SASS Wire Forum

Dang, that was LOUD!

Fireball #7709 Life

Can someone explain to me where and how on the Dillon XL650 the problem occurs? I would expect it would be at the primer seating station when the cartridge gets pressed down on the primer seating pin. But I don't see how that sets off the others in the primer tube since they are moved out from under the tube and into place by the primer wheel.

Is there something happening when the primer drops from the primer tube into the primer wheel and therefore all the others above it are ignited?

Haven't had it happen to me yet, but had a whole bunch of crushed ones this week. Maybe I ought to start wearing Depends with my safety glasses for easier cleanup :FlagAm:.

Reloading with 1050, case- and bulletfeeder is cool and quick. Always filling the primertube not. So a hose was found, little more inside diameter like the outside diameter of primers. Stick the end on top of the primer tube. Starting in basement, up through an empty installation pipe, get through the kitchen and ending under the roof in garret. The hose was about 15 foot long or high if you want. When I remember right, it must be close to 1500 primers inside. Of cause, all filled from top. I don't really know what was going wrong, but after some years, still you can find primers around in the gardens of my neighbors.

Boogie

ps. the hole in the roof wasn't the biggest problem.

I'm sure glad I use an RCBS 2000 progressive and don't have to worry about primer tube explosions.

those are usually famous last words. Even the best sometimes has their flaws, as you can see many of us have done it yet NONE of us are running to buy different presses. The best is still the best. PERIOD. GO BLUE. the rest are just wannabes.

Guest diablo slim shootist
I'm sure glad I use an RCBS 2000 progressive and don't have to worry about primer tube explosions.
Famous last words "that will never happen to me" <_<Dang Deuce is fast beat me to it!im just waiting for mine to go boom-awwww it will never happen-yea right!

Famous last words "that will never happen to me" <_<Dang Deuce is fast beat me to it!im just waiting for mine to go boom-awwww it will never happen-yea right!

Umm, it's kind of hard to have a primer tube explosion with a press that doesn't use primer tubes.

<<Even the best sometimes has their flaws, as you can see many of us have done it yet NONE of us are running to buy different presses>>

I'm not sure that makes a whole lot of sense.

I can tell you this: after reading that 'many of you have done it' I'm certainly not running out to replace my non-exploding green press with an exploding blue one.

Umm, it's kind of hard to have a primer tube explosion with a press that doesn't use primer tubes.

<<Even the best sometimes has their flaws, as you can see many of us have done it yet NONE of us are running to buy different presses>>

I'm not sure that makes a whole lot of sense.

I can tell you this: after reading that 'many of you have done it' I'm certainly not running out to replace my non-exploding green press with an exploding blue one.

Actually accidental primer explosions are not exclusive to presses that use primer tubes, know of several occasions that Lee's tray style priming system has failed the same way. And looking at RCBS set up it's possible for it to happen as well. Does not take a rocket scientist to see that. The intent of the thread was not encourage bashing of Dillon products. But some seem to want to turn it in to that. As with anything the best soemtimes get crap simply because they are the best. Dillon priming tube systems actually is housed within a blast tube that protects the user in case of detonation. What's protecting you when you plastic strip of primers does the same thing?

Actually accidental primer explosions are not exclusive to presses that use primer tubes, know of several occasions that Lee's tray style priming system has failed the same way. And looking at RCBS set up it's possible for it to happen as well. Does not take a rocket scientist to see that. The intent of the thread was not encourage bashing of Dillon products. But some seem to want to turn it in to that. As with anything the best soemtimes get crap simply because they are the best. Dillon priming tube systems actually is housed within a blast tube that protects the user in case of detonation. What's protecting you when you plastic strip of primers does the same thing?

Who is doing any bashing?

The thread is about primer tube explosions in Dillon presses and I pointed out that a competing press doesn't use primer tubes and therefore cannot have a primer tube explosion. Replies to that post said 'famous last words', so I again pointed out that you can't have a primer tube explosion when you don't have primer tubes.

I'm not a rocket scientist but even I can see that RCBS's primer strip system is a far safer method of handling primers while loading on a progressive. Common sense tells me that there is no need for a blast tube to protect the user if there isn't going to be a blast in the first place. The plastic strips that the primers load from are the same strips that the primers are shipped in. I recently received a shipment of 25,000 CCI primers in the plastic loading strips; does anyone here care to ship 25,000 primers in loading tubes (assuming any shipper would knowingly accept them that way)? If anyone knows of a chain explosion of primers in an RCBS 2000 please point it out to me for I've never heard of one.

As for folks who have primer tube explosions and are still happy with their press, well, good for them. I know if the same thing happened to me I would be re-thinking my choice of equipment if another alternative were available.

Can someone explain to me where and how on the Dillon XL650 the problem occurs? I would expect it would be at the primer seating station when the cartridge gets pressed down on the primer seating pin. But I don't see how that sets off the others in the primer tube since they are moved out from under the tube and into place by the primer wheel.

Is there something happening when the primer drops from the primer tube into the primer wheel and therefore all the others above it are ignited?

Bump

Archived