SASS Wire Forum

Is Your Club Friendly?

Zachariah Smith 70528

Is Your Club Friendly?

Just about all of us would, without giving it a second thought, answer a rousing yes.

The real test for me is what happens as we break off into our normal cliques as the day progresses. Unless the new shooter is just naturally outgoing he or she is soon left on their own for most of the day.

Most clubs will indeed loan ammo and even firearms to help out a stranger and this is friendly; but, for me this is only a small part of a clubs overall friendly rating.

Is your club really friendly?

Hi Zach,

At The Outlaws, I put together the posses. If we have a new shooter who came alone, I try to put him on my posse. Usually, most new shooters know some folks and will shoot with them. I tell the new folks that a bunch of folks go to lunch after the match and ask them to join us.

When I see strangers watching us shoot, I always go and talk to them. I've even got some of them to join us for lunch. Some have given me their email addresses. I've sent them links and additional information.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Zach,

At The Outlaws, I put together the posses. If we have a new shooter who came alone, I try to put him on my posse. Usually, most new shooters know some folks and will shoot with them. I tell the new folks that a bunch of folks go to lunch after the match and ask them to join us.

When I see strangers watching us shoot, I always go and talk to them. I've even got some of them to join us for lunch. Some have given me their email addresses. I've sent them links and additional information.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Yep, Exactly the same way at Five Dogs. ;)

Zach,

Thsi is my first year of shooting SASS, and all the clubs I have shot at have been friendly. It has been a pleasure shooting with you and I want to thank you for taking the time to help me along the way. I'm looking forward to shooting next year with you and the rest of my new pards.

At The Cowboys I'd say yup, A very friendly club. I gues that's why The Cowboys has grown to be the largest CAS club in the world. People vote with their feet. First impressions are lasting impressions, or can a bell be unrung? My own self, when I meet a new shooter I try to emulate how I was treated at The Cowboys when I first stated. I think its just the cowboy way, as well as you just never know the quality of a new frienship you just might gain. ;)

Roy

As Larsen said, people are the ones who make or break a club. I had a very bad experience at a club by the hands of one person very early on in the game and actually stopped shooting for a period of time because of it. Later on, even though I generally ride alone, I traveled to other clubs, 5 Dogs Creek for one, and was taken in like one of the family (Thanks to many like Laylow Curly, Youngblood, Double Scotch, Allie Mo (no e), Snakebite, Howdy Doody, Crusty Jim, Burly Bear Fred, and Calgary Kate).

Since that one time, I have traveled to other states and other clubs to be taken in like a long lost brother, even the one where my nemesis still shoots occassionally. This year will be no different as my riding partner and I head to Winter Range for the first time and to the Drygulch at Arroyo Cantua where I will meet a fella I have only conversed with on the wire.

The old saying still applies, "I came for the shooting and stayed for the people." It don't get no plainer than that.

Jailhouse Jim

I feel I must comment on this one.

This falls under the category of "Things are not always as they appear so don't jump to conclusions"

The first few times we shot at the Bar 3, TBone made sure we were on his posse.

After about the 5th time we were there..... they would read the posse lists and we were on "the other posse"

Every posse at the Bar 3 is a lot of fun but I assumed that for some reason TBone didn't want me on his posse.

He was still friendly so I didn't think I had done anything that would make him not want me hanging around...

So I started half jokingly saying "oh I see, you don't want me on your posse anymore...you don't want me on the fun posse"

This went on for a few months until I finally came right out and asked him "what's up? I'm never on your posse anymore"

Then he explained that when new shooters come to the club he makes sure they are on his posse so he can make sure they know everything they need to know

and to make sure they know they are welcome there. Once he is sure they are safe and willing to come back.... they get put on another posse.

We graduated to the other posse, so to speak.

Now we get to shoot with Nuttin and Honey... and how can you not have fun when you shoot with them? Her smile lights up the stage!

I do want to make it perfectly clear, there is no such thing as a boring posse at the Bar 3.

Anyone who shoots there knows that to be true!

I feel like I must mention Ringo and Buffy here also. The very first time we were at the Bar 3 they were soooo friendly.

They really made us feel like they enjoyed having us there and wanted us to come back. Since then they act like they are truly glad to see us again.

And Jimmy (Cowhand) and Cheryl.... so nice. I love them both.

Jimmy worked with me for 2 hours once, giving me tips on how to have the right mind set when I shoot a stage. He was so patient with me.

Is our club friendly??

Yes!

Mostly Nope. Living near Chitown, our little posse practices on an indoor private suburban range during the cold months like right now. All gun ranges are outlawed in Chicago proper and this is the subject of 5 BIG federal lawsuits currently even after the MC DOnald vs Chicago decision. That said, when the Spring thaw comes, some Pards from our little posse ventures out to clubs farther out from the ChiMetro monstrosity where real SASS clubs have real outdoor ranges. A few Pards from our little posse are pretty good and when they shoot well at the other clubs events, it gets pretty obvious sometimes that the other clubs hate seeing any match winners coming from "out-of-town" small posses. They seem to favor their own local heroes.

I would say YEP.

But when you got T-Bone Dooley as the head ring master.

And one of his best motto's is "We Are Glad You Are Here"

How could it not be.

Hey Al...

"Have I mentioned how glad I am you're here?!

I'm glad you're here!!!"

I would say YEP.

But when you got T-Bone Dooley as the head ring master.

And one of his best motto's is "We Are Glad You Are Here"

How could it not be.

and by the way...

Jailbreak at Oakwood, we sent in our registration yesterday.

We asked to be put on the same posse with you and the lovely Sierra Star.

