SASS Wire Forum

Luger No Markings?

Blackcat James SASS# 29509

I ran into a Luger today in 9mm that had no makers marks or any other markings but a four digit serial number. Is this a parts gun? Was it a sterile pistol for some alphabit soup group? Price was good at $499.

Thanks to Capt Woodrow for that excellent site!

"Sneak" lugers are out there; the theory is they got around the arms control of the Treaty of Versailles by not marking the dates of manufacture (above chamber) and/or the manufacturer code (toggle). The usual proofs should be on the frame, front right. (Opposite the takedown lever) This would fool the arms inspectors and conceal the fact that Germany was ignoring the treaty and re-arming.

It is also possible the gun was refinished and these markings were polished out. Pictures would help a more detailed answer.

Given that any old ratty Luger seems to be going for 700+ 499 would seem to be a good deal!

I would buy it if it was near me in Virginia for that price. I would worry about all of the other stuff later

I found a Versilles Treaty luger in Iraq. It had been nickle plated, and "rode hard and put away wet" way too many times. Had all the markings plis two dates stamped above the chamber. If I remember correctly They were 1916 and 1920. Twas a real shame.

I found a Versilles Treaty luger in Iraq. It had been nickle plated, and "rode hard and put away wet" way too many times. Had all the markings plis two dates stamped above the chamber. If I remember correctly They were 1916 and 1920. Twas a real shame.

Saw one just like that at a gunshow yesterday. I think it had the same dates. He was asking $850 for it. Most of the nickel plating had peeled off. It wasn't pretty.

Archived