SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Side by Side not firing both barrells

Poppy

So at my last match I had some problems with the second barrell not firing. I could take shell out of left side put in the right side and fire. My question is... can this happen if you don't shut it up solid or hard enough after loading it... I have not had a chance to go try this out yet, just wondering if anyone knew, cause it has never happened before.

New gun with a "Gunslinger" Slickered up job

Maybe 200 rounds shot through it

Thanks in advance for the comments and thoughts

Depending on what constitutes your "Gunslinger" Slickered up job" what can happen is that when you fire the right barrel the gun partially unlocks if the lever spring is to light. The locking bar on the Stoeger is held shut solely by spring pressure. When you fire it with a heavy load or with a light spring or a combination thereof, the locking bar moves to the rear because of inertia and partially unlocks the barrels which can result in a light hit on the primer. Try Featherlights to see if it operates with a shell with less recoil. You can also try putting a washer or two under the spring to increase tension and see if that helps. Common problem with Stoegers.

Does it do that every time or just once in a while? If the opening lever spring has been lightened too much then the first shot's recoil can cause the gun to partially open, resulting in a misfire. To check for that, the next time it happens, open the action, then close it and see if it fires.

I would send it back to Gunslinger, let him know what it's doing.

It is a double trigger

I have tried opening and shutting again and still no fire

I do shoot Winchester AA featherlites.

Wonder if it would make a difference if I shot the left barrell/ back trigger first then the other???

I had that problem with my stoger and found the safety would click part way back on under recoil. After you shoot the first barrel, reach up and push the safety forward. If that works, then you know what the problem is. It's up to you how to fix it, but on a competition shotgun I found a safety unnecessary. I know a lot of people are gonna jump on me for that as a "safety hazard" but I only put shells in it on the line anyway so what ever.

It is a double trigger

I have tried opening and shutting again and still no fire

I do shoot Winchester AA featherlites.

Wonder if it would make a difference if I shot the left barrell/ back trigger first then the other???

That's what I was going to suggest. Shoot the left barrel first and see if the problem jumps to the right one. If so, you can rule out and firing pin or trigger issue. Then you can put the stock spring back in to see if that fixes the problem.

Loose firing pin nuts are a problem with Stogers. Look where the firing pin comes thru the reciever and you should see a nut with 3 small holes in it. The holes are for a tool. Take a couple small drill bits that will fit in the holes and use a screwdriver between them to tighten the nut. The nut should be flush and tight. If not it can cause that barrel not to fire.

Good luck

McKenzie

If you have had work done by a reputable gunsmith, take it back and let him address it. Your problem could be one of several, as Pettifogger said. Light lever spring, light hammer spring, perhaps a burr somewheres that has developed, loose firing pin bushings, cruddy firing pin bushings, firing pins that are deforming, all would cause the problem you describe.

Is it a single trigger, or two trigger model? Makes a difference in trying to make a diagnosis.

Explain just how 1 or 2 triggers would make any difference. If both hammers are falling when they are supposed to, the number of triggers is mute.

Gun unlocking is the most likely cause, and if the Factory firing pins haven't been replaced with the harder Longhunter pins, one of the pins could be mushrooming and failing to strike the primer properly.

Make sure the pins have been replaced, and as suggested, add a washer or two to the locking lever spring to increase the tension. This is easy to do. Then if problem persists, I would then send it back to Gunslinger. He can figure it out and correct the problem.

RBK

Loose firing pin nuts are a problem with Stogers. Look where the firing pin comes thru the reciever and you should see a nut with 3 small holes in it. The holes are for a tool. Take a couple small drill bits that will fit in the holes and use a screwdriver between them to tighten the nut. The nut should be flush and tight. If not it can cause that barrel not to fire.

Good luck

McKenzie

zactly +1

Explain just how 1 or 2 triggers would make any difference. If both hammers are falling when they are supposed to, the number of triggers is mute.

Gun unlocking is the most likely cause, and if the Factory firing pins haven't been replaced with the harder Longhunter pins, one of the pins could be mushrooming and failing to strike the primer properly.

Make sure the pins have been replaced, and as suggested, add a washer or two to the locking lever spring to increase the tension. This is easy to do. Then if problem persists, I would then send it back to Gunslinger. He can figure it out and correct the problem.

RBK

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, PUT LONGHUNTER PINS IN AND PROBLEM WAS SOLVED.

Good luck

McKenzie

zactly +1

Sounds like I have some darn good advice to figure this out.... I leaning towards the safety issue because the first will fire and then just sometimes the second will fail and only sometimes. Thanks

Sounds like I have some darn good advice to figure this out.... I leaning towards the safety issue because the first will fire and then just sometimes the second will fail and only sometimes. Thanks

When the problem occurs, does the second trigger pull and release the hammer (click but no bang)? The safety would block the trigger from pulling at all.

Explain just how 1 or 2 triggers would make any difference. If both hammers are falling when they are supposed to, the number of triggers is mute. RBK

This was discussed in a thread a few months ago. On the single trigger Stoegers the recoil from the first shot resets the mechanism so you can fire the second. Insufficient recoil caused by light loads or too much rocking back on the first shot sometimes prevents the internals from resetting.

This is a documented problem with the SxS models, as well as their O/U Condor shotguns.

It has nothing to do with the triggers' inability to speak.

This was discussed in a thread a few months ago. On the single trigger Stoegers the recoil from the first shot resets the mechanism so you can fire the second. Insufficient recoil caused by light loads or too much rocking back on the first shot sometimes prevents the internals from resetting.

This is a documented problem with the SxS models, as well as their O/U Condor shotguns.

Stoeger single trigger doubles are mechanical not inertia. Recoil from the first shot does not reset anything.

Stoeger triggers are mechanical. You're describing inertia triggers found on SKB's and such.

BSS's are mechanical, SKB's are inertial.

Sounds like a to lightened main spring. Stoegers main springs are light to start with and any smithing to lighten them

can cause them not to impact the primer with enough force to set it off.

Gunslinger has already PM'd me... I could not be happier with the the work he did on my stuff... it is top notch and i knew he could fix it, I was just trying to see if it was something I could do first.

When I called Stoeger they told me they used an inertia system on the SxS. Reckon they don't know what they're talking about.

They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble if they'd have just copied the system used in the old Fox shotguns. Now that was reliable.

When I called Stoeger they told me they used an inertia system on the SxS. Reckon they don't know what they're talking about.

They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble if they'd have just copied the system used in the old Fox shotguns. Now that was reliable.

Woodrow,

Like so often happens these days, whoever answered your call/question, probably didn't have a clue. Then again it's quite possible that some models of Stoegers do indeed have inertia driven trigger systems. Their guns are made all over the World, and it's very reasonable to assume that some of them indeed do have inertia driven systems. Whoever you talked to didn't know the difference.

Their Coach Guns however, (Made in Brazil), have mechanical triggers. Many people seem to want to give their single trigger models a bad name, which is un-deserved, to say the least. The only problem with them is DO-IT-YOURSELF Kitchen Table Gunsmithing. This can lead to many things not functioning correctly, including Doubling. Properly gunsmithed, by knowledgeable people, will lead to a very satisfactory fuctioning shotgun, that is a pleasure to shoot.

RBK

Rio - sorry if I seemed a bit out of sorts with my previous post. Sad but true, customer service ain't what it used to be, and the people on the phones aren't as knowledgeable about the product line anymore. Coupled with multiple global vendors of varying quality, and anything can happen.

Archived