SASS Wire Forum

yer favorite

Madd Mike #8595

MM,

I've got an old RCBS that ya put one in, pull the handle, take it out, repeat. If I had my ruthers' I'd have a straight-through Star (Magma?).

Safe trails,

CKid

I have both a Star I use for BP lubing and a Magma Lube Master for smokeless.

The Star lubes straight though. You can drop a bullet in and press it through then drop another bullet in and continue. You do not have to remove the first bullet to put the next bullet in.

You can also get the bullet feeder for the Star. I have the feeder. I used if to a year or so and them removed it. I can hand feed it just about as fast as I can pull the lever on the machine.

The automatic lube/sizing machine will require you to cast several days before using the machine or get an automatic casting machine as well. The automatic about 1000 bullets every 14 minutes.

Cost is definitely a factor to consider.

Also do you want to cast bullets on a commercial level?

If so ... I have a couple of Magma machines that will be up for sale in the near future. A caster and lube/sizer with several mold sets.

MM we use a Star for the bullets we cast commercially for bp shooting that Sixgun has hooked an air cylinder/compressor up to. Its very fast and once you get the settings squared away for each bullets lube groove settings you can fly through hunderdes of bullets in short order. I still use a Lyman for long range, big stuff. The Star is more expensive but it makes lubing large quantities a simple matter limited only by how fast you can put one in and have them drop into your hand.

I have an old Lyman 450, which took a lot of work to make it stop blowing lube out the bottom (I use it with SPG for BP). The later Lymans (the 4500s) are supposed to have been changed so this is not a problem, but if I were buying one new I would get a Star. Now that I have the 450 fixed I can't justify the expense.

I used a Lyman 45 for several years, then finally bought the Magma Star, with the air cylinder, no bullet feed, and had a die made for Big Lube bullets.

What used to be a messy chore, and took days, now takes an hour or so, and is actually kind of fun now.

I dont see the need for a bullet feeder for me, but am trying to figure out a way to get them to drop into a tube and stack for easy storage, or for putting into the trays.

DM

Dalton said, "I dont see the need for a bullet feeder for me, but am trying to figure out a way to get them to drop into a tube ...."

I made a small long table top thing to put bullets in to tubes. I took two pieces of shelving and mounted them 3/16" apart and the outside edges raised about 1/2". Looks like a "V". The gap in between the boards is to let small stuff fall through. I place the bullets on the "V" table and turn them so all the noses point the same way. I then take a plastic tube and push it along the "V" picking up all the bullets. The table top is long enough to fill a tube completely plus a few.

If interested, I take photos of the table top and make it available.

Archived