SASS Wire Forum

Who Represents Non-Club Members

Assassin

I've been active in SASS since 1996. Been a member of several clubs, and held positions in those organizations; VP, safety officer, range master, etc. I always help with posse duties, do more than my share. Help take down targets, sometimes write scenerios and set up for monthly matches. Also, build props, and repair just about anything. However, I choose not to join any particular club. And, I have no representation. How many others choose not to join clubs.

Who do I get to represent me?

:rolleyes:

LL'

I've been active in SASS since 1996. Been a member of several clubs, and held positions in those organizations; VP, safety officer, range master, etc. I always help with posse duties, do more than my share. Help take down targets, sometimes write scenerios and set up for monthly matches. Also, build props, and repair just about anything. However, I choose not to join any particular club. And, I have no representation. How many others choose not to join clubs.

:rolleyes:

LL'

He does belong to a club. He belongs to SASS, and as such, is deserving of a voice in the decisions of SASS that TG's are allowed to vote on. Many SASS members do not belong to a local club, for many reasons. Yet their yearly or life fees are paid to SASS, and they do not deserve to be treated as second class members. If anyone joins SASS, they should not be forced to join another fee charging organization to simply have a voice in the orginazation they have alredy paid to belong to.

There needs to be a way for non-local club members, that are SASS members, to be represented by a TG. If they are not represented at all, then they are being deprived of their voice in SASS, that they have paid to have.

You cannot have two diferent levels of membership in SASS. To do so is just flat wrong.

I would sugest an area or state TG appointed to represent all SASS members of the state or area defined that are not members of a local club.

Or, do as I did when I didn't belong to any club but SASS and find a local TG that would listen to you and take your vote and comments on upcomming issues.

Greeenriver

Greeenriver

At most places I shoot, they have a meeting to discuss the agenda items with the shooters present. Then they take a vote. I've never seen them ask who were member of the particular club. Of course, the same folks normally show up - most are local club members, but not all.

I know some TG's also send out emails. Those are normally done by an email list. Some clubs do the email list by members only, but most have lists of frequent shooters.

So LL there is a good chance that your voice was heard - but you know more than I would.

Howdy

You don't have to be a member of a club. I shoot Cowboy at a whole bunch of different clubs. I do not belong to any of them. I do belong to my local gunclub, have been an officer and am a very active member. It just ain't a cowboy club. I agree that I pay my dues every year to SASS and I should not have to join another organization to have my voice heard.

As a matter of fact, the TG for several of the clubs I shoot at usually includes me in his e-mails when there are agenda items up for grabs. I had a good deal to do with the issue of the Black Powder Smoke Standard a few years ago. I voted two separate years on whether or not to allow the Big Boy in. Ya don't have to be a member of a club, ya just have to show up and make your voice heard.

Back before I was a member of a club, I asked this same question here. I had several TGs offer to take my vote. It was that simple.

DM

We don't have any "Club" members......There's no dues,etc.......We just show up and shoot.......Some of us make sure everything happens....No officers are elected...Just a loose comm of some dedicated cowboys that want to shoot without any politics and have fun. We're in our 6th year.......Don't see any reason to change the way it works.

We have a TG to represent us, and if you've ever shot at our club, you will be in our database and will be made aware of anything you should know about rule changes,etc....If your at our shoot the month before the convention,you get to vote.

I shoot at 4 clubs......I pay dues at one club, the others sort of feel if you buy one of their badges thats all you got to do.

I'm represented by 4 TG's......If you feel that your not represented by a TG, look one up in the CC and give him a call..

Real easy to be represented......

Hellfire

We have belonged to a couple different clubs in the last 3 years. They aren't in our home state and we have never been contacted by those TG's for our vote. And, yes, I did ask when we signed up to be included in the voting because it was the only club we belonged to.

There is a TG in Iowa who always asks for our vote. We don't belong to the clubs he officially represents. There is also a TG in Missouri who includes us.

I do agree there should be a way for SASS members who choose to not belong to local clubs to vote. Perhaps something on the web page you could respond to. I suppose it would be possible for a person to vote there and also vote at their club but then lots of folks vote more than once anyway. i.e. they belong to several clubs and I would imagine they vote at each one.

