SASS Wire Forum

Are good shooters intimidating?

Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life

I am not sure it needs fixin

just knowing it is possible

can be enough

that has ben my only po0int all along

Thanks all for your insights. Really wasn't looking to fix anything.

It just sounded on some other posts that the potential for scaring off a newbie was great enough that my question would be grist for the Wire mill to ponder.

1. We all know that the VAST majority of shooters in SASS (top guns and everyone else) are about the nicest folks around.

2. We all know the amount of work (read practice) it takes to be good at any skill and especially one like ours that involves multiple disciplines

3. I am pretty sure we all agree that someone who has worked their tail off to reach the pinnacle of their sport would be nuts to sandbag it. (regardless of reason)

4. It is my personal belief that anything worth having is worth working for and we all have our own reasons for playing the game and methods of working to achieve our goals

5. I think the Wire folks are all some that I would love to meet in person someday and share an adult beverage with. :FlagAm:

Remember the reason for the season!

Respectfully

:)

Gateway Kid

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ONe of my first shoots was with Lassiter five years ago.....he was very outgoing and helpful to this newbie

I went to my first major shoot at GOA and was excited to meet Widdowmaker Hill who has become one of my best pards.

I am fortunate to get to shoot on a fairly regular basis with Duece and a lot of other midwest top shooters. He like others has become a good friend and a joy to shoot with. He lets his shooting speak for itself and is nothing but helpful.

I don't think any were ever intimidating.....just amazing to watch and try to imulate.

Should they slow down....hell, no....would you slow down?

TOP SHOOTERS ARE AMBASSADORS TO OUR SPORT.

Thanks all for your insights. Really wasn't looking to fix anything.

It just sounded on some other posts that the potential for scaring off a newbie was great enough that my question would be grist for the Wire mill to ponder.

Remember the reason for the season!

Respectfully

Gateway Kid

it was a question worth pondering

I will go with Wolf Bain

he has some background, and a few decades behind him, to base his answer

on this very subject

I am sure some on the wire may have ben suprised, that it can happen

not need fixen,,,,heavon for bid,,not,,,,

but understanding, that it is possible

is gud

The answer to the question /problem is rather simple.

With all the fast talkers here and the great well thought out responses they have posted ,..I am just too intimidated to continue and offer my solution. It may be just too silly to mention,..not profound at all.

I stand amoung giants in this discussion, and all I come up with is idiotic stammering,...with a few tears, as I well up with emotion. I expect someone to call me a Jack Wagon before long, and throw a box of tissue at me.

I guess I'll just shutup and forget about it.

Pack

Hey Pack.....Naw, yer ok.....you live in Colorado, not "Nammby Pammby land" ......ya Jack Wagon!!!

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875
MM: but how do you know it was the speed and proficiency of those Top Shooters that made those prospective new shooters change their minds?

I was drawn into this game by a seasoned shooter, although he was relatively new to the game of CAS.

He attended 2 matches and stopped. Nope, it wasn't because of fast shooters, etc. He told me he didn't like big crowds. His prior perception of CAS was a handful of old timers using single action pistols and having a shooting contest. Once he realized the actual process of the game, he decided that he didn't want to stand around 4 hours on Saturday just to shoot about 3-4 minutes of actual trigger time. Yep, thats what he told me.

He was a retired LEO with service and combat in the Marines. He surely wasn't intimidated by fast shooters.

Anyhow, just wanted to add something from my personal experience also.

Hope you and yours have a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

..........Widder

Widder,

I've known a few people who felt simular to your friend. I have also known a few like those who Mad Mike's talking about who come out and then think they have to be a fast gun to participate. I've only personally known 4 people who have showed up and watched and never came back because they thought the game was out of their league.

They've told me so later. So thinking about them, I'm not going to be naive to think that there aren't more folks out there who showed up to check out a match and then thought to themselves that they wouldn't be able to "compete" because they'd never be able to shoot as fast.

I don't know what the average times are in SASS, but I'm sure I'm not the only slow shooter in SASS that just belongs to SASS for the fun and fellowship. :FlagAm:

A few times when a visitor interested in joining asks me if they have to be as fast to be in SASS? I always tell them to just have fun and shoot your own game and not care how others shoot theirs.

To you and yours, have a very Merry Chrsitmas!

Are good shooters intimidating? ...to others?

I'm usally having to much fun a pretending I'll a real cowboy that I don't notice them!

If'n the "better Shooters" are wanting any tips from me ... :)

I started this sport a year and a half ago. Lucky to shoot with Duece and a few others in that class. These guys make it FUN. They Help Motivate you. They teach you. I'd ask that they turn it up rather than tone it down! Come out and play with them and you'lle know what I mean. If you're speaking about State, Regional, and National Matches....they put on different faces, but don't we all.

I didn't shoot some shooting sports (combat type) because I was intimidated by what I saw. All I saw were amazing shooters on tv and I didn't think I would fit in. This was even with friends telling me that I could shoot very well. So it can happen.

