SASS Wire Forum

looking for 357 140 gr half jacket

Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943

I haven't been shooting my 357 mag in a while but since I have a handgun/muzzleloader javelina hunt in Feb I thought I would load up my favorite which is a 140 gr half jacket. Problem is I can't find any mfg that makes such bullet any more. Anyone remember who did make them - or am I losing what little I had left of my mind?

Speer used to make a 146 grain, semi-wadcutter, semi-jacketed, hollow point. Seemed like it would make a nice hunting round, but never got around to using one so far.

Charlie,

I believe it was Speer that you are thinking of, and Hugh would be correct in the bullet being a 146 gr. (not to say someone else did not make a 140 gr.). Speer also made the "half" jacket .357 bullet in the 160 gr. These bullets were made back in the seventies but I believe were latter discontinued but not sure of year.

bb

Guest diablo slim shootist
Hmm - might need to try those too! any experience with them?

i have not tried any personally but they git good reviews and are made for lever guns :)

thanks for all the info. wonder why Speer discontinued them? fortunately I've got some time before my hunt to find another bullet that I like. that leverlution might be an interesting one if it'll expand at revolver velocities.

Uuuh if you notice in the ad where it says status....discontinued my the manufacturer.

I worked in a gun store in the late 60's early 70's and the bullets were by Speer. The 38-357 both are listed in Speer #5 and the bullets were not made for rifles as posted above. I shot hundreds of them and they were good bullets. They were made in the 146 and 160 gr weight as posted. That design was also made for the 44 mag in 225 grs. I have about 300 or so of the 44's.

Archived