SASS Wire Forum

New Navy Colt Conversion Troubles

mike455eley

I recently purchased a used 1861 Navy Colt Conversion that I am told was made by Armi San Marco (.38 Special). After shooting 20 or so rounds, I started getting misfires. The cartridge primer was struck but not deeply. After inspection and two visits to local gunsmiths, I was told the firing pin was worn and the only reason it fired was because I held the pistol up before firing and the cartridge fell back toward the pin. I have exhausted sources for a new firing pin and hoped that someone in SASS could provide a source of this part.

Unfortunately, there are NO parts available for Armi San Marco Conversions, unless you find one dirt cheap for a parts gun. Even if you find a "parts gun" you'll find for the most part, ASM parts from one gun, don't fit any other ASM gun. They were crap.

Now, an 1861 ASM Conversion had a spacer that sort of imitated a gas ring (not really) between the cylinder face and the back of the Barrel frame. This spacer established end shake in the '61 Conversion. Do you have this little spacer?? Look at the front face of the cylinder if there is no spacer, you'll be looking for a little rebate (recess) in the front face at the arbor hole for the spacer to fit into. If the spacer is missing, your end shake is all over the place with the cylinder moving front to back. With the spacer, the end shake should be about .002.

There are other potential problems with an ASM Conversion you will need to address, but first things first. I seriously doubt your firing pin is worn. No one has ever been able to run enough ammo thru an ASM Conversion to wear out the firing pin. Seriously. You may need to replace the firing pin return spring with a lighter one, but again, first things first.

Coffinmaker

Howdy one of the big problems with ASM guns is they are no longer in business and sourcing parts is a problem. If VTI http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/ Isn't able to help you,I would look for a gun smith to make one for you. I have done the same in the past for a couple of guns. Good Luck Sgt. Jake

Had some, still have one. Does yours have a screw in the back of the hammer? That adjusts the hammer strike, as to how deep it hits the firing pin. Look and see if that is there, if so, screw it in a little at a time until the pin protrudes far enough. Then put a little locktite to hold it in place as it will try and back out while shooting.

Had some, still have one. Does yours have a screw in the back of the hammer? That adjusts the hammer strike, as to how deep it hits the firing pin. Look and see if that is there, if so, screw it in a little at a time until the pin protrudes far enough. Then put a little locktite to hold it in place as it will try and back out while shooting.

Thanks for the advice.

There is a screw on the hammer and I turned it one quarter to bring the firing pin closer to the cartridge. I have not test fired it yet.

There is no spacer on the face of the cylinder. That seems like it would help the situation. It will move the cylinder back towards the firing pin. That will also increase the distance between the cylinder face and the barrel. Could that give me an additional problem?

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

Do what Goody said, except don't use the lock tite just yet.

If your problem goes away and it works fine, locktite [blue]and don't worry about it. If the firing pin pokes a hole in the primer now, back off and try again.

If you still have problems take it to someone who smiths conversions and cap and ball revolvers.

I don't do modern stuff and most smiths don't do the old stuff. Very few work on conversions and C&B much. It's just like picking the right doctor.

Give your location and you might get some references you don't have to ship to.

Joe

If you do NOT have a spacer and there is no rebate in the front face of the cylinder, you have what ASM called an 1860. It isn't really an 1860 and was built on the same frame as the 1861. The cylinder will move quite a bit front to back.

The main spring in an ASM Conversion was ........... light. Usually too light. It may/will need to be replaced. I would suggest VTI gunparts for their reduced power main spring replacement.

There is a striker built into the hammer that contacts the firing pin. You want that striker to be flush with the front face of the hammer or to protrude just a couple of thou. Adjust the screw thru the hammer accordingly.

If you have a spacer made and move the cylinder back for correct head space, the barrel/cylinder gap may change, but not enough to be a problem. If you are having a spacer made, there is some machine work that needs to be done to the rear of the barrel to clear the spacer. At the same time, the Arbor fit into the barrel needs to be corrected.

You may have figured out, there can be an awful lot of work to make an ASM conversion work (correctly).

Coffinmaker

• 5 weeks later...

I recently purchased a used 1861 Navy Colt Conversion that I am told was made by Armi San Marco (.38 Special). After shooting 20 or so rounds, I started getting misfires. The cartridge primer was struck but not deeply. After inspection and two visits to local gunsmiths, I was told the firing pin was worn and the only reason it fired was because I held the pistol up before firing and the cartridge fell back toward the pin. I have exhausted sources for a new firing pin and hoped that someone in SASS could provide a source of this part.

In regard to this problem with the 1861 Colt conversion, I was able to get a gunsmith in Sarasota, Florida to fix the misfire problem. The takedown pin (wedge) was too small and allowed too much cylinder slop. He welded a shim to the side of the wedge and fit to correct tolerances between conversion ring, cylinder and barrel. His shop is J.M. Gun Repair @ 941+756-9716 (James) and of course, I recommend him. Thanks to all for your comments and advice. mike 455eley

Archived