SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmith advises me throw away screwdrivers

Irish Pat

I got the Super BlackHawk hammers in my new two Vaqueros, one main spring is now behind my freezer, Longhunter sent me TWO replacements incase I lost a second one. Put them back together about ten times each One cylinder freespining, other won't turn with loading gate open, have to put hammer on half cock like a Colt. All screws buggerd up. Finally took them to local gunsmith who at first glance he said loading gate spring was sticking outside at bottom of loading gate. fixed in 5 minutes, on the other pistol that the cylinder won't quit spinning and lock up up at all, he said i smashed the little plunger in front of the trigger to a flat pulp, part of it had brokeoff and please throw away my screw drivers. I think I will get some extra srcews from Ruger for Christmas, Irish Pat , sass 19486

Sounds like good advise, sometimes it pays to have someone do it for you, especially if you not sure what you are doing, as for the screws, you can order them from Brownells, they are not cheap by the way, if you plan on taking them apart again, get good gunsmithing screwdrivers from Brownells also, the magna tips is what I would advise. Not sure how you screwed up the screws unless you was using a regular screwdriver then you will screw the heads up, takes special screwdrivers for working on guns, you can also order the spring and plunger from Brownells also, I have all the screws by 2, I have at least 6 sets of ruger's, but have never screwed up a screw yet, knock on wood, hope you got them running again.

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. For all the posts you have had about ruger, your gunsmith gave good advise, not everyone can do it, you have to know your limitations, I'm not bashing you by all means, it is nice when you can tear something down and put back together and work, cheaper yourself doing it but sometimes it pays to have someone else do it

I got the Super BlackHawk hammers in my new two Vaqueros, one main spring is now behind my freezer, Longhunter sent me TWO replacements incase I lost a second one. Put them back together about ten times each One cylinder freespining, other won't turn with loading gate open, have to put hammer on half cock like a Colt. All screws buggerd up. Finally took them to local gunsmith who at first glance he said loading gate spring was sticking outside at bottom of loading gate. fixed in 5 minutes, on the other pistol that the cylinder won't quit spinning and lock up up at all, he said i smashed the little plunger in front of the trigger to a flat pulp, part of it had brokeoff and please throw away my screw drivers. I think I will get some extra srcews from Ruger for Christmas, Irish Pat , sass 19486

Dang I'm glad you posted that.......................................... I did the same thing almost. Didn't bugger up the screws but the other two items fit to a T. Took em to Tommy in plactic bags. He fixed them and I wanted the transfer bars left out. They of course, wouldn't shoot without them, tried to put them in one gun myself........................... went back to Tommy in a plactic bag and he fixed them in about 5 minutes. I won't try it again.

And if I may add another piece of advise:

Don't ever buy a Dremel tool either. :)

..........Widder Clause (Walkin ina WidderWonder Land)

There is a 12 step program for gun owners that are cursed with a Dremel...

Olen

please throw away my screw drivers. I think I will get some extra srcews from Ruger for Christmas, Irish Pat , sass 19486

Most of my gunsmith screwdrivers (save one set of Forester long handled drivers) are Brownells kits. Either generic gunsmithing kits or gun specific individual driver kits, such as a driver that has bits specifically for Ruger single actions. I keep to piles of drivers. The brand new pile which contains brand new drivers and bits or close to it and the other pile which contains drivers and bits that have seen a better day. It is those that I can regrind for those odd ball weird sized screws that the standard bits do not fit. So it's close to pitching them out, but saved for a potential future use. Smithy.

My gunsmith told me to keep my dremel tool with the 5 horse power motor.

He can allways use some extra work, For a FEE. :):P:D

Hi Pat,

If you will do that I promise to never go into the banking bidnis!!! :)

My flying parts wind up under the washing machine next to the wash tubs kinda sorta near my work bench deeply embedded in the dust bunnies. How did yours get under the refrigerator? HOME GUNSMITHING!! yahoo! Ride 'em cowboy. The REAL Wild West. For all those who are horrid home gunsmiths like me- take Nate's advice above. Take the "Bag guns" to a REAL gunsmith and let him do his job proper

Pat, I believe you are the FIRST Kitchen Table gunsmith that did the right move, going to a gunsmith for healing advice instead of posting on the Wire 'How Do I ..." I tip my hat to you admitting you had to make the gunsmith trip

PS: Talking about screwdrivers and buggered screws ... ever looked closely at the firearms while being a Loading Officer? I've seen some that looked like they were chewed by a rat. The missing bluing on screws glaring in your eyes from the end of the table is a dead give away :)

brownells magna tips.

180-3

210-3

240-3

340-3

270-2

180-2

120-1

210-2

240-5

150-3

210-4

240-6

this in addtion to a couple of screwdriver handles will take care of

a number of cas guns.

I have a dremel tool, brand new in box if anyone wants it.

Make a good offer, no refunds or returns. hehehehe

Best

CR

after many years I have learned that every-time I do more than the basic tear down for cleaning on my guns, and when I try to fix them myself my gunsmith gets paid! he loves it when I walk in with a shoe box full of what used to be one of my guns and hand it to him, his line is always you tried to fix it yourself again?

