SASS Wire Forum

Are good shooters intimidating?

Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life

Many things can happen. A meteor could squash me at almost any minute of the day or night. Should I let that impact my life, naw not really.

A person could be indimidated by fast shooters. They could be intimidated by the presence of lady shooters. I would place as much importance on both of those things as the existence of meteors.

The thing cowboy shooting has going for it is not how fast or slow various shooters are but how danged friendly most all shooters are (excepting maybe when folks don't appreciate 30 round magazines ;-)

Very Best Regards,

BJT

the qesttion wrent about that neither

the anser is

they cud be

wolf bain said that

with years of resurch behing him

folks

why is this so difficult

it can happen

thats all ............... no contest

no winners

no losers

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing cowboy shooting has going for it is not how fast or slow various shooters are but how danged friendly most all shooters are Very Best Regards,

BJT

ding-ding--ding

finially, someone found a great answer

BJT, I have the utmost respect for good shooters

& even I try to be one of em:::::: me own self

when this post started

I felt it waz intimidating

folks went to defending

not

explianing how er why

thankyou

yer son has been one a the best danged friedly shooter I ever dunn knowed

I have met and shot with some of the best shooters in SASS. I learn something from every match I've participated in, not always from the "good shooters". With one exception, every "good shooter" I've met has been fun to shoot with.

I have met and shot with some of the best shooters in SASS. I learn something from every match I've participated in, not always from the "good shooters". With one exception, every "good shooter" I've met has been fun to shoot with.

yer right

but

I think you went to more than one shoot

I see the chance that some that

view

a shoot

only once

might, cud, see it different

that is all I am saying folks

geeeese

ding-ding--ding

yer son has been one a the best danged friedly shooter I ever dunn knowed

How true, Tha only time I'eva talked to him it was liked I was talking to the kid next door whom I'd known forever.

Mikey on tha udder hand was a typ yuppy type, stuck up and never smiled :FlagAm:;)

RRR

How true, Tha only time I'eva talked to him it was liked I was talking to the kid next door whom I'd known forever.

Mikey on tha udder hand was a typ yuppy type, stuck up and never smiled :FlagAm:;)

RRR

Red River Ray

Yer as fuuny as they come

I really enjoy that

Yer what most folks iz defending

Me to,

per haps I mis understood the original post

iffen a person visited a sass shoot only one time

then

I have seen, good shooter bee-in intim-adattin

geeese

even a tv producer said it can happen

geeeeser

I love ya man""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Friend, just so happens a feller named Mike (Tracker Mike) that is does our new shooter ornt. at Old north state posse said a few weeks ago tha it might be better if tha new guys an gals didn't see shooters at break neck speed on their first day trying tha sport. (right of wrong) I never made as much money as I wanted to this week and I'm still over weight so his thoughts never effected me in anyway, as good looks and high IQ always get me through. LOL

RRR

Yes I can see where a super fast shooter COULD intimidate a newby or a fairly new shooter. They would watch in awe and say to themselves, "Gee, I could never shoot that fast or that good." And as suggested, that COULD discourage them to quit and/or look for something else to do, where they felt capable of competeing with others.

However, that would never even concern me as I shoot CAS for FUN, and the personal satisfaction of just being a part of it. Having shot many disiplines through my life, I've had my place in the sun many times over, but now, that isn't very important anymore. Just being part of the game, and the fine folks that play alongside me is all the incentive I need to keep going. Old age and poor eyesight and slowed reflexes have taken the competitive edge away from me, but that doesn't keep me from liking the game and doesn't deter me from doing the best I can, and not worrying about my times. I do get much enjoyment out of shooting clean, and I do that a lot.

So yes, I do believe there is a great possibility of new shooters being intimidated by the really good shooters. However if the rest of us are doing our job, we can urge those new shooters along, help them where possible, and above all, let them know that with time and practice, they will do very well too and urge them to keep trying. Most of them will do just that.

RBK

Friend, just so happens a feller named Mike (Tracker Mike) that is does our new shooter ornt. at Old north state posse said a few weeks ago tha it might be better if tha new guys an gals didn't see shooters at break neck speed on their first day trying tha sport. (right of wrong) I never made as much money as I wanted to this week and I'm still over weight so his thoughts never effected me in anyway, as good looks and high IQ always get me through. LOL

RRR

scee

I tolt ya

U waz funny

&

a gud gye

The one type of person that I think watching the fastest SASS shooters could intimidate are those people who will only participate or compete in something if they are one of the best. Now, it would be silly for someone to think that they were going to just step in to something new and soon be at the top.

Years ago there was one guy we knew that was better than all of us at raquetball. But he would not do anything else with us, softball, basketball, golf, if he figured he wasn't going to win he wouldn't do it. It must have taken him some time to get good at raquetball, but once he had one thing he was good at, that was that, wouldn't try anything else. Smokin Gator

I like watching and learning from fast shooters. I remember my first shoot...it was a little intimidating, but fascinating. I actually was a wee bit faster back then. Now, I just compete with myself ;) , but I admit, there are a couple pards I would like to gain on :huh:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I got started because I saw the two fastest shooters on tv & thought that looks like fun,I think I'll try it.

Somebody mentioned grumps,I think grumps & especially grumps that dont know rules but think they do cause more folks to quit or stay away especially women & kids.

Most of the top guys I know are the friendliest most approachable folks around.

Regards AO

Ok.

Perhaps a new shooter could be intimidated by a fast shooter.

But as BJT said, couldn't that contact or viewing just as easily be an inspiration?

