SASS Wire Forum

Loading Smokeless 12ga shotgun shells

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

I am a darksider so loading real BP is no problem.I have on occasion loaded addtional items to my shotgun loads.Confetti streamers incense to mention a few.But I am wondering if I were to add any of these ingredients to a smokless load would that create a safety issue.Just want to be safe.

Thanks

Sgt Hochbauer :rolleyes:

I know folks that have added colored chalk with their lead. Since it is light, it shouldn't be a problem with a moderate load. Some have used feathers as well. Of course you want this in the shot cut, not with the powder.

I know folks that have added colored chalk with their lead... Some have used feathers as well...

I have to ask, What was the purpose of these?

Howdy

I make it a point when loading Smokeless shotshells to stick strictly to the exact recipe I am using. I make no substitutions and neither should you. If I don't have the particular wad called for, or the particular primer, I do not substitute, instead I find a recipe for the components I have.

Small changes in components, like substituting a different hull, or wad, or primer, can have unpredictable effects on pressure. It ain't like reloading for metallic, where substituting one brand of brass, or a different brand of primer does not make much difference. And it ain't like loading BP in a shotshell either, the pressure of BP is low and the curve is long. Smokeless pressures are considerably higher than BP pressures, and the pressure curve is short and abrupt. Shotgun barrel walls are extremely thin. They will not stand much of an overcharge. I would not dream of adding confetti or streamers, or anything else to a Smokeless shotshell recipe. Add anything at all to the payload, and you will increase pressure. That is an inescapable law of physics. Save the joke loads for BP, which is more forgiving, pressure wise.

Smokeeeeeless powder??

Next thing you'll be tellin' me that trains run on coal oil.......

Archived