Rafe :blush:

I knew a bicycle dealer whose motto was "You can make more money by giving away spoke wrenches than by selling them."

Yep, there's good money in trueing a wheel after someone's tightened their spokes!

Well if you can restrict the dremel use to the cutoff wheel and just use it to reshape the blades of your screwdrivers to perfectly fit the screw head in question (with parallel sides in the slot of course) and be careful enough that you do not wreck the heat treatment of the driver tip while you are grinding it (or if you do then know how to reharden and temper the tip)........

You know on reflection perhaps the advice to not own a Dremel in the first place is the one to go with...

learn to reshape your driver tips with fine cut files (I like the swiss pattern for this)

one of the best gunsmiths I ever knew was back in the 1950s and he was in his 80s then he had worked for Colt and Winchester and the real Springfield Armory and he told me that as an apprentice as a 15 year old kid in the 1880s he did nothing but learn how to use files for his first year. he showed me his "prentice piece" that let him move on to the next level it was a block of steel 1x2x3 yup a 123 block accurate to better than .001 in every dimension and perfectly square as well the kicker was a rectangular hoop that was 1/2 inch square material that the block would just fit through with no wobble or shake and the fit so fine that a cigaret paper would not slip between block and hoop

other than the original shaping of the pieces with hand saws and cold chisels all of the work was done with files and final draw file finish was just plain amazing. he told me that after initial instruction work on them was all done on his own time and that most of the other boys were still at it long after he had moved out of the filing room and to the next stage of learning his craft. he told me that only about 3 in 10 of those that started in the program ended up as fully qualified gunsmiths.

I think he valued his skills with files and stones as his most valuable. it was an privilege to know him.

Cheers

Windy

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Hi Pat,

hope you didn't use the Dremel on the sight for the 94 I sent you!

Widder: I have a Dremel and love it: I only use it on my HO guage trains! See you tomorrow at Ocoee Rnagers Christmas Shoot'

Hoss

Hi Pat,

hope you didn't use the Dremel on the sight for the 94 I sent you!

Widder: I have a Dremel and love it: I only use it on my HO guage trains! See you tomorrow at Ocoee Rnagers Christmas Shoot'

Hoss

Howdy Hoss. Miss shootin with ya.

I won't be at the shoot and party on Saturday.

Besides the weather keeping me hindered, I usually dedicate most of December to the Wife and Daughter. Tomorrow, me and the teenager is gona hit the Mall and find 'Mrs Clause' something nice for Christmas.

TOP SECRET: the Widdermatic was created using a Dremel. Its one of the best 'kitchen table' gunsmithin jobs I ever done.

See you and the other Rangers when warmer weather comes back.

..........Widder

Pat, You are a nice guy and I enjoy the times we get to shoot together. I think your calling was to be in the banking business not as a gunsmith. I'm happy to see you allow a trained person to take over. When I was a armorer for the Sheriffs Office in Baton Rouge you would not believe now many guns we received each day in bags or boxes. We would tell them that the badge did not make them gunsmiths just as the SASS card in one's wallet does not work that way also. Take Care and you and Taco Bill have a Nice Christmas with your families.

To be a good gunsmith requires lifelong experience....enough tools to create a mortgage and the patience of a Saint...........So I send my guns out......man gave you good advise.,..... recently I picked up a file for my OM Vaqueros in an attempt to save 100 bucks...cost me $300...I have to relearn my limitations occasionally..:wacko: DC

Just train your Dremel (better yet the nut that operates the "start" button) not to run when a gun is on the workbench! ;)

Worked for me; kinda, sorta. Still carving on laminated thumbhole stock on 10/22. 10 year project so far; but I KNOW it will fit my hand when I finish it! :lol:

In defense of the maligned dremel, its great for polishing with the craytex wheels. Smoothing up mortises with the little sanding wheel is another. And if you've ever inlet a muzzleloader lock you'll appreciate its handiness for a number of tasks in taking out wood for the tumbler, mainspring, etc. One just has to be real careful and when in doubt, use a file or sharp chisel. That said, I agree that you can really screw the pooch if a slip occurs. Mine gets more use on wood than metal and has paid for itself many times over. If nothing else it is absolutely great for building pine derby cars.

+1 on the proper fitting screwdrivers. One additional thought....if it won't loosen don't rush it. Thats where penetrating oil, maybe a rap with a non marring hammer, and disciplined patience is a necessity. Even the best fitting blade in the world can twist a seized up screw in two.

Wow, pard, sounds like you need to slow down when you're doing any "gunsmithing." That, and throw away your screwdrivers. Gunsmiths use specially made screwdrivers and they have hundreds in their tool boxes. They are designed to fit specific screws, not size ranges.

Slow down, make sure you know what you're doing before you do it. You should never have guns with springs hanging out the bottom.

My gunsmith promises not to work on any electrical problems from 120 to 230.000 volts and I don't work on guns. So far it has worked out well for the both of us. :FlagAm:

Archived