When I started this game, locally we had two or three top shooters.

Guys that I watched, and said wow (and yes, Madd Mike is one of them), but I did not let that intimidate me.

Being fast looked like fun - I wanted to be like that too.

Now locally, some years later, I'm one of the fast guys.

Without the inspiration of the fast guys - I'm not sure I would have tried as hard or stuck around as long.

Heee Haaa Gunner.. Who might that be.. ;)

I've been Lucky to meet Fireball, and he has taken the time to Teach and instruct me .. :FlagAm: I shoot with Duece , Lighting ,Doc Noper,Ketchum,KJ,and a lot of fast shooters. Everybody gives me pointers.and helpfull hints.. Its a Deffent NO I am not intimadated.. :D

Now My own self is intimadateing..I usually scare the be-juese out of any body I shoot against.. :huh:

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :huh::huh::huh:

I suck, I know it and do not practice or shoot enough to fix it. But I do have fun when I go to matches.

I am not intimidated by the fast folks, but marvel at the ones that can have most of their brass still in the air when the last round goes bang out of the rifle and the shot gunners that can hit two targets with two round that sound more like ba-bang as opposed to Bang..Bang. The good two handed pistol guys are just ridiculous. They shoot faster than a 1911 can function. WOW how do they do that? Much of it is talent but the majority is probably the same thing that gets one to Carnegie Hall the dreaded P word.

I might be in a good situation to answer this one. I'll be shooting a single action for the first time ever this Sunday. I'll be doing it as the guest of a multiple world champion. Will I be intimidated, you better believe it! Will I be incredibly excited and for sure learn a lot, better believe that too! What other sport could a noob like me have an opportunity like that? None that I know of. The champs should shoot like champs and the noobs like me should cowboy up and learn from them. I can hardly wait.

I might be in a good situation to answer this one. I'll be shooting a single action for the first time ever this Sunday. I'll be doing it as the guest of a multiple world champion. Will I be intimidated, you better believe it! Will I be incredibly excited and for sure learn a lot, better believe that too! What other sport could a noob like me have an opportunity like that? None that I know of. The champs should shoot like champs and the noobs like me should cowboy up and learn from them. I can hardly wait.

Capt'n, just be safe and have fun. There'll be many folks telling you stuff, you won't remember it all. Takes alot of time to learn all the things required.

LL'

Capt'n, just be safe and have fun. There'll be many folks telling you stuff, you won't remember it all. Takes alot of time to learn all the things required.

LL'

Capt'n

I agree with what LL told you.

People will be giving you all kinds of advice about how you should do this or that...

Don't expect to retain all of it....and in some cases one person's advice will contradict another's advice.

Don't let anyone run you off.

And some day soon it will all just "click" and things folks told you will suddenly be "second nature" to you.

Now Bad Hand ....you know you got me guessing

I know you aren't talking about me cause you said "good shooter"

and you know I strive to be fun to shoot with

I'm not gonna be fast and I don't want anyone to be irritated with me for being so slow so I try real hard to be fun.

....sooooo

if you won't tell me out in the open could you maybe give me a hint in a PM?

I have a real good idea of who you speak....

Is the "gentleman" ever on the wire?

Thanks Complicated and LL. I was talking to Easy Rider today about shootin tomorrow and I told him I plan to keep my mouth shut and my ears open!

You are already leaps and bounds ahead of where I was when I started about 6 years ago.

I had never shot guns....didn't know ANYTHING....they had to tell me every little thing.

I was soooo terrified of making a mistake or making someone say "send her home!"

I am finally at a point where I am understanding all of the stuff folks tried to tell me all at once at the beginning. I am still very slow.

I am proud of myself that I can now listen to the scenario, understand it easily, load my guns and shoot a stage.....with no fear.

I am no longer worried that I'm going to do anything to make anyone irritated with me. It still might happen but I'm not stressing over it.

I am one of those shooters that is only looking at my own improvement. I can't compete with anyone else yet but I can look at my scores from year to year and I am finally getting faster.

I had to get over the fear. Now I'm ready to get faster.

I think the trick is..... don't compare yourself to anyone else.

And give yourself credit for small improvements.

You are already leaps and bounds ahead of where I was when I started about 6 years ago.

I think the trick is..... don't compare yourself to anyone else.

And give yourself credit for small improvements.

I don't know about the being ahead of you part, but I agree 100% with the rest. I've been coaching for years now HS football and soccer and that's what I tell my players, as long as you leave the field a better player then when you came on it you've done right.

I know you aren't talking about me cause you said "good shooter"

and you know I strive to be fun to shoot with

I'm not gonna be fast and I don't want anyone to be irritated with me for being so slow so I try real hard to be fun.

I believe you are a good shooter CL. I don't even know you or have shot with you but, I am fairly confident that you are vastly superlior in the gun handling department, being safety conscience and have a much greater understanding of firearms/ammo and a whole bunch other things that Jane/Joe-Q-Public shooter. When it comes to shooting, you and all the SASS family are good shooters. Especially since we have to learn and master four guns of which three are different from each other. Generally speaking Trap/skeet shooters and other gun competions only have to learn one firearm. Hmmmm. :blush:

Blastmaster

Well, the first time is over and if he hadn't been as nice as he was I sure would have been intimidated. I know he's tons faster, like almost four times as fast, and i've got a lot of practice ahead of me. But boy was it fun.

I'm glad you had fun.

If you are like most of us, your head is probably spinning with information.

Exciting isn't it?!

Archived