SASS Wire Forum

Shotshell Reloading Manual

Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438

I'm about to try my hand at shotshell reloading...I think.

My beloved took a greater-than-usual interest in my interests the last time we were at the Kittery Trading Post, and a box arrived this week with Trading Post markings - just the right size for a MEC Jr. that I was admiring (Jeez - I feel like a 10 yr. old again, sneaking around Mom & Dad's room before Christmas,,,)

So, my mind turns to learning about shotshell reloading. A quick check on line turned up a Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual, and one from STI. Are these the good'uns? I've been hoarding shells for years, so I have a decent supply of AAs; no other components pending perusal of the data. Any other manual recommendations?

Any particularly helpful websites to supplement the manuals?

As usual, your help is greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

LL

Have an older Lyman manual. No matter what you buy, read, read, read again until the process is burned in your mind before you start loading. Shotshell loading is not all that hard, start slowly, just pay attention to the recipes, don't get creative, and you will have a good time reloading. Yours. Nota John

Howdy Loophole

Even though I always advocate learning metallic reloading from a manual, I am completely self taught in shotshell reloading. So I have no recommendations for you regarding a manual.

For Smokeless shotgun I prefer Clays. It really does not matter too much which wad you use, as long as it is the right size for the amount of shot you want to load. I prefer the Remington Figure 8, but there are plenty of others out there. Same with primers, I prefer the Winchester 209 simply because they are easier to find. I prefer to use #8 shot because that is what I use in my Trap shells. Most clubs in these parts will restrict you to 7 1/2 or smaller. I prefer the Remington STS hull to the Win AA because they are still a one piece hull, and they eject a little bit better from a SXS.

You can pick up a free handout from the powder companies at Kittery or anyplace that sells powder. There will be plenty of recipes in these handouts. Just be sure to follow the recipe exactly, no substitutions. If you don't have the specific components, use a different recipe for the components you do have.

The MEC Jr is a great machine, it is the machine I learned shotgun reloading on. It comes stock with a charger bar that only throws 1 1/8 ounces of shot. That is how much I use, but a lot of cowboys like a lighter load. I dunno what powder collets it comes with, but it probably comes with two or three so you can choose a couple of loadings.

I was just up at Kittery the other day myself. I picked up some wads and primers, and another Model 12 followed me home.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. If you would like, perhaps we could get together sometime and I could show you how to use your new MEC.

The Lyman manual is a good one. I also have and really like the Hogdon manual. Like others, Clays is my preffered powder. Good luck and have fun!

I'm new to shotshell reloading also... Had my reloader for maybe 3-4 months... it is really easy.. :blush:

I went onto the Hogdon website...

They will give you the exact recipe to build a featherlite [low noise, low recoil]

They tell you what hull, primer, powder, wad, and shot to use... If you have AA hulls.. put that into the Hodgon recipe..

Invaluable.. I use their recipe and I don't change a thing..

Folks that have reloaded for years tell me.. "We'll to could use this instead of that.." :blush:

I stay with what I know works and what I'm doing from the Hogdon website.. down the road may change that but not for now.. like I said.. I'm new at this :blush:

For what I shoot in CAS.. I might be paying a little more for my items.. but I'm ok with that..

Rance :wacko:

With the constant changing of available reloading components, I have touble finding the recomended ones from my old books. So usually go to www.hodgdon.com and their on line data. Good site.

+1 I use the formulas on line from Hodgdon and don't have any problems. They have info for just about any load you may need. I also get all my reloading componets from "Recobstagetshop.com". Always have plenty of everything in stock, good prices, great shipping. IMHO

Loophole LaRue,

I am also brand new at shotshell reloading with less than 50 rounds total under my belt. I too got a MEC Jr. What I have done is read, buy a couple powder bushings, load a round or two and take it to the range to see if it suits my liking. Repeat as necessary until satisfied. Start the learning now in the winter when you can experiment. I've been stockpiling hulls of my liking (Estate) and have several grocery bags full of them. Get a brick of primers, pick out your powder, your shot, mount the press on a bench, and take your time learning. I use Red Dot, only because I have a bunch of it on hand.

I purchased wads and place them on top of the shot, under the crimp for my Young Guns loads. For Young Guns loads I bought a 1/2 oz shot bar from Midway USA along with a few powder bushings. I'm making very light loads for my son, but he is growing so fast I expect him to aske for more power as he gets bigger.

It's tempting to load a large quantity of shells once you get started, but since I'm new I load a few and take them to the range and test them.

This SASS wire has been a great help to me.

Richard Lee's book Modern Reloading is an excellent book to read (and then it can also be one of your loading manuals.) anyways he has a chaper on Shotshell Reloading (he shows loading on the LeeLoadAll,) but they have similar steps everywhere. And the reason to read his stuff is he explains WHY you are doing what you are doing.

then follow steps. Shotshell loading is easier than cartridges...

I devloped a load at the begining that pretty much matches a Winchester Feather LIte (I actually hate shotguns) using Clays powder because when I started you couldn't get Win. Powder..and I have loaded that same load ever since, because it meets my needs for load, knockdown. recoil and all....I have not changed a thing...since.

curley

In the Shotshell reloading fraternity, and from personal experience, (about 25 years with shotshells), The Lymans Shotshell Reloading Handbook is considered the BIBLE of shotshell handloading. No other book is more complete, or has the huge variety of information that these books have.

The current edition is the Fifth Edition, and was published first in 2007.

RBK

Many thanks forall the suggestions.

The Lyman Manual is ordered; I appreciate the reminder about Modern Reloading - I have a copy, and forgot that it covered shotshells as well as cartridges; the Hodgdon site is super, with comprehensive recipes; and Driftwood, I really appreciate the offer - I'm a book learner first, so let me get through the paper, and then I'll be in touch.

LL

Archived