SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Ranch Hand

Pancho Peacemaker

First, I'm just looking for opinions on the Rossi Ranch Hand's quality.

I don't want to start a debate regarding their place or legality in CAS.

I'm thinking about getting one just 'cause they look like a fun toy & I'm a huge Steve McQueen fan. I don't plan on competing with it at any level.

Is the Ranch Hand worth the $500 price tag? Is the action typical Rossi quality?

Thanks,

Pancho

First, I'm just looking for opinions on the Rossi Ranch Hand's quality.

I don't want to start a debate regarding their place or legality in CAS.

I'm thinking about getting one just 'cause they look like a fun toy & I'm a huge Steve McQueen fan. I don't plan on competing with it at any level.

Is the Ranch Hand worth the $500 price tag? Is the action typical Rossi quality?

Thanks,

Pancho

Years ago up until about 2000 Rossi was known for their very stiff 92 rifles. Some were so stiff you had to open them over your knee like a stiff SXS. But, price wise they were a cheap entry level gun for CAS. In order to keep the price down rossi didn't bother fitting the parts well. They relied on the heavy springs to make the gun work. This was a tremendous savings in man-hours. About, 2000 Rossi upgraded all of there machinery to CNC computer controled. Since the upgrades allowed for a more precisely made part Rossi then started using light springs so the gun now feel much better out of the box. They still use some heavy springs in some areas because the heavy sring allow for faster machining speeds. A good example is the extractors. These are pinned to the bolt then the top of the bolt is shaped. If the extractors were thinner/lighter they would warp because of the heat generated. The Ejector spring aren't as heavy as they used to be but can still be felt as you close the actions. All of these issues are easily correctted with some additional hand fitting.

As for the Ranch hand, it's the same action as the long guns so the issues are pretty much the same. There have been some Ranch hands in country but most went to gun writer. I'm currently waiting on one that will be for an article in GOTOW.

There have been several for sale locally.

Including at the Amarillo gun show coupla weeks ago.

Price was way more better than previous iterations of the fabled "Mare's Leg".

I want one to tote acrosst me chest or hung down to the side on a cavalry carbine sling... :unsure:

After reading the gunblast review yesterday, I went looking and found more than a few, most in .44mag on gunbroker, $400 to $600. While I would enjoy having one, I would want the barrel and stock to be closer in length to the "original" from the show. Yes I understand it wouldn't hold many cartridges at that length, but if you are going to do it, then do it to match the show's gun. Not sure I will get one, but I definitely want one!

Pancho, I believe it would be worth it, especially being a fan of Mcqueen, but you would HAVE TO BRING IT OUT to a shoot and let fellow club members take a gander. Someday maybe it will be a side match type deal

Pancho, I believe it would be worth it, especially being a fan of Mcqueen, but you would HAVE TO BRING IT OUT to a shoot and let fellow club members take a gander. Someday maybe it will be a side match type deal

If these are considered a pistol, could you cut down a 92 rifle to look like one and have it be legal? I'm sure it will be a while before any used ones will be offered at a "good deal", but you can get a deal on 92's quite often.

If these are considered a pistol, could you cut down a 92 rifle to look like one and have it be legal? I'm sure it will be a while before any used ones will be offered at a "good deal", but you can get a deal on 92's quite often.

As long as you follow BATF regulations and pay the tax stamp and do the appropriate paperwork..

Doc

If these are considered a pistol, could you cut down a 92 rifle to look like one and have it be legal?

BATF calls that an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle). Without the proper paperwork, inspection, and stamp tax, cutting down a rifle like that will get you 5 years in a Federal Pen.

Rossi is building these Ranch Hands off of 92 receivers that were registered as a handgun at the time of manufacture.

Here recently I had a discussion with Jim Buchanan about the Rossi made Mareslegs. The reason JB customs is suing Taurus is because some years before Taurus acquired Rossi he did the development work and had Rossi make these for JB customs under an agreement with Rossi that he had exclusive rights to this JB Customs developed/Rossi made gun.

But, Rossi was acquired by Taurus and in doing so, JB customs position is Taurus acquired the agreement as well.

