry Pepper had the "Lucky" Ned Pepper character nailed down perfectly.

The thing that struck me is how well Barry Pepper nailed the cadence and diction of Robert Duvall! If you closed your eyes, you would SWEAR Duvall was recreating the role!

Loved him in The Green Mile and Saving Private Ryan. Here's his bio:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001608/bio

I absolutely loved the new version of True Grit. As I said on another thread over on the Wire, I thought using an old gospel song, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms, as the theme background music was a stroke of genius.

Also, the dandy Ranger LaBoeuf had the good taste to put the same set of grips on his Colt as I have on one of my revolvers. The grips are the Liberty Eagle grips from Buffalo Brothers. Makes me proud that to know that I'm so "period correct"!! ;)

Below are the pictures of my grips; the Liberty Eagle and Mexican Eagle in Ivory Antique...just like Ranger LaBoeuf's!! Sorry I can't find a photo of Range LaBoeuf's Colt.... So now y'all are just going to have to see the movie again and look for those Liberty Eagle grips in Ivory Antique! :FlagAm:

http://www.buffalobrothers.net/images/grip...imarron1-xl.jpg

http://www.buffalobrothers.net/images/grip...imarron2-xl.jpg

Those are downright sweet, Birdgun!

Plannin' on seein' the movie again tomorrow night (New Year's Eve). Think mebbe I'll wear my "outfit," sans iron, of course. :FlagAm:

Got to see it on Sunday with a few pards from the Merlin Marauders club. We all dressed in our cowboy duds and finery, a hit at the Moving Picture Showplace. Everyone loved it, actors were all great, this will be one to own!! After the movie we all went out to dinner to celebrate Sweetwater Jacks somthin somthin birthday( I think he shoots senior or more). Great time was had by all!!!

While I was down in Alabama for Christmas, me and my boy, Irish Jake, took my mom to see it. She is a huge John Wayne fan and was a bit hesitant to go. After the movie, I asked mom how she liked it, she said "Well, it was alright, but I love John Wayne." Just for reference my mom is 77 years old.

Me and Jake loved it. I also noticed something that I found a bit cheerful. We got there early and it was Monday night. I expected a smaller, older crowd. I was happy to see the theater mostly filled up, and I was pleasantly surprised to see than well over half the attendance were younger couples out on a date night I presume. I am hoping that this means that there is still some interest and we will continue to see new western movies come out.

Boondock

Archived