SASS Wire Forum

1904 circa semiauto shotgun

Tequila Jim #14501

Browning A5

The Browning Auto-5 was the first mass-produced semiautomatic shotgun. Designed by John Browning in 1898 and patented in 1900[2], it was produced continually for almost 100 years by several makers with production ending in 1998. It features a distinctive high rear end, earning it the nickname "Humpback". The top of the action goes straight back on a level with the barrel before cutting down sharply towards the buttstock. This distinctive feature makes it easy to identify A-5s from a distance. A-5s were produced in a variety of gauges, with 12- and 20- predominating; 16 gauge (not produced between 1976 and 1987) models were also available. The gun was produced from 1902 to 1999.

Thats what I was thiking, a Browning, just wasn't sure about the time period. There are 6 men seated or standing

on what I would describe as a hay wagon. Quite a variety of long guns. besides those holding weapons there is what I would call a bivwak stack of long guns. If you go to Facebook and type in William L Araiza you can see this picture.

Redards TJ

And gist think I've always liked ye to. Every Bobwhite I've ever kilt was kilt wid one.

RRR

Ray,

We're still friends - But man oh man, it has always seemed to me that A5's and all the foreign clones of the A5 were nasty kicking so and so's.

I could shoot the same rounds thru a 97, an 870, an 1100, a Benelli, etc. and grin about it - Give me an Auto 5 and I feel like a truck hit me.

Course - I dislike shooting SxS's for the same reason - must be certain shotguns I just hold 'em wrong?

The Remington M-11 is a lookalike for the old Browning A-5. And the Remington autoloader is listed in the 1906 Remington catalog (not named the Model 11 until after it had been in use a while). I don't have a 1904 or 5 Rem catalog, so don't know for sure if it was made earlier than 1906, but it mighta.

Trooper

The Remington M-11 is a lookalike for the old Browning A-5. And the Remington autoloader is listed in the 1906 Remington catalog (not named the Model 11 until after it had been in use a while). I don't have a 1904 or 5 Rem catalog, so don't know for sure if it was made earlier than 1906, but it mighta.

Trooper

That's what I was thinkin'.

With the picture dated 1904, that would probably be a Browning made in Belgium. As I believe the story goes that when John Browning was to meet with Remington in 1902, the Remington president had heart attack and died just prior to meeting. Browning then took prototypes and drawings to FN in Belgium and they started producing the gun. He did not get back with Remington until 1905 with about 7,800 Remington Auto Shotguns being produced that first year.

As an interesting side note, he first went to Winchester but wanted different than their usual compensation with him and they turned him down. This was in May 1900. Browning took his two prototypes and drawings and left.

Archived