SASS Wire Forum

Wanting to replace rear sight on '66

Back 40 #23910 L

I am wanting to replace the rear ladder sight on a used '66 I just bought with a semi buckhorn. Since there is such a short base from the receiver, what do you guys/gals recommend? I found these, will they work. http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main...;products_id=48

Thanks in advance!

That will work fine, but I would recommend that you try out some other folks rifles before you settle on the full buckhorn.

Some like the buck horn and use it as a large peep sight. The site you mention works well for them.

Others do not like the extra metal on the side as it interferes for them moving between targets. These folks prefer something like:

Low Semi-buckhorn Sight

or:

Flat Top Rear Carbine Sight (bottom of page)

So you need to try each to see what works best for you.

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

If you need to cut another dovetail for the new sight to clear, it's easy. The metal is soft so you can do it by hand with the proper files from Brownells or a gunsmith can mill it for you. Make sure you center mark the top of the barrel and go slow. It won't take long. On Uberti '66s it's quicker for me to do it by hand than walk into the other shop and set up the machine for dovetails.

Warning: I do suggest you pay to have it done if you haven't practiced this however as the cost for the cut is low, usually around $35 if it's the only work you're having done, and the files aren't cheap. Barrels are even more expensive.

Joe

Howdy Back 40

What Maruader said is fine.. if that's the sight you want...

I've got 2 "66's... I had Spur put on the Marbles Peep sight on both... I don't use any reduction ring... just use the mandrel to look thru... Kind of a ghost ring. It gives quick sight picture and target aquisition... I've used them for about 5 years.. no problems.. I've found that if I'm looking anywhere thru the ghost ring.. and the front sight is on the target.. Pull the trigger and it will hit.. Your welcome to try mine out down at this years Midwest Classic.. yeah.. I'll probably be there.. ;) any buckles for sale?? ;)

Only thing I worry about with them is if I've got a real far long distance target... really ain't nothin' to bare down on.. I've adjusted mine the best I can to shoot point of aim with front sight in the center of the ghost ring.. they hit but it's a little scary. that's about all I know about this subject.. ain't much Huh?

Rance :rolleyes:

Thinkin' probably should know more :blush:

Archived