SASS Wire Forum

1875 Remingtons in 44/40

Zeb Kingsford

I need some help with reloading with the Holy black. I just received my 1875 Remington Outlaws in 44/40. I am using 30 grains of fffg and a 200 grain RNFP bullet. Seems the cylinder binds up after shooting only 5 rounds with each gun. I tried using crisco on top of the bullets to help the lubrication. I had no such luck. Can anyone give me a suggestion on loading data or what I am doing wrong?

Thanks so much

Zeb

Use BigLube Bullets! Also, this is the best place to ask those kinds of questions.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=55.0

Good luck. 75s are cool.

Are you using bullets lubed for BP?? Big Lube bullets and the right lube makes a big difference. Make sure the base pin has plenty of lube, at least Ballistol, I use Gun Butter (not bore butter) on my base pin or any moving parts. Check over at the Darksiders Den for some good info, the "search" feature works great. Good Luck

http://www.gunbutter.com/

Darksiders Den

Jefro ;)

In reference to the base pin, is the base pin what the cylinder rotates on? If so, yes I have lubed that. It might be the bullets are not lubed enough. Where do you get "Big lube bullets" from?

Thanks

Zeb

I went to Dick Dastardly's site and checked out the bullets. Do you know who commercially sells them? I would like to get at least a thousand of them It looks like Dick doesn't want to sell a big lot of them and I am not interested in molding them.

Thanks

Zeb

I went to Dick Dastardly's site and checked out the bullets. Do you know who commercially sells them? I would like to get at least a thousand of them It looks like Dick doesn't want to sell a big lot of them and I am not interested in molding them.

Thanks

Zeb

Here.

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/BigLube.html

If you are shooting regular bullets with a lube for smokeless, you might try these bullets with one of the synthetic black powders such as 777 or APP. These powders do not need a different lube.

There are two things that may be responsible for cylinder bind. Your cylinder gap from the barrel and your base pin. You did not say how you lube it for one and if the base pin has received any work. Your cylinder gap should be in the .07 area. Your base pin should be lubed with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. A regular oil or grease will not work. The Mobil 1 may be purchased at auto parts stores. Your pin should be polished to a smooth finish so that no build up can stick. Your bullets should be able to hold at least 1 grain of lube. The stock 427098 mold will work fine if you can find a older one with the bigger grooves. I see where you were refered to Springfield Slim AKA Whyte's Leather. He sells the big lubes which are fine for SASS but will not hold up to long range. Slug your bores and make sure you are shoo9ting bullets that are at least .001 larger than your barrel slugs. My 44-40 guns both revolvers and rifle are .427 I shoot .429 bullets that I cast myself with good results.

Howdy

I have shot Black Powder for many years, but have never found this 'Holy Black' on sale anywhere. Just who makes it?

Little joke there.........

Sounds like you are suffering from the classic problem of not enough Black Powder compatible bullet lube on your bullets. Try the Big Lube bullets and all your problems will go away. Dick does not cast bullets, he only sells molds. I don't blame him, casting is a pretty dirty, tedious process.

You can get Big Lube bullets from the website listed. Ask for the Mav-Dutchman design. It is 200 grains and has a huge lube groove that will carry enough lube for any charge of Black Powder in a cartridge. Some brands of Black Powder burn cleaner than others. I have had the best luck with Schuetzen brand. I usually use 2F in all my cartridges. Schuetzen will burn cleaner than Goex and will leave less fouling behind. Schuetzen burns about as clean as Swiss, but is much less expensive. Swiss is overkill for Cowboy cartridge shooting. If you don't know the diameter of your rifling and chamber throats, ask for them sized to .429.

As far as barrel/cylinder gap is concerned, my experience is that anywhere from .005 to .008 will be fine as long as you have enough BP compatible lube on your bullets. That gap should work fine with Big Lube bullets. The way to measure your cylinder gap is to push the cylinder all the way to the front if there is any endshake, and measure the gap with feeler gauges.

There are two things that may be responsible for cylinder bind. Your cylinder gap from the barrel and your base pin. You did not say how you lube it for one and if the base pin has received any work. Your cylinder gap should be in the .07 area. Your base pin should be lubed with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. A regular oil or grease will not work. The Mobil 1 may be purchased at auto parts stores. Your pin should be polished to a smooth finish so that no build up can stick. Your bullets should be able to hold at least 1 grain of lube. The stock 427098 mold will work fine if you can find a older one with the bigger grooves. I see where you were refered to Springfield Slim AKA Whyte's Leather. He sells the big lubes which are fine for SASS but will not hold up to long range. Slug your bores and make sure you are shoo9ting bullets that are at least .001 larger than your barrel slugs. My 44-40 guns both revolvers and rifle are .427 I shoot .429 bullets that I cast myself with good results.

#1 this is worth readin agin

Your cylinder gap should be in the .07 area.

I suspect that is a typo. .070 is a little bit large for a barrel/cylinder gap.

It was a typo there Driftwood. In the sense of a 63 yr old brain cell loss. But if you have a .070 clearance then think about all the TO's that would no longer stand next to you while shooting a stage.HA!! HA!!

Long range is what my 38-55 and 45-70 are for, not my 44-40. Although at one of my clubs we have this old welding tank hanging from a bar at 100 yards. With my Henry 44-40 I can hit it 10 outta 10. The '73 and the '66 don't do nearly as well, probably due to the Henry having a stiffer barrel and all. All with BP, of course.

Thanks guys: I just ordered some bullets from springfield slim. I will go to the auto parts store and get me some of the Moblie 1 grease also.

Zeb

I wuz unaware of the applicaiton of Mobil One grease for base pins. I jest use home brewed BP boolit lube. I was also unaware of problems with ling range accuracy with the Mav version of the big lube boolit. I don't have arns in 44/40, but the 45 Colt and 357 versions are nothing to sneeze at downrange. I don't mean BPCR accuracy, but about as good as any traditional boolits.

prs

Archived