A great advantage I see with SASS is the wide range of competition. I try to stress that with everyone because I experienced the intimidation. As Wolf Bane said, we have a sport/game that is open to all and has something for nearly everyone. And can be fun for all the shooters.

As many have stressed in this post, a key element to our success is the friendliness of all the shooters, including the top shooters. So it is interesting that we also have a thread going asking, "Is your club friendly?"

Guest talon macleod 29883
:FlagAm: The day I started I was introduced to a three time world champ duelist ,His future world champ wife( Macon Rounds, Lass Call).A four time world champ gunfighter(Easy Rider) and a National Champ (Single Action Jackson). I fumbled around for ten or so years and I consider them now as I considered them then.Friends.No fast shooters or fast talkers ,I,m not intimidated by anyone. Talon Macleod :)

Guest talon macleod 29883

One more thing though,As I told Maruader before and again last Sat. For ten years I would till my friend Dave would have a spell and I would do my best to take advantage of it. All the while watching from the corner of my eye to see that he was alright.As usual Dave laughed. Merry Christmas Maruader and Alice. Tal

Are good shooters intimidating? ...to others?

I'm usally having to much fun a pretending I'll a real cowboy that I don't notice them!

If'n the "better Shooters" are wanting any tips from me ... :)

.... then they can always ask huh! -_-

Now that's funny! :)

Merry Christmas Matthew!

:FlagAm:

twist

can good shooters be intimidating

me and one other say

cud bee

geeeeese

Merry Christmas

intimidation ment for non cr----------------

Mad Mike,

I don't know about being intimidated, but I have known a couple of above average shooters who were upset about our posse laughing and joking around to much. Most of us couldn't stop cracking up on the stages for some reason or another, and I guess we were screwing up their concentration before going to the Loading Table.

We ended up knocking it off some, but there was a new guy and his son on the posse who loved it.

I hate to see folks not try something all because there might be folks who are so good that it just puts them off from joining. My brother-in-law said my sister didn't join their Bowling League for all the same reasons. She was a bad bowler and didn't think she'd be accepted ... when in reality no one cared how she bowled.

It happens.

I hope that you and yours have a very Merry Christmas Mike!

Mad Mike,

I don't know about being intimidated, but I have known a couple of above average shooters who were upset about our posse laughing and joking around to much. Most of us couldn't stop cracking up on the stages for some reason or another, and I guess we were screwing up their concentration before going to the Loading Table.

We ended up knocking it off some, but there was a new guy and his son on the posse who loved it.

I hate to see folks not try something all because there might be folks who are so good that it just puts them off from joining. My brother-in-law said my sister didn't join their Bowling League for all the same reasons. She was a bad bowler and didn't think she'd be accepted ... when in reality no one cared how she bowled.

It happens.

I hope that you and yours have a very Merry Christmas Mike!

Wow! You must shoot in a horrible part of the country. Everywhere I shoot it's usually the top shooters doing all the joking around.

Wow! You must shoot in a horrible part of the country. Everywhere I shoot it's usually the top shooters doing all the joking around.

Wow! You read way too much into it.

Since scores and times don't impress me much, unlike where you're at I don't label who's having a good time and who's not. But the fact is that the two shooters that I'm thinking of are usually fairly grumby all the time anyways.

I guess you don't have grumpy people in your part of the country wherever that is. Lucky you!

Since scores and times don't impress me much, unlike where you're at I don't label who's having a good time and who's not. But the fact is that the two shooters that I'm thinking of are usually fairly grumby all the time anyways.

I guess you don't have grumpy people in your part of the country wherever that is. Lucky you!

Pretty defensive aren't you. I'm not reading in to anything. How can a shooter be grumpy when they are shooting? Evidently they don't work enough.

I've read this post all tha way, lets look at it from an uneducated view. I dont think there is an intimidating problem between tha top shooters an tha newly exposed.

Its kinda like X rated movies Tha so called stars have did it alot and are very good at what they do mainly because of practice! The newly exposed comes along for tha first time and he's not intimidated by tha stars, he just wants ta start practicing so he'll be better at it. What I'm a saying is when a man really wants ta do something there ain't much gonna turn him away from it. -_-:FlagAm:

RRR

Now this here is funny!

I've read this post all tha way, lets look at it from an uneducated view. I dont think there is an intimidating problem between tha top shooters an tha newly exposed.

Its kinda like X rated movies Tha so called stars have did it alot and are very good at what they do mainly because of practice! The newly exposed comes along for tha first time and he's not intimidated by tha stars, he just wants ta start practicing so he'll be better at it. What I'm a saying is when a man really wants ta do something there ain't much gonna turn him away from it. -_-:FlagAm:

RRR

See PC, here's where ya git into the communication problem.

Without going back and reading...

First ya say that these two shooters don't like the funin around cuz there are fast shooters...

Then ya go and say that they are just grumpy all the time...doesn't have anything to do with their abilities...

So it kinda throws folks off on what it is yer really trying to say...almost like you'll say multiple things to cover all your bases.

Confuzed...

Pretty defensive aren't you. I'm not reading in to anything. How can a shooter be grumpy when they are shooting? Evidently they don't work enough.

