SASS Wire Forum

Hawes Western Marshall

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

Bought a Hawes Western Marshall .357 at the gunshow for $175.00. Actually got it for a friend I'm trying to get into the game. He already has one in .44 so I thought with this one as a mate he might get more interested in shooting with me.

It's not really that bad. Real smooth action, locks up good. Finish is pretty fair. Kinda big and clunky but looks like it will work.

I wouldn't trade my Rugers for it but, for somebody just getting started or on a budget, it wouldn't be a bad gun.

Anybody else shooting these?

I started in SASS with a pair of Hawes in 45 colt. They feel much like a Colt, have four click cocking and a reputation for being very strong. They were made by J P Sauer in Germany. They are fairly easy to slick up. I still have mine and use them as loaners and backups. I don't know why they aren't more popular with the cowboy people as they can be purchased very reasonably and will serve quite well. You can certainly buy them for a lot less than a Ruger or for that matter a Uberti.

The only drawback is the cylinder which is recessed for the head of the cartridge. You cannot tell if the hammer is down on the empty chamber by looking from the side. The fix is simple and cheap. I put the cylinders in the lathe and turned the recess off. It's totally unnessary for safety or function.

MTJ

My friend has one in .44 mag. It's nickled with a brass trigger guard and backstrap. It has a 6" barrel and beautiful rosewood grips. It shoots just fine. It's a little bit big and clunky but then again so are the OM Vaqueros.

Do they still make them?

Not the Hawes, or the Sauer, or the Arminius.

BUT the EAA Bounty Hunter is basically the same pistol and still being made. Of course, EAA wants just a tad more than $175 apiece fer 'em these days, but still a good bargain. Half-cock like a Colt and transfer bar like a Ruger.

The first gun my dad bought for me was a Hawes .357 Western Marshal made in "Western Germany". He bought it at the local Gibson's for $79.95 and used his Bankamericard. I still have the receipt and the original box and the gun. we had a friend who reloaded and I think he was loading on the edge of supersonic...very heavy loads but the Hawes held together...I since bought a second Western Marshall on Gunbroker for $200.00. Looking to use them in local matches...

I have three and my son has four or five of them. Great guns IMHO. Some folks think the trigger pull is a bit light but mine have been that way for 40 years and never gave a hint of a problem. The cylinders will take similar loads to a Ruger. They were built very stout.

You got that one for a good price too!

Happy shooting,

Kid Kneestone

Archived