For what it's worth, there were two different Mareslegs used by McQueen for the Bounty Hunter series. Neither the Rossi/Taurus version nor the JB customs/Rossi version come close to replicating the originals. For those that say he co-opted the design just don’t understand what it takes to develop a version that still complies with all the import rules but still keep cost down. Jim did that and he should be compensated for it.

I saw one sitting on a table at The Nation's Gun Show last November.

I picked it up and aimed it at a distant part of the ceiling.

Suddenly a smiling vendor approached me and softly said "That one is sold."

Behind him was a larger, smiling customer in a suit.

Just that quick, I handed it over and watched it go back into it's box, then out the door.

I think the price tag hanging on it said $599 or $575 or something.

Well, BSD,

It certainly doesn't apply to mine. I recently bought an EMF Hartford 1892 .45 short rifle from Phil Rezac and other than using a lighter hammer spring & ejector spring, the rifle performs faultlessly. I'm very happy with it.

CAB

Does the old saying "There are 2 types of Rossi's, fixed and waiting to be fixed" apply to this one?

BSD

Just got back from local gun shop and handled one of these with the short butstock. Cycled it a few times and action seemed pretty smooth. It was so short would be awkward to shoot seems to me. It was .357 and priced at $420.00.

I think he said it held seven rounds in the tube.

• 5 weeks later...

Just got back from local gun shop and handled one of these with the short butstock. Cycled it a few times and action seemed pretty smooth. It was so short would be awkward to shoot seems to me. It was .357 and priced at $420.00.

I think he said it held seven rounds in the tube.

The key is whether it will cycle smoothly with ammo in it. The bumps tend to show up cycling ammo.

I am too cybernetically illiterate to do the link thing.

I read it on either the Michael Bane blog or the No Lawyers Only Guns and Money blog in the wee hours this morning. Then I conked out.

Edit Update--hold the phone. It was MB's blog. Went back and read it again now that I am semi-awake. He is talking about the 28 gauge Raging Judge revolver and the 410 Ranch Hand only apparently. Not the 357, 44, and 45 versions. Sorry about that. Says ATF is also expected to move against the Saiga detachable mag shotguns and re-classify them as destructive devices. I can see them trying to ban 870s,etc yes even our beloved 97s if we are not vigilant.

Hey Pards

I have One, Well, Had one, Shoots well, Jams alot, I sent Back for

repair. Rossi has had it since 1-4-11. Called four times,last time, said

waiting to be repaired, turn around time 2-3 weeks. I don't they Know

What to do or How !! This one is a 38/357 they Both Jam alot !!

Shady Bill

Gun Blast Review of the Rossi Ranch Hand.

Ain't my cuppa tea, but enjoy!

These Rossi Ranch Hand rifles are great. I just sold a custom fit lever wrap for one. I think these rifles will be a big hit. The quality seemed to be all there. Thumbs up from this ol' cowpoke.

Roy

Rossi was planning on doing something that looked like the Ranch Hand but is chambered in .410. Probably 2.5" shells, and held only three in the tube.

THAT is the gun BATFE is beefing about, not the versions in 357/44/45. Those are still a "go" as are the Italian variants.

BATFE is also putting the squish on the planned Taurus 28ga version of the "Judge", and is rumored to be planning a crackdown on the Saigas as being "not sporting use".

There are rumors of a major, MAJOR scandal brewing on the part of BATFE. If said rumors are true it'll be a "heads are gonna roll" situation as they appear to have tried a political trick that got a US cop killed. While there's no proof yet, people with some credibility such as David Codrea say that whistleblowers from within BATFE are lined up and ready to talk if they can get attention high enough up.

Speculation is that BATFE is on a rampage trying to prove they are useful for something before the hammer falls on that scandal. If this is all connected, and the timing is damned suspicious, BATFE could be looking for other quick and easy scalps right about now.

It's a pistol Roy not a rifle. Except for the 410 which is a shotgun. Never was a rifle. Never can be a rifle. Built from scratch to be a pistol, not cut down from a rifle.

L I B guess you'd be right on that un, but maybe I thin you know what I meant.

Roy

• 4 weeks later...

Mine's in 44. Holds 6 magnums in the tube, 7 specials. I put a couple boxes of my cowboy loads through it, just yesterday. Function with the magnums was flawless, hung up once or twice when I tried to go FAST with the specials.

I'm still grinning.

Archived