Sorry, Allie, but I think you're wrong on this one.

LL, you'll be a much happier cowboy if you don't let little stuff like this get to you. :)

I know of several shooters who do not actually belong to any club. If they voice their opinion, I as TG count it. The biggest problem that I have seen before the Convention is that only 2 or 3 will actually let you know how they feel. This year out of 45 shooters, I only got 2 emails and the Officers votes. Over 100 were notified and you can see how many responded. Now that the vote is in, I'm sure that will change.

This same debate will happen again next year and the next.

Shenny

LL,

No doubt, you do your share of the work. Way to go, amigo.

I don't have anything to add to the advice that you are gettin' here.

Howsomever, when I was much younger I was greatly attracted to the "Lone Wolf -- No Club" moniker. I still like it, after all these years:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LONE-WOLF-NO-CLUB-DELU...=item35ae153059

Put one of these on your gun cart and you may be surprised at how many club members will approach you and ask you to "join" their outfit. :blush:

Personally, I "belong" to one SASS/CAS club and find that my connection to them (and my dues) provide me with many benefits and opportunities to serve that far outweigh my desire to be a lone wolf...

Pinto (bayin' at the moon) Being

I put a stack of ballots in the club house for voting purposes. Remind the shooters that the ballots are there, and collect them after the match. I don't ask for names on the ballots. So I represent all the shooters that have filled in the ballots, club member or not.

We have belonged to a couple different clubs in the last 3 years. They aren't in our home state and we have never been contacted by those TG's for our vote. And, yes, I did ask when we signed up to be included in the voting because it was the only club we belonged to.

There is a TG in Iowa who always asks for our vote. We don't belong to the clubs he officially represents. There is also a TG in Missouri who includes us.

I do agree there should be a way for SASS members who choose to not belong to local clubs to vote. Perhaps something on the web page you could respond to. I suppose it would be possible for a person to vote there and also vote at their club but then lots of folks vote more than once anyway. i.e. they belong to several clubs and I would imagine they vote at each one.

Sorry, Allie, but I think you're wrong on this one.

LL, you'll be a much happier cowboy if you don't let little stuff like this get to you. :blush:

I sure like the contents of this post.

A little confused with the original post. .."been a club member ....held offices". "...choose not to join a particular club".

Anyway, the system is available for everyone to have a voice if they choose. Key word is choice. Want a voice then join a club.

Another perspective would be that those belonging to several clubs and casting multiple votes makes up for those that choose not to belong to a club.

I've yet to meet a TG from border to border or coast to coast that doesn't want to hear what you have to say!

But heck, what do I know. I still favor the Wild Bunch decision making body over the TG system.

perhaps representation is part of

Riding for the brand (joining a club)

Pretty harsh insult MM. I've brought out dozens of folks and introduced them to CAS, supplied guns and ammo without compensation, that's not riding for the brand? Took the first ROII class ever held at WR2000, so I could help out others, that's not riding for the brand? WR Posse Marshal several times, that's not riding for the brand? Always, do more than my share of posse duties, that's not riding for the brand? Built more targets and props than most clubs have ever seen, that's not riding for the brand? I'm there when a shooter needs help or needs assistance, that's not riding for the brand? I have my reasons for not joining my local club(s). And, ask anyone that has shot with me, I do ride for the brand! I don't look down on others just because they don't belong to a local club. They pay their SASS membership the same as club members. It is the SASS convention not the local club convention.

Louisiana (Rides For The Brand) Lightnin'

:FlagAm:

LL'

Well I am a member of several clubs, and have always felt that the TG system is OK, but flawed.

If we look at this year alone, we had 4 simple questions on rule changes (Thank Goodness there were not more!)

OK.

So why a big TG conference on these things? I don't know.

It looks like to me that SASS could just send out a postcard to paid-up members, and just ask for votes on these things.

Simple, relatively cheap (Really Cheap vs Hotel stay in Vegas).

