SASS Wire Forum

Metal shaving and rust while cleaning pistols?

Poppy

Let me start by saying I always clean my firearms and oil them after every shoot. This time is rare because its been almost a week since I shot.

So First: While cleaning my Blackhawks I noticed when I pull the hammer back the pin at the bottom of hammer (sorry don't the right term) is a bit rusty. It is about 1/4 inch long and is just that pin nothing else. Any explainations here? I cleaned them and applied a dab of oil and will watch for next time.

Second: Since I saw rust on those pins I decided to check under the grips... all was very clean, except now I noticed (only on one pistol) a 1/2 inch long piece of metal shaving. What the Heck-a-roni ??????? Anything to be worried about? I did not notice anything off hand on where or why it happened or came from.

Any advice or comments are much appreciated...

Merry Christmas

Howdy

That pin at the bottom of the hammer; do you mean the spring loaded plunger at the bottom of the hammer when you remove the hammer? Or is it something you can see without removing the hammer?

It is tough to diagnose what the metal sliver could be without seeing it. It could be a shaving left behind when the gun was made. How old are the guns, and how often have you taken them apart?

You asked for any comments, so here it is. Cleaning Smokeless guns that often is a waste of time.

Guest diablo slim shootist

your suppose to clean them?thats why the make stainless-HAHA :FlagAm::blink:

enjoyed the X-mas party hope i wasnt to silly-see you soon-Diablo

That pin at the bottom of the hammer; do you mean the spring loaded plunger at the bottom of the hammer when you remove the hammer? Or is it something you can see without removing the hammer? It is a pin that is visible with the hammer cocked back

It is tough to diagnose what the metal sliver could be without seeing it. It could be a shaving left behind when the gun was made. How old are the guns, and how often have you taken them apart? The guns are not very old at all... I've shot them in about 5 mathces and some practice.... so less than 500-600 rounds. I normally clean them after everytime i shoot, but just the cylinder, barrell and hammer area... very rarely do I take them all apart... maybe once a year if i'm shooting as much as I have been shooting these

You asked for any comments, so here it is. Cleaning Smokeless guns that often is a waste of time. Noted and I also know, just have always done it and I enjoy it

Thanks Pards

So the guns are relativley new. I wouldn't worry about the metal shaving; as Driftwood said it is probably left from the manufactoring process. Give them a real thorough cleaning, because if there are more of them they can get into the action and may cause problems.

Are you shooting smokless or black powder?

As far as the rust goes, remove the rust and coat with oil. Rust has a tendancy to come back if not completly removed.

Myself, after having it drummed into my head for years in the Army, I clean my firearms regularly. Old habits are hard to break, just don't over do it. Too much tear down ad scrubbing can be just as detrimental as never cleaning. If shooting smokless powder, every two or three matches should be good, just inspect them well after each shoot to check for rust, damage or loose screws, etc.

The rust on the pin is easy to explain as it being the pivot area, the lubrication will have worn off and therefore being unprotected = RUST. Whereas the rest of the gun still being protected will not rust. Just pop the pin, card the rust off and lube 'er up and you should be good to go. As far as the metal shaving goes, I've had that with "new guns" before and unless you see a major cut in a significant part there should be nothing to worry about. Do remove the metal though so it doesn't cause any problems. Smithy.

Archived