SASS Wire Forum

Ruger 32 hammers

Marshal Too Tall, SASS #36690

Since you can't buy lowered hammers for these, does anyone know someone who has done this? I think they are cutting a section out, bending it down and then welding it back. Thanks for your help.

...Too Tall..

Just as an experiment I put some Bisley hammers in a pair. I shoot duelist and have relatively small hands. To tell you the truth, the lowered hammers really aren't needed since the frame is smaller and the hammer sits lower than a full size Vaquero to begin with. I put the stock hammers back in.

I could use some help with my extra small hands. I have a problem reaching the hammer without lifting my hand from the frame.

....Too Tall...

That may be considered an external modification, and hence prohibited.

From the Handbook ....

HAMMERS

• Hammers may be replaced or exchanged with hammers designed for the same frame size

(e.g., small frame revolver hammers may not be installed on large frame revolvers or vice

versa).

• Internal parts of the hammer may be changed (e.g., to allow for a half-cock notch on a

revolver).

• Bisley style revolver hammers may only be used when mated with a Bisley style grip frame.

• Ruger Super Blackhawk/Montado style revolver hammers (i.e. lowered and widened

hammers) are acceptable on both adjustable and fixed sight model revolvers.

• Hammer stops may be added.

• The hammer travel distance on any revolver may be adjusted.

• Rear sight notches cut into the revolver hammer may be widened.

• Hammer spur grooves may be recut.

I'd PM Pale Wolf, explain the situation, and get an official ruling.

I know that this is a slight exterior modification but with so people changing out perfectly good hammers on Rugers, why is this any

different? I would think that most people would not even notice a slight lowering of the hammer but I want to follow SASS guildlines. I

will try to get an official ruling.

I know that this is a slight exterior modification but with so people changing out perfectly good hammers on Rugers, why is this any

different? I would think that most people would not even notice a slight lowering of the hammer but I want to follow SASS guildlines. I

will try to get an official ruling.

Because the lowered hammers are allowed in the rules for large frame guns but NOT for small frame guns like most 32s.

Because the lowered hammers are allowed in the rules for large frame guns but NOT for small frame guns like most 32s.

The allowance for "lowered and widened hammers" is NOT restricted to large frame firearms.

The reference to Ruger SBHK/Montado STYLE revolver hammers is an example of the TYPE of hammers that may be used on ANY revolver (cartridge or percussion).

That has since been interpreted as allowing lowered and/OR widened hammers...either 'factory/aftermarket' OR a modification of the original hammer by cutting/bending/welding.

This modification is allowed on ANY size revolver.

NOTE:

The BISLEY hammer & frame restrictions have NOT been changed.

That agenda item failed to pass at the 2009 TG Summit.

(see this post)

The allowance for "lowered and widened hammers" is NOT restricted to large frame firearms.

The reference to Ruger SBHK/Montado STYLE revolver hammers is an example of the TYPE of hammers that may be used on ANY revolver (cartridge or percussion).

That has since been interpreted as allowing lowered and/OR widened hammers...either 'factory/aftermarket' OR a modification of the original hammer by cutting/bending/welding.

This modification is allowed on ANY size revolver.

When did that RO Committe interpretation happen, I missed it. How was it communicated to the membership?

I could use some help with my extra small hands. I have a problem reaching the hammer without lifting my hand from the frame.

....Too Tall...

Your shooting hand is supposed to break it's grip when thumb cocking a single action. The best way to avoid this is to use a two hand grip and cock the hammer with your off hand thumb. Or just learn to cock a single action one handed the way it is designed.

When did that RO Committe interpretation happen, I missed it. How was it communicated to the membership?

The rule regarding SBHK hammers USED to be:

• Ruger Blackhawk revolver hammers may be replaced with Ruger Super Blackhawk revolver hammers as a Modern Category revolver only.

With the acceptance of the Ruger Montado (and the elimination of the Modern & Traditional Categories) at the 2008 TG Summit, that was changed to the current rule with NO REFERENCE restricting the allowed modification to a specific revolver model or frame size.

That change was included the 2009 Shooters Handbook.

For those of us who do not own either a Super Blackhawk or a Bisley, and are therefore not able to make a side-by-side comparison, how does a match official make the distinction between a SBH hammer and a Bisley hammer?

While we are seeking guidance on identifying legal versus illegal hammers, what is the policy on making the call?

Are illegal hammers supposed to be identified and called at the loading table, or are they only dealt with after a complaint has been lodged?

The rule regarding SBHK hammers USED to be:

With the acceptance of the Ruger Montado (and the elimination of the Modern & Traditional Categories) at the 2008 TG Summit, that was changed to the current rule with NO REFERENCE restricting the allowed modification to a specific revolver model or frame size.

That change was included the 2009 Shooters Handbook.

Shortly after the lower hammer rule was put into the book, one member of the Wild Bunch told me it did not apply to small frame revolvers like 32 Rugers. So somewhere along the line the interpretation must have changed??

For those of us who do not own either a Super Blackhawk or a Bisley, and are therefore not able to make a side-by-side comparison, how does a match official make the distinction between a SBH hammer and a Bisley hammer?

There was an article published in the "Cowboy Chronicle" with PHOTOS showing the difference between the various hammer spurs. (April 2010 issue, p.50)

There will usually be someone at a match that knows the difference.

While we are seeking guidance on identifying legal versus illegal hammers, what is the policy on making the call?

Are illegal hammers supposed to be identified and called at the loading table, or are they only dealt with after a complaint has been lodged?

If the call is made at the loading table & the shooter goes ahead & uses ILLEGAL EQUIPMENT on that stage, the penalty is a SDQ.

Otherwise, the following applies:

APPENDIX A - RANGE SAFETY RULES

All participants are Safety Officers; however, it is the ultimate responsibility of the Range Officers to assure the safety rules are consistently followed. The following outlines specific safety violations and their penalties.

Illegal equipment penalties are not awarded backwards. If a shooter is found to have illegal equipment, no penalty will be assessed for the stage(s) already completed.

If a Range Officer elects not to penalize a shooter that has not complied with a rule, the effect is penalizing all other match participants that did comply.

ROI p.15

Shortly after the lower hammer rule was put into the book, one member of the Wild Bunch told me it did not apply to small frame revolvers like 32 Rugers. So somewhere along the line the interpretation must have changed??

There has been quite a bit of "post-Summit" discussion on this issue within the RO Committee (which includes three members of the WB).

At no time was it ever stated (IIRC) that the hammer modification allowance only applies to large-frame revolvers.

The discussion at WR 2010 clarified the "and/or" as it applies to the spur mod (i.e. the spur needn't be BOTH "lower AND wider" as on the SBHK/Montado).

Archived