SASS Wire Forum

Dang, that was LOUD!

Fireball #7709 Life

Whadya' say? HUH?

1050's will make a loud noise too :)

Glasses on. Press cleaned recently. Not going fast. Not forcing nothing. Holy crap, those 50-60 primers were loud B)

FWIW; Shotgun Mary can get from the bedroom to the back porch from a dead sleep in 1.2 sec's......wish i had video of that :P

Had a primer go off in a small room many years ago when I first started reloading. I was using a Lee Classic loader (back then it was just called a Lee Loader) where you drive the case down on the primer with a hammer. After that I bought the Auto prime to insert the primers. I still loaded a lot of bullets with that thing, but never used it again to insert a primer. My ears rang for a while.

I hope it never happens ta me!!!! Ive cussed a 650 fer years on account of its priming deal and would never buy one for that reason. I've crushed many primers with a 1050 but never had one pop, cant figger out how tha ignition point was under tha tube. Oh well.

I think I'll reread tha OP and laugh alittle more :)

HOPE YOU HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS

RRR

Hey buddy, congrats you are now part of a very elite club. Actually I think this may be called karma because you were pretty snobby about it being impossible for your 1050 to do that when I had 99 primers go all at once on my 650. Would love to have seen MB make that run, Ty probably never even budged did he?

Far out!! I have never used a complex press before. Not sure if'n I want to now :lol:

Just kidding...I have no issues with my hand primer and measly basic 'one-at-a-time' set up, but it would be nice to crank out alot of rounds in minimal time.

Glad you are OK!

GG ~ ;)

Walk carefully to the dresser, get out a clean pair of shorts, drop the other pair in the laundry basket, or wash immediately, depending on "condition."

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Coffinmaker

I'm glad you are OK, as for me, it hasn't happened yet, I load on the 550's, but it can happen on those as well, knock on wood, I'm just waiting for it to happen which I hope it doesn't. I am careful but you never know what will happen, hopefully if does to me I only have a few primers left.

All for now JD Trampas

Howdy,

Yup blew some primers on a Lee Load Master, just sit there for a few seconds touching and feeling just to make sure I wasn't bleeding then I follwed Colorado Coffin makers instructions.

KK

CSI investigators believe the case being primed went off as the primer slide was moving into position (it was stuck with primer parts not fully forward or back) and flame travel set off the tube.....they are still dissasembling the machine and looking for parts though :P

Yeah Ray, as Deuce alludes I believed it to be a pretty remote possibility on the 1050's. I was working up a 10MM load, loading a few rounds slowly(checking powder weight in between each stroke of the press). I've changed the press over a couple times in the last couple of weeks and clean and inspect every time. I've been loading on them for years, and have crushed some primers in that time with them, this is a first.

Gunner, I've had a couple of "singles" over my 30+ years of reloading. Stuff does happen, it doesn't require "complex" machinery. That's why I wear the annoying safety glasses still.

Ty wasn't here Deuce.... ;)

I'm now curious if large primers are louder than small ones :lol: I'm really in no hurry to find out tho........

I'm now curious if large primers are louder than small ones I'm really in no hurry to find out tho........

I guess that would be..................................

Ready?

here it comes

a big.......................

FIREBALL

There is something to be said for a single stage press and hand priming after all. Smithy.

I've done it twice. Once was my fault all the way and was really stupid. I tried to remove a primer that was stuck on an angle in the primer slide with out taking the primer system off. With glasses and the primer between the case and the primer tube I tried to take a punch as big as the primmer and gently tap the primer back down in the slide. Keep in mind it was the upper side of the primer not the side that the firing pin hits. As soon as pressure was put on the primer BANG!!!!!!!!!!! The flame set off all the primers in the tube. I never did find the follower. Yes I checked the ceiling. It ended up the hole in the primer slide was worn. Put a new one in and solved the problem.

The second time it happened I bought some once fired 38 brass for practice ammo. I smashed one primer and couldn't figure out why I did it. The next time I felt resistance BANG!!!! Come to find out that some of the primers in the once fired brass was not getting punched out. The press was knocking out the primer cup but the sides of the primer. That time it only set off the primer under the case and did not touch the ones in the tube.

Fireball I would really look at the maybe replacing the primer slide if you've had a lot of rounds go through that machine.

FWIW, I would take the 1050 primmer system over the 650 any day of the week. I've owned them all and the 1050 is by far the most trouble free press I've ever owned.

Don't worry Fireball the ringing in your ears will stop eventually.

Kind of an aside:

Was doing some gun twirlin in the shop the other day (not very good). Now the previous day I cleaned 'em. Knew they were empty. Twirlin away and Bang! Checked my guns. Empty. Looked down and had stepped on a primer I had dropped.