I hope that's okay. If not...just tell em when you get there. :->

Howdy,

Merlot and I are usually fighting for last place at our club. And we both genuinely like other people. Because we are not a threat and try to have fun, we also try to invite new shooters or "gawkers" to lunch with us. Most of the time, if they go and see how everyone else is when not shooting, they will return and eventually start shooting. We aren't the only ones at Powder Creek that do this either. They are a great bunch of people even when they're squabbling. That's what makes the club "great".

Shakey

and by the way...

Jailbreak at Oakwood, we sent in our registration yesterday.

We asked to be put on the same posse with you and the lovely Sierra Star.

I hope that's okay. If not...just tell em when you get there. :->

Sounds great to me.

I know you all are going to camp also.

So should be fun.

Howdy,

Merlot and I are usually fighting for last place at our club. And we both genuinely like other people. Because we are not a threat and try to have fun, we also try to invite new shooters or "gawkers" to lunch with us. Most of the time, if they go and see how everyone else is when not shooting, they will return and eventually start shooting. We aren't the only ones at Powder Creek that do this either. They are a great bunch of people even when they're squabbling. That's what makes the club "great".

Shakey

What you and Allie Mo are doing really helps!

All of the clubs need to find and encourage those folks that are good at welcoming folks to the shoot. Some are gifted at that and they need to be supported and encouraged.

And all of us can keep working on being friendly - with both new and repeat shooters.

Yes, I would like to think our club is very friendly. We always welcome guest and newbies, and we introduce them during our saftey meeting. No cliques, we all just co-mingle, when it's time to eat no one group sits away from any other. It's all good :lol:

Jefro ;) Relax-Enjoy

I would have to say not realy ..

there are some good people i shoot with and best friends with but there are some others that makes me think about what i'm doing ,just depends on the day whos there ..

lucky for me i have a range here but don't get many people coming out or i can shoot at another range 1/2 an hour longer to get to BUT a better group of people so billy blacksmith may see a bit more of me in his neck of the woods ..

a big part of it is the people some are larger than life quite forward eazy going and help out are there for the sport others are there for themselfs .. there are people in the sport that would loan you there chainsaw , those are the people that make the clubs go round ..

it dose also come down to how the "club" is set up some may have strong sections in other areas or even type of people the 2 CAS clubs close to me one is town/city based other rural based/smaller town no prizes for guessing the smaller pistol club is more cowboy and is atracting new shooters ..

JD

Miss Allie,

Can I join your club/posse? ;):lol:

Major Payne

Guest diablo slim shootist

Yep !- Fast and Friendly is our moto(one I coined myself) ;)

At our Christmas party we even stopped and talked to the non cowboy

dressed people in the restaurant and invited them to the club!

To answer the question: "Is Your Club Friendly?"..

If you read one of my previous posts and the interaction.. or in this case, non-interaction of the club members (except for MP who is a Silver Senior Multi-State 1st Place Buckle Winner) where I went to shoot, there was little or no friendliness at all.

Single Action Six

Hi Zach,

At The Outlaws, I put together the posses. If we have a new shooter who came alone, I try to put him on my posse.

Allie Mo

That could be counter-productive. I know I, for one, would be spending so much time fawning over you I'd never learn anything at all. :FlagAm:

Merry Christmas.

While my reputation as being one of the world's worst cowboy action shooters, and I'm guaranteed to slow down the whole posse often precedes me to a match, I've always felt welcome wherever I've shot.

I think folks generally find what they're lookin' for. If you're looking for an unfriendly club, I'll guarantee you'll find it. If you're looking for good folks that like to have a good time at a shoot, then you'll most likely find that.

Russ

think yer hitting the nail on the head at times there are groups that hang around together years a go i was the fat kid you know the old last to be picked for teams etc etc etc man that sucks ... BUT it is a two way street there are at times tire kickers that are just filling in an hour or 2 while there cars at the shop

i have seen it with new guys being floged off told to come back cos it's a "club" day if there was a spair range i'd sooner take them aside get them going and give them a rough run down on the sport etc ..

i have had new guys come here to shoot sit on out outdoor deck ( house is club house at times ) have a meal with us etc etc have a beer or 3 some i see again others ummmmm guess they were not cut out to be cowboys but they had a go ..

JD

As a newby i can say this.... at my first club Christmas Party my wife and I had to sit and eat alone..... and I am sure it had nothing to do with showing up late and those were the only seats left :~)) Seriously I truly believe this is one of the finest sprots / hobbies going today and i have been involved in several other clubs

I have been shooting since June of 2005 and it just happens to be the case of certain people like to shoot together. As with anything you get involved with in life, if you are a wall flower and don't mix and mingle you will feel like you are being shunned. Yes there are certain shooters that only hang with and talk to certain people, but for the most part SASS shooters are a great bunch. I am by no means a top gun, but usually finish pretty good. My focus is to always talk to everyone from the number one shooter to the last place shooter. After running a club for the first time this year, it is really important to make everyone feel welcomed. Just like in business, you want your customers to come back.

Merry Christmas,

Hud McCoy

Mostly Nope. Living near Chitown, our little posse practices on an indoor private suburban range during the cold months like right now. All gun ranges are outlawed in Chicago proper and this is the subject of 5 BIG federal lawsuits currently even after the MC DOnald vs Chicago decision. That said, when the Spring thaw comes, some Pards from our little posse ventures out to clubs farther out from the ChiMetro monstrosity where real SASS clubs have real outdoor ranges. A few Pards from our little posse are pretty good and when they shoot well at the other clubs events, it gets pretty obvious sometimes that the other clubs hate seeing any match winners coming from "out-of-town" small posses. They seem to favor their own local heroes.

This is from someone who DOES NOTuse his REAL alas on the Wire. I also shoot at ALL the local clubs and find his comment to be NOT TRUE. Mebe it"s an attitude problem on his part???????.................Bandit

Archived