Sorry about that pard, I'm sort of still feeling gun shy in replying to anyone anymore. I've never known that I've had problems communicating before this last six months or so on here.

But pard, I agree. Like you. I don't understand it either. Heck, I'm never unhappy when I'm shooting. But you know as well as I do that there's always those who are just unhappy no matter what. And as for those two, I think they get a little frustrated and subsequently grumpy because they expect more from themselves. But I'm just guessing!

To you and yours, please have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

See PC, here's where ya git into the communication problem.

Without going back and reading...

First ya say that these two shooters don't like the funin around cuz there are fast shooters...

I never said that they "don't like the funin around cuz they are fast shooters". I said "I have known a couple of above average shooters who were upset about our posse laughing and joking around to much." And I certainly wouldn't say that either are "fast shooters," but I think they're both pretty much "above average shooters."

Then ya go and say that they are just grumpy all the time...doesn't have anything to do with their abilities...

Like I said, "I don't know about being intimidated" because I don't think they were. I really think part of them being on the grumpy side whenever I've seen them is that I really think they get a little frustrated with their preformance. But pard, I'm just guessing.

So it kinda throws folks off on what it is yer really trying to say...almost like you'll say multiple things to cover all your bases.

Sorry if I confuzed you pard, I hope that clears it up.

Confuzed...

And by the way,

I hope and pray that you and your family have a very Merry Chrismas and a very Happy New Year!

Semper Fi!

Paniolo

And by the way,

I hope and pray that you and your family have a very Merry Chrismas and a very Happy New Year!

Semper Fi!

Paniolo

:P

Didn't mean to make it sound like I was picking on you...dang...sometimes posting late in the evening really screws up MY ability to communicate.

I do think that grouchy, grumpy type folks are MORE intimidating then just about anybody.

Have a GREAT Christmas P.C.!

Phantom

:wacko:

Its kinda like X rated movies Tha so called stars have did it alot and are very good at what they do mainly because of practice! The newly exposed comes along for tha first time and he's not intimidated by tha stars, he just wants ta start practicing so he'll be better at it. What I'm a saying is when a man really wants ta do something there ain't much gonna turn him away from it. :wacko::P

RRR

Might as well erase the rest of this thread. Now I know how to take my shooting to a new level! :blink: Never again will I be intimidated hearing a SAA shot faster than a slide gun. It's all in the practice.

Newly single, I've been looking for the encouragement to ramp-up my gun handling skills since no one can tell me that the s/g shouldn't be staged on the kitchen table. Or that wearing chaps and a paiir of Colts and shooting bad guys on TV is bad for your image.

If I get a video should I post it to the SASS WAHR so's newbies can be inspired? :huh:

I started this sport a year and a half ago. Lucky to shoot with Duece and a few others in that class. These guys make it FUN. They Help Motivate you. They teach you. I'd ask that they turn it up rather than tone it down! Come out and play with them and you'lle know what I mean. If you're speaking about State, Regional, and National Matches....they put on different faces, but don't we all.

+1 Bad Brass

I'm a bit newer to CAS than Brass, and have always looked forward to every shoot. Lord

knows I have needed a ton of help getting my feet planted firmly and my head screwed on straight. The pards that have volunteered the most advice and assistance are the ones that

are making this sport happen. They are the backbone of CAS. Sure they shoot circles

around most of us, but they are also there when we have questions or problems or gun

issues. They perpetuate the sport and constantly promote it by being the best we have to

offer.

I'm proud to have been on Deuce's posse a few times. What an absolute BLAST. Fun is

only half a word for these guys. At least I have someone to blame for my misses......my

rythym goes south.....I can't even THINK that fast!!!!!!

Merry Christmas to all,

hOOt

• 4 weeks later...

No, good shooters aren't intimidating ... at least we don't try to be ... good being a relative term ... nor are the truly great ones. Over the past decade I've had the privilege to compete with most of the top shooters many on a monthly basis. From the get go it's obvious to all that these speedy few are on a different level. What's important is I was never made to feel that I was merely taking up space on the range, or that my presence and performance in anyway cheapened the event.

As Dirty Harry once said "A man's got to know his limitations". If I'm not constantly reminded and berated about them then I'm just fine.

What is the tendancy after you watch a good car race? Drive fast.

This may seem absurdly close to RRR's response but his example doesn't work for me. I remain permantly inspired!

I think inspiration is far more likely than intimidation.

Very Best Regards,

BJT

wow

the fast shooters hear

joke around tooooo, probaly more than new shooters

nope

its not probably

its true

the orginial post wernt about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the tendancy after you watch a good car race? Drive fast.

This may seem absurdly close to RRR's response but his example doesn't work for me. I remain permantly inspired!

I think inspiration is far more likely than intimidation.

Very Best Regards,

BJT

the qesttion wrent about that neither

the anser is

they cud be

wolf bain said that

with years of resurch behing him

folks

why is this so difficult

it can happen

thats all ............... no contest

no winners

no losers

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

Intimidated? Not since I learned to stand in just the right place and lean a knee into their thigh as they go by. Levels the playing field a bunch.

Archived