Talk about a near heart attack!

There is something to be said for a single stage press and hand priming after all. Smithy.

Not really. If you've never set off a primer while reloading you either don't shoot/reload much and/or you haven't been reloading long enough.

Did it break anything on the press?

Blew the aluminum liner up to look like a Michigan Muffler.(lots of holes and black soot). Bent the plastic follower that sets off the low primer alarm bad enough that it broke when i tried to straighten it. snapped the arm off the low primer alarm and the small white piece of plastic by the shellplate is orbiting the ceiling fan somewhere....Otherwise things look fine. I've got the spare parts(even the slide Greg, I may change that for good measure) but I've given my self the day off ;)

Not really. If you've never set off a primer while reloading you either don't shoot/reload much and/or you haven't been reloading long enough.

I guess I'm due. I've been reloading for almost 40 years, tens of thousands of rounds, with no primer problems other than the rare crushed primer, or that magical primer that manages to turn upside down in the tube.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

209's are louder!! Course I only lit 2 of them. One day after a jam up one got down by the ram and when the thing lowered somehow it set off the one getting ready to be seated. Kinda makes ya go ;)

Yea turns out those goofy glasses are good for sumthin!! Glad everyone is okay!!

Gunner, I've had a couple of "singles" over my 30+ years of reloading. Stuff does happen, it doesn't require "complex" machinery. That's why I wear the annoying safety glasses still.

:lol: ...good, there's hope for me...and, I hear ya on the safety glasses when reloadin' :P

GG ~ ;)

Fireball, I am glad you're ok, did cha hav tu change yur drawers? :P

Myself, I haven't experienxce that, yet. Dunt really wunt tu eethur. :lol:

Maybe i otta start warin my safety glasses tu lode..hmmmm :)

Cheyenne ;)

40ty years of reloading and this has never happened to me yet, or as Homer Simpson says, soooo far, Up 'til nooow. Knock on wood and praise the Heavens! Anyways, this is one of the reasons I use very basic procedures. The other terror is not visualizing the powder drop and loading up some squibs and getting a bullet stuck in the barrel. I don't trust powder alarms. This is why I keep it SIMPLE!!! I mostly hand prime with Lee stuff. Red or Blue, it can happen to you

I have 2 550's, one I've had for 18 years. Been shooting cowboy 2-3 times a month for the last 11 years. Before that I shot at the range at work once or twice a week shooting my nines and forties. Never popped a primer, although I have crushed a few. I have 2 used LEE hand primer units, never had any trouble with them but both of them have burn marks on the plastic cover from the previous owners. Guess I am due also. I HAVE tossed a primer in the lead pot twice while casting. Pretty loud, splashed a bit of lead but since it was on top not that much. Now I never just sweep up lead scraps and toss it in the pot without a VERY good look at it. Also moved the casting stuff further away form the reloading bench. Pretty much always wear safety glasses when in the shop doing most anything, especially reloading and casting.

I love my 550! I have popped a single primer several times. Guess what, the tube won't blow! I can load enough ammo for a regional and all the sides I wanna shoot in an hour and a half, good enough.

Colt, can we guess who? I say that sounds like something someone who hangs around Lennie's shop. That leads me to 2 names. One, used to be a greens keeper and one is a prick. Sorry 2 R. A T. HMMMMMM.....am I right?

209's are louder!! Course I only lit 2 of them. One day after a jam up one got down by the ram and when the thing lowered somehow it set off the one getting ready to be seated. Kinda makes ya go ;)

Yea turns out those goofy glasses are good for sumthin!! Glad everyone is okay!!

+1.....and if you pour all of Dad's spent primers from the spent primer cup into a pop can and then get your little brother to SMACK that sucker with a 1# sledge hammer it will go off like a bomb!

One 209 in a fast running PW with a hydraulic footpedal will make you see God.

:FlagAm::blink::huh::blink::FlagAm:

Okay, I didn't wanna admit it. But I reckon I'm in the outfit too.

Happent to me in about '83 or '84 with a new D-450 loading .45 ACP's, I recollect.

I kept it a secret. :blush:

Scary and embarrasing!

Merry Christmas,

Mustang Gregg

EDIT-------Now I load 100% with tricked-out Lyman T-Mags and Lee Auto Primes. Ain't no problem getting over 200/hr and I can see every powder charge and feel every primer getting seated.

That's fast enough for me. And I load for 4 shooters.

Well, how remarkable that this thread comes on now. Just happened to me yesterday, Fireball. I was reloading with Federal small pistol primers on my Dillon 550. I have to admit I felt a drag and forced it a bit. Learned my lesson. What a way to come fully alert!

Cassalong Hopidy

I would give up shooting before I would resort to using a single stage press!! :FlagAm:

Archived