This way, you and all SASS members are represented fairly.

fdd

:FlagAm::blink::huh::blink::FlagAm:

I'm a SASS lifer, TG, RO & all that. Also NRA lifer, AMNG lifer, CRO, etc. but I (we) don't join every club we shoot at.

Some club dues around here are as cheap as $20 per year and some are $200+ per year. So we are selective as to which we join.

Merry Christmas to all!

Mustang Gregg & Calamity JoAnne

I am not a member of the Rockford Regulators...but I just recently joined up with the state SASS affiliated club Wolverine Rangers. I would like to join up with the RR so it's time I figger out how to do that...reason?....they are a great group of folks to shoot with and put on a safe, helpful, inviting shoot. I miss 'em too as I haven't shot for quite sometime.

but no, you do not need to be a member of any particular club from what I understand. However, if'n the club does you right it doesn't hurt to support 'em.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I know of several shooters who do not actually belong to any club. If they voice their opinion, I as TG count it. The biggest problem that I have seen before the Convention is that only 2 or 3 will actually let you know how they feel. This year out of 45 shooters, I only got 2 emails and the Officers votes. Over 100 were notified and you can see how many responded. Now that the vote is in, I'm sure that will change.

This same debate will happen again next year and the next.

Shenny

this is more common

than most shooters think

:FlagAm:

So why a big TG conference on these things? I don't know.

It looks like to me that SASS could just send out a postcard to paid-up members, and just ask for votes on these things.

Simple, relatively cheap (Really Cheap vs Hotel stay in Vegas).

This way, you and all SASS members are represented fairly.

fdd

I don't have a problem with you flying out to New Mexico or the Conference site to count , catagorize , summarize and report all the mail in votes.

Great idea and thanks for volunteering.

Your contributions and participation at shoots is appreciated. Like Madd Mike said.... membership is part of ridin for the brand. I believe in supporting my club and belong to more than one.

Your question of "Who represents me"? is similar to:

-I am not a sass member why can't I shoot in sanctioned events

-I am not an NRA member why don't I get the insurance

-I don't belong to the golf course why can't I reserve tee times

etc.

While it appears that you are a good cowboy and participate and do your fair share it would be natural for you to financially support a club. Most clubs offer a member shoot and for a little more than the cost of a shoot you can join.... at least it's that way at my one club in Indiana.

But, if you are having a tough time with this just do like many.... when the TG calls everyone together to ask the questions, you can respond.... I was involved at several shoots that I was not a member of and participated in feedback to the TG.... they don't take a roll call....

Just my two scents.

KK

LL,

Seems to me that the answer to your question is, you should be represented by at least one TG for your region. After all, Territorial Governor is a SASS position, not an office of the local club. If TGs are only representing LOCAL club MEMBERS, they are working for the local club and not SASS!

The TG at the club where I shoot did much like others are reporting their TGs did. He took a few minutes to describe the proposed changes and gave all the shooters present an opportunity to vote their opinion, and did this without respect to whether those present were local club members. There was also an announcement in the club newsletter with contact info, but only a club member would have seen that.

The thing is, if you know a vote is coming up and you know who the TGs are, just talk to them. They are here to represent all of SASS and that includes non-members of local clubs. if you attended a shoot in November you should have had a chance to voice your opinion.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas to you and here's hoping you'll find someone's remarks to be helpful. I'm sure we can all agree that we want all members of SASS who have an opinion to feel that their voice has been heard!

Hi-Yo and Awaaaaaay,

TMM

Hey LL,

I've only shot with you once which was only my second shoot at the Colorado Cowboys annual in 09. You and the Mrs. were what I now consider the best example of SASS members. Both were super helpful and friendly to all.

As was said in this thread already, you are a member of a big club. As I understand, having a voice in the direction of SASS is the representation you're talking about. A few have said that the TG's take you're vote without having a local club card.

I think in this internet world that SASS could set up some kind of voting site that requires SASS membership. I also ask why you haven't joined any clubs? I'm pretty sure more than a few would welcome you on their boards. Not having any affiliation with a particular club would also make you a non-biased TG!

Take care and hope to shoot with you again,

Whiskey James

Archived