SASS Wire Forum

CLASSIC COWBOY SHOOTIST AWARD 1st ANNUAL 2010

Brother King, SASS #69031

As elected Chairman of the Classic Cowboy Shootist Award committee, I am pleased to announce the election of T-Bone Dooley as the first recipient of the SHOOTIST AWARD for excellence in the tradition of shooting Classic Cowboy.

The committee is made up of the following seven appointed and elected members in no particular order:

Texas Ghost; Needmore Gunz; Cowhand; Dragon Hill Dave; Vance Montana; T-Bone Dooley and me, Brother King

With T-Bone in abstention for this vote, the Board of Directors has voted unanimously to select T-Bone Dooley as the 2010 recipient of the all- new Annual "SHOOTIST" award for excellence in the tradition, competition, camaraderie and fellowship of shooting Classic Cowboy.

The name "SHOOTIST" was selected based on 1) it's association with the most Classic Cowboy of all....John Wayne. From the movie, "The Shootist" his last and during which he was facing his own death by living a magnificent life and 2) it was the original SASS name for Classic Cowboy.

The SHOOTIST AWARD Committee of SEVEN members of the Board of Directors has adopted the following as our MISSION STATEMENT from Texas Ghost:I keep going back to what John Wayne (as John Bernard Books) said to Gillom Rogers (Ron Howard) when he was giving him a shooting lesson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gillom Rogers: Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.

John Bernard Books: First of all, friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Classic Cowboys have to be "willing" to be a good examples of CAS, willing to help others enjoy the game, willing to dress and play the part, willing to share the knowledge they have gained, willing to set high standards of moral and ethics, and willing to encourage others to shoot Classic Cowboy.

This means that you can win the World Championship at EOT or come in last place in State, and still be eligible to be honored as a “Classic Cowboy Shootist”. Ya just have ta be Willin'.

In our view as a Board of Directors there is no one more "WILLIN'" than the 2010 SHOOTIST, T- Bone Dooley.

In part, the Board of 7 considered his domination of the category Classic Cowboy:

World Champion-Classic Cowboy.2004,'05,'06,'07,'08,'09

National Champion-Classic Cowboy 2005,'06,'07,'08,'09,'10

But then it was more than that, it was a WILLINGness to share what he knows with his friends, all SASS competitors and new shooters as well. In T-Bone's own words, "I'd rather help a friend be a champion than be a champion with no friends."

Consider that T-Bone's Dooley's home range on his ranch in English, TX, The Badlands Bar 3 had 17 of 24 Champions at the 2009 Winter Range National Championship. Further, the Badlands Bar 3 and T-Bone Dooley host the SASS Southwest Regional "Comin' At Cha". One of the most popular shoots in the US, Comin' At Cha is sold out months in advance. Has T-Bone's drive to be the best slowed? "NO"! Even now the Badland Bar 3 is building a new Mounted Shooting facility and Classic Cowboy T-Bone Dooley is training a new horse, too. T-Bone may also be found shooting the new "OUTLAW" category where and when it may be offered.

We, the Board of Directors of the Classic Cowboy Shootist Award Committee are sure that T-Bone Dooley has just begun to win and to contribute to the sport of cowboy action shooting and SASS Classic Cowboy category. We hope you will join us in congratulating the first SHOOTIST and the recipient of the 2010 SHOOTIST AWARD for excellence in the tradition of CLASSIC COWBOY........T-BONE DOOLEY!

The presentation of the 2010 SHOOTIST Award is currently planned for 2011 End of Trail, details to follow.

Nominations for the SHOOTIST AWARD for 2011 may be made to any of the Board Of Directors at any time through the next year.

Well, please allow me to be one of the first to Congratulate T-Bone.

His reputation goes before him and rightfully so.

T-Bone is also a Jedi. His number is 31.

That being the situation, I offer up a hearty:

JEDI SALUTE TO T-BONE.

Congratulations!

..........Widder

Congratulations, T-Bone! Looking forward to shooting with you someday!

Congratulations!

I can't think of anyone more deserving. Great pard. great shooter, great host, and a great friend!

For the first years award, and honor, I can hardly imagine anyone else being considered. His accomplishments alone are awesome, but that willingnes to help is so outstanding. As a SASS competitor, T-Bone is truely a legend in his own time. I mean that with the utmost respect. He is an spectacular duelist no matter what the category, CC, Outlaw, or Gunfighter.

Congratulation T-Bone!

bb

To Ghost and the rest of the committee -

Truly a "no brainer" selection. ;) Kudos to y'all for coming up with the idea, and kudos to T-Bone for being the man, the competitor, and the epitome of what Classic Cowboy is all about.

Regards, TJH

Congratulations Mr. Bill!!!!!!!!

You have worked hard, practiced hard, shot fast, didn't miss and done really good. I am very impressed by your accomplishments and you as an individual !!! I bet, Alice from Dallas is very pleased and proud too.

"IT IS A FITTING HONOR FOR A FINE FELLOW."

Amos Dumas

Well, reckon it had to go to somebody. ;) Might as well be him as anyone else, I guess. :P Just wish ya'll could have seen him when he was shootin' them little short Schofields, now there was a sight! :FlagAm:

Seriously Bill, thanks for being you. I ain't worthy.

Congratulations TBone Dooley!

You are the man and earned every good word said. You truly have done more for cowboy action than anyone I know. I was quiting cowboy action and moving on to something else. TBone said, come and shoot with us at the Bar3! We have fun and do a little shooting too. So I did and the rest is history. I never looked back since the first match at the Bar3. Thanks again TBone.

Your friend,

Cowhand

Well Congratulations, TBONE - You are pretty dang fine! ;)

You've made shooters happier and better.

Merry Christmas

Oklahoma Dee

After all of the accolades, I don't know where to start, I guess I will just have to make it with the first beverage at the 2011 Convenion in Vegas.

Shenny

YEE-HAW - CONGRATULATIONS. I have a double duty here. I didn't get to congratulate you for Winning the Rock Castle Inaugural Shoot....so CONGRATULATIONS!!!! and it just proves how much you deserve your new title....YEE-HAW! Cause you ain't only THE Classic Cowboy but a darn Classy one too! Did I say.....YEE-HAW!, yet? Well, just in case YEE-HAW! Mountain Drover

Archived