SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell re-sizing

Kiowa Kid, SASS #69870L

Howdy,

I have a MEC Jr and love it, but have always wondered, when it de-primes is it re-sizing the brass? Also does anybody who uses a MEC Jr, do you re-size seperately if so does it make a difference?

Thanks

KK

Howdy,

I have a MEC Jr and love it, but have always wondered, when it de-primes is it re-sizing the brass? Also does anybody who uses a MEC Jr, do you re-size seperately if so does it make a difference?

Thanks

KK

Hey KK. How are you and the awesome Painted Filly? (OK you are pretty awesome yourself, but she is prettier!)

Don't have a Mec Jr. I use a Sizemaster and it does resize the base. I use a SxS and it does make a difference. Broke a finger on the Sizemaster collet and had to wait for a part so a friend had loaded up some for me using a machine that did not resize. I had numerous shells that were really hard to shuck. Got my part, loaded up a couple boxes and those loaded on my Sizemaster - no problems. only difference was the resizer part on the Sizemaster.

Another pard uses the "Super Sizer" which is just the resizer part of the Sizemaster and has noticed considerably less "glitches" even though he shoots a 97.

We both use one of TL's case checkers and that provides an additional layer of confidence that the shells will perform as advertised.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS looking forward to seeing you guys at WR

Yes, it should have a resizing collar on the deprimer station

Resizing is important if you're loading hulls that have been fired in different guns. There are slight variations in chambers that affects how much the metal base will expand when fired. The result is a shell that shucks fine from a S x S might be a problem in a semi-auto shotgun if hasn't been resized. Resizing returns the metal base to the correct diameter so the shell can be used in any gun and will shuck more easily.

I collect AAs after our matches as many pards don't reload, so resize every hull every time. I use a Mec Super Sizer since my Mec 650 doesn't really have a functional resizer.

Kid,

The answer to your first question is a definite maybe. The lower portion of the depriming station can be adjusted down to resize the metal portion of the shell or up so as not to resize. If you want to resize adjust the ring down to almost touching the base at the bottom of the handle stroke. Run a couple of spent shells through the first station to insure a full stroke on the handle. Adjust accordingly and lock down with the jamb ring.

If the sizing ring is adjusted too far down, ie not a full handle stroke, it can affect your crimp on the final stage.

In answer to your second question, I resize with the first stage of my MEC jr because I often scrounge once fired hulls that other shooters have discarded at the unloading table, and have found no reason to resize separately.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Howdy

The sizing station on a MEC Jr works differently than the sizing station on most other MEC presses. This leads some to believe that the Jr does not resize the brass.

That is incorrect.

When you run a hull through the first station of the MEC Jr, you are shoving the brass through a collet of fixed diameter, which does indeed resize the brass. Take a look at the brass after you run it through the first station and you will see the marks left behind when it was sized. The MEC progressive presses use a different type of sizer. On those presses, the sizer has eight sections like the petals of a flower. Normally, the sections are spaced apart. When a hull is run though them, the eight sections squeeze together, resizing the brass.

As I said, the MEC Jr resizes brass just fine. At last count I have 8 shotguns: 3 pumps, one semi-auto, one O/U and three SXS. If my MEC Jr did not do a good enough job at resizing I think I would have discovered it by now. There is no need for a separate sizer if you have a MEC Jr.

I use a Super-Sizer and re-size all my Brass seperately then run them thru the MEC JR. My 97 has a tight chamber and with the steel based shells they seem to be harder to resize. I also resize all factory with the Super Sizer, again I have found variance in the base diameters. This seem to be more frequent with the high brass than the low brass bases.

I've used the Mec 600jr for almost 50 yrs. I have the auto primer feed on it. And Yes it has a ring sizer at the depriming station. I also have a Mec Super Sizer (Collet type sizer). In most cases, the Jr does a good enough job... but every once and while I get on a kick and use the Super Sizer... it takes the brass down another few thousands, right back to EXACTLY what the new Shot Shells measure. Difference... ????????????

After all of these years, I'm moving to a progressive unit.... time will tell if it is a good move. As for reliablity and versatility, I don't think that anything can beat a Mec 600 jr.

Snakebite

Archived