SASS Wire Forum

Off to the range tomorrow

Doc Coles SASS 1188

We are moving to Alaska in just over a week and the moving company won't ship ammo. I am going to take some as checked luggage (50 lbs is OK on Alaska Airlines), but that still leaves me with a bunch to get rid of. Its much to expensive to ship it, so tomorrow I am having a marathon range say. just under 200 rounds each of 45-70 and 45-90, a couple hundred 12 gauge shells, 400-500 each of 44-40 and 45 colt, some 45 Schofield some 45acp and more than a little 32-20. I will have to pack a lunch and take plenty of water! The worst part is, I can't get any of my pals to come and help, even though they all have the day off! Wish me luck.

what about those flat rate boxes you see advertised any thing up to 70lbs as long s it fits in the box?

or one of the freight forwarders in Washington state you might get a steamer trunk full of ammo north that way that was how a friend got a panel truck full of ammo reloading tools and supplies and his machine tools hand tools etc. He was just charged the rate for the old van which he sold when it arrived. He said it was by far the cheapest way to get his heavy stuff north.

can't ship ammo thru the post office...asking for a federal rap!!

Not necessarily so Jack. Go here & scroll down & read section 10.01ff.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065010

It must be properly marked ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition Surface Only. Which means you can't send it by air. Would be tough going to Alaska by surface unless we have a treaty with Canada about US Mail trucks going through their country. Don't know if USPS sends any mail to Alaska by ship anymore. There is also a form you have to fill out when mailing ammo. Seems to me that it might be more trouble than it's worth. If anyone decides to ship ammo by USPS make sure you wrap the box in red tape. Seems the federal government never has enough. :FlagAm:

The shipping company will ship all my reloading gear, brass and lead, just no powder, primers or loaded ammo. So, shoot it up, ship the brass and reload it in Alaska. Still, I think I will have a sore shoulder tomorrow night!

Doc;

Wish I was there to help. Looking forward to your arrival in Alaska.

Our Jan. shoots are the 8th and 23rd. At least come out and say howdy.

If you want to shoot don't worry about ammo I'll bring some .45's

Can bring guns if yours haven't arrived yet. Let me know.

See ya when ya get here.

Marshal Stone

Thanks Marshal:

I doubt I will have much this month, no clothes, guns or ammo but, I will come on out to meet folks. Send me a PM so I will know when and where.

I went out to the range today and shot up better than 1,000 rounds. Actually, it got to be work. I shot right handed, left handed, from the hip, whatever I could do to make it fun. I have to say, shooting a 45-90 Sharps from the hip was new. I didn't shoot up all the 12 ga, so I will give it to friends down here.

Lots of work to do to get to AK. A busy week ahead.

Doc

Archived