SASS Wire Forum

It's Almost Reloading Season!

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

Howdy,

After Last Stand In Florida at the beginning of January, I will be entering that three month reloading period while I wait for the shooting season to start again up here in Maryland. Reloading for a family of four Frontier Cartridge shooters, we go through a lot of powder per year, and my supplies are getting low.

We have been using Goex Pinnacle for about the last four years but, after Hodgdon bought Goex, they stopped the production of that powder. We are probably going to end up switching back to American Pioneer Powder, but I keep wondering if Hodgdon will ever release Triple 7 Cowboy, or Triple 7 Lite as I call it. Supposedly it has the same power per volume as real BP not the +15% as regular Triple 7.

Anybody heard anything recent?

Dogmeat Dad

I load FFG Triple 7 in my 44-40 rifle and can tell no difference between that and real black.

I also use FFG Triple 7 in 45CS for my pistols and recoil is mild.

I would not be afraid to use it in place of black at all. It also does not leave that fine powdery dust behind that APP does. If not removed that dust really draws moisture and causes rust on all your reloading equipment.

C D

I doubt that Hodgdon will come out with a sub cowboy powder as they just sent notice that Goex Cowboy is being dis-continued. They also are including the Cartridge powder which is one of the best they make.

Dogmeat - The Maryland CAS winter season will still be active on the 4th Saturday in January & February at the Monocacy Irregulars in Frederick, MD. Come on up and freeze with the rest of the MPC bunch.

I just finished reloading my BP shells for all of next year; the MD BP State shoot. It takes longer to clean up the mess APP leaves than to do the actual loading.

Just got off the phone with Hodgdon's tech guy.

He said that there is not gonna be a lighter version of 777.

They don't think it would generate enough sales to justify making it.

--Dawg

Prairie Dawg,

That is what I figured would happen, sure would have been nice though. Our family posse probably burned up close to 40lbs a year of Pinnacle for each of the last 4 years. Might try to use Real BP in the shotgun shells but it is pretty hard to get around these parts, and living near the Washington, DC area, there are pretty severe restrictions on how much we can have at any time. I guess it's back to APP again. Too Bad!

Oh Well, Thanks Everyone!

Dogmeat Dad

I use 777 in everything I shoot, and even if it is peppier than regular black by 10 or 15% I don't really notice a difference. I have noticed a difference between it and smokeless though - it kicks a lot less. Think it has something to do with the pressure curve ... a hard push instead of a sharp jab. Good stuff, especially in shotguns.

Like the man said, come on down to nice and sunny Central Va. We happily freeze with you.

Archived