SASS Wire Forum

Guns of Bandolero

Curley Cole, SASS #56849

Just watched Bandolero (1968) with Dean Martin and Jimmy Stewart. What a hoot listening to Those two talk and argue. But I noticed the sherrif was July Johnson, and his deputy was Roscoe Bookbinder. Very close to the names that McMurty used for Lonesome Dove....July Johnson and Roscoe Barnes...

but I started noticing that several of the characters were carring Remingtons....lost sight of the story line and was trying to get a good look at the guns. Dean Martin and Jimmy Stewart both carried Colts, however in one scene I froze while Dean was fighting the Mexican Bandit off Raquel I saw a pretty clear view of a combo of a Colt Single Action and the web of a Remington....but there looked like a wedge from a Cap and ball on the web too...wonder if the put several guns together to make it.

Anyone else got any info on these guns....maybe ya got a copy of the movie and can freeze some of the scenes better...

Inquiring minds want to know...

Damn I hate this much rain on a shootin weekend...

curley

Just watched Bandolero (1968) with Dean Martin and Jimmy Stewart. What a hoot listening to Those two talk and argue. But I noticed the sherrif was July Johnson, and his deputy was Roscoe Bookbinder. Very close to the names that McMurty used for Lonesome Dove....July Johnson and Roscoe Barnes...

but I started noticing that several of the characters were carring Remingtons....lost sight of the story line and was trying to get a good look at the guns. Dean Martin and Jimmy Stewart both carried Colts, however in one scene I froze while Dean was fighting the Mexican Bandit off Raquel I saw a pretty clear view of a combo of a Colt Single Action and the web of a Remington....but there looked like a wedge from a Cap and ball on the web too...wonder if the put several guns together to make it.

Anyone else got any info on these guns....maybe ya got a copy of the movie and can freeze some of the scenes better...

Inquiring minds want to know...

Damn I hate this much rain on a shootin weekend...

curley

I might have found some of an answer to my own question, (in case anyone is interested!) In the arms catalog from the National Firearms Museum "Real Guns of Reel Heros", in the intro it talks about the fact that cap and ball guns were too much trouble to deal and needed to be able to use blanks with so a wise smitty at the rental place figgered out how to screw a loading lever onto a Colt SA. Thus from a distance it looked like what they needed. (they did comment that ol' Cecil B DeMille did have a desire to have right guns for the right place, so all movie folks were not careless.

Anyways I just found it interesting to see so many "Remington" lookalikes in that one movie. I think in my retirement I am gonna start going back and watch the old movies and tv shows and see what I can see.

I do know some of the dialogue is priceless, like between Martin and Stewart in this movie, and Stewart in the Chyenne Social Club and of course James Garner in Support your local Sherrif...

(please forgive my spelling errors as I have a bit of pain meds on board and not at my best....)

curley

Guest diablo slim shootist
I might have found some of an answer to my own question, (in case anyone is interested!) In the arms catalog from the National Firearms Museum "Real Guns of Reel Heros", in the intro it talks about the fact that cap and ball guns were too much trouble to deal and needed to be able to use blanks with so a wise smitty at the rental place figgered out how to screw a loading lever onto a Colt SA. Thus from a distance it looked like what they needed. (they did comment that ol' Cecil B DeMille did have a desire to have right guns for the right place, so all movie folks were not careless.

Anyways I just found it interesting to see so many "Remington" lookalikes in that one movie. I think in my retirement I am gonna start going back and watch the old movies and tv shows and see what I can see.

I do know some of the dialogue is priceless, like between Martin and Stewart in this movie, and Stewart in the Chyenne Social Club and of course James Garner in Support your local Sherrif...

(please forgive my spelling errors as I have a bit of pain meds on board and not at my best....)

curley

yep thats what they did -hey Curly have you ever used Promo shotshell powder?

thinking of working up a lite load for Cowboy shooten

yep thats what they did -hey Curly have you ever used Promo shotshell powder?

thinking of working up a lite load for Cowboy shooten

No, I found a load I like with Clays when I started loading shotshells, and saw no need to look any further. If you are interested, drop me a pm.

I pretty much use the same cartridge loads I started with in the 70-80's, for 9mm, 38/357 and 45lc. I use Bullseye, Unique and Clays. If I waz like Old Top I would develop loads for all using just Clays. He waz upset when he couldn't come up with a load for the Trapdoor using Clays. Poor guy has to use TWO powders now....

curley

Archived