SASS Wire Forum

Hey BMC

Well now

The fishing was good , BUT , the catchin was not so good.

Had a cold front come in ahead of schedule .

Found lots of bait on the graph with fish around them

But they had lock jaw

I guess I will have to go shootin tommarow to make up for it .

Still better than w##k

See ya down the trail

Chickasaw Bill

well tha caption sed "Dry Falls, Washington

At the end of the last ice age, Dry Falls,

in Eastern Washington's Lower Grand Coulee,

is believed to have been the world's largest waterfall.

Didja take any pitchers at tha end of tha last ice age? :FlagAm:

Guest Copper Mart
Dry Falls opening day!

Not a bad idea. I may have to do that myownself. Either that or Coffee Pot. I got those Coffee Pot fish trained. Green leeches.

Guys

What do ya meen opening day ? We fish 24/7/365 ,iffen I want to go fishin' I tie on to the boat and go .

Or I can drive over below the dam and get out my fly rod to catch trout 24/7/365.

I ain't sure about not fishin if I want to , seems WRONG to me .

Around here a olive or black wollybuger does a fine job for trout

One in chartruse works well for white bass in the spring when they are running

See ya on the river

Chickasaw

Guys

What do ya meen opening day ? We fish 24/7/365 ,iffen I want to go fishin' I tie on to the boat and go .

Or I can drive over below the dam and get out my fly rod to catch trout 24/7/365.

I ain't sure about not fishin if I want to , seems WRONG to me .

Around here a olive or black wollybuger does a fine job for trout

One in chartruse works well for white bass in the spring when they are running

See ya on the river

Chickasaw

Chicks ya'll do.. lol... I went out on Lake Springfield with a canoe and ended up being blown out about 30 feet, it took me a week to get back in.. lol.. Okay, fine I made it up.. it took 30 minutes and my arms were worn out.. lol Fd gave up I think on canoe trips after that.. lol

Bill, the State of Washington operates on a dual fishery. Actually there are three fisheries. The salt is one, the rivers, streams and beaver ponds are the second and the third is the lakes.

The WDFW (Game Dept) puts out a pamphlet with 147 pages including advertising. Not much advertising.

Each division has sub regs. Salmon are different than bottom fish, trout and steelhead are different from spiney rays, etc.

Some lakes are open year round, some lakes are open certain times and some never open. Streams usually open the first of June and close at the end of October. Again, some never open and others have a year round schedule depending on species.

You need to be a Philadelphia lawyer and a die hard fisher to fish here.

Guest Copper Mart
What is up with the Eastern Washington trout and green leaches. Best fly in the box over there.

Maybe I will see you there. Share my thermos if I do.

Coffee Pot opens 1 March. As soon as the ice is gone I'll be there. Maybe I can talk the boat (partner) into Dry Falls in April. We usually camp for several days or a week when we go.

Most of the seasons are there to protect adronomous fish - the ones that swim out in the salt chuck and return several years later. The escapement gets worse every year because the gumint decided sea lions and seal should be protected and they eat their weight in salmon and steelhead almost daily. Fortunately the same idjets protect the killer whales and they eat a few seals and small sea lions. They do prefer salmon though. Then we let the indians net fifty percent of the returning fish. The environment cannot support that for long.

Guys

Our regs are getting about as bad BUT not to that extreme yet . The hunting regs are that bad a couple of years ago I was not sure if it was legal to hunt or not . Finaly they took out most of the crazy wording or I just lost my mind and figured out what they ment .

I have been doing a lot of PT to get back behind the bow again , we can use crossbows , I have one but do not like it .

The truth be told I love to hunt but I will not take a critter unless I need the meat .

At dawn this am I was watching a couple of does eating in the little field by the house Real pretty to watch while having a cup .

You mentioned a green leach , is that a Zonker strip that you are using? Zonkers work down here pretty well in clear water .

I like a little color to the water unless I am sight fishing . A brown zonker does a good job as a crawdad imitation .

Good fishing to you and Willie .

Be sure to take your net when ya go to the FISH MARKET . loll

Chickasaw

You don't need a net at the Pike Place Market. They will throw you a salmon to "CATCH". Big with the tourist.

I tie my leach patterns with marabou feathers and fuzzy yarn. I have never used bunny fur or strips except for the hare's mask for gold rib hare's ear patterns. Purple is the big color right now for the steelhead fishers. Rivers run murky this time of year and thru spring run off. Summer river flies are more traditional bugs. I also use the marabou for my damsel fly patterns. Been wanting to try some arctic fox fur for a leach pattern. Have not done so yet.

Will try one that I came up with to look like a maggot larve. Just white wool yarn with a black rib and black thread head. Tied on a scud hook about size 10. Might catch something besides trout, but would be fun to try it out.

BMC

SOme years back I tied some bunny strips kinda like a texas rigged plastic worm , about 3 1/2 in down to an in or so . I ran the hook up through the hide and made it kinda weedless in the hair side . I caught a lot of fish on them , did them in saveral colors , Small one in white were relly good on fish crashing bait on the surface . It might be something that will get a look becuase they have never seen it before . Just a wild idea , might work and then again might not .

CB

Thought I would update my Steelhead gear so I can get a lesson from Badger. Went to the sporting goods store to take advantage of their half price sale. Well, it lived up to it's advertising. Bought a pair of hip waders and when I got home, I discovered I only had one boot.

Badger said it was okay, I could just hop along the river with the